Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going back to basic phones is great!

Re: Going back to basic phones is great!

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Mobile phones were originally for emergency situations only. If only we had a crystal ball in to the future.
    Everything in hindsight is 20/20

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I don't think the news channels on pub TVs is necessarily desire of the younger generation; it seems to be something that pub staff of pretty much all ages assume they're expected to do 'by default' these days.

Let's face it, there's no official 'legislation' compulsory by law that warrants it, but do we really all want to be bombarded with all the horrible things going on in the world shoved into our faces when places like pubs should ultimately serve to be some kind of 'escape' from all the humdrum and mundane of ordinary everyday life, rather than serve to be just another 'extension' (and 'reminder') of it, coupled with even further unnecessary sensory overload?
    I was replying to you, and then the area had a powercut for an hour. I started to worry because I was disconnected from everything. Lay on the bed tried to calm myself because my heart was going like the clappers. I'd calmed a bit and decided to sweep and mop the inside of the block to keep my head busy. Everyone started talking to me, and one neighbor offered me a Sunday roast. I thanked her dearly, but had to decline because I am in the process of cooking a curry.

Such lovely people. Never experienced that before.

I didn't mean going to the pub to watch news is a good thing. That would be very boring. Most go to the pub to escape life. I've not been to a pub in a while, but I'd imagine this is more common in smaller local pubs? Saying that mate, I'm sure I went to the Weatherspoon's one morning for breakfast and they had BBC playing.

What I meant in my last reply was less people are going to the pub. And I think that's a shame because for me it was the highlight of my week every Sunday meeting all the family, having food, chatting, and having that time together. I really do miss that. And it's not something that will return to my family. Some are gone forever and that displaced things. Not to mention most people can't afford it.

Everything is changing. And I don't like it. I now know how my parents, and grandparents, felt when I was a teenager. They said the same thing. We're the "moaners", but we're yearning to go back to a better time.

I take comfort in enjoying the things in my past. Including the phone.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I was replying to you, and then the area had a powercut for an hour. I started to worry because I was disconnected from everything. Lay on the bed tried to calm myself because my heart was going like the clappers. I'd calmed a bit and decided to sweep and mop the inside of the block to keep my head busy. Everyone started talking to me, and one neighbor offered me a Sunday roast. I thanked her dearly, but had to decline because I am in the process of cooking a curry.

Such lovely people. Never experienced that before.

I didn't mean going to the pub to watch news is a good thing. That would be very boring. Most go to the pub to escape life. I've not been to a pub in a while, but I'd imagine this is more common in smaller local pubs? Saying that mate, I'm sure I went to the Weatherspoon's one morning for breakfast and they had BBC playing.

What I meant in my last reply was less people are going to the pub. And I think that's a shame because for me it was the highlight of my week every Sunday meeting all the family, having food, chatting, and having that time together. I really do miss that. And it's not something that will return to my family. Some are gone forever and that displaced things. Not to mention most people can't afford it.

Everything is changing. And I don't like it. I now know how my parents, and grandparents, felt when I was a teenager. They said the same thing. We're the "moaners", but we're yearning to go back to a better time.

I take comfort in enjoying the things in my past. Including the phone.
    I'm not quite so sure there was ever really any such thing as a truly 'better time' as pretty much every 'past' era had its respective problems and issues, trials and tribulations, blah blah blah, but of course the media was far more limited and indeed far less instantaneous unlike today, so we were therefore much less aware of many things, plus I think a lot of this 'good old days' lark can sometimes simply be 'in the mind'.

But I still agree though that 'less is more' in terms of news and media in general.

As for seemingly fewer younger people visiting pubs compared to most past decades, they've often been known to get it in the neck and be perceived as a nuisance to other punters (which isn't always true, of course), so hardly surprising they give such places a wide berth a lot more nowadays as they often don't feel welcomed.

There was a Samsung phone I got recently, and all the WiFi did was connect briefly, then mess around. It kept disconnecting, and I found it was such a pain. No other device I have has this issue.

I decided just to sell the phone. I only had it like a month or so.

Can totally understand this chat , I ve gone back to my so called 'burner phone.' ....a tesco imo dash phone. sim only deal £5 a month . All texts are free and theres hundreds of free mins talktime. I ve come to realise that the less complicated your phone is -the more easier your life is !.

I use Smarty. So my unlimited data plan won't work unless it's a smartphone. However, I had considered just using free WiFi zones on a smartphone, and getting a normal (non-Internet enabled) phone for contacting people, to save the battery.

Some public places don't even have any power outlets at the tables. So if my power ran out far from home, I would be screwed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information