Thread: Certain its Colon Cancer

Certain its Colon Cancer

Hello,
    I have been experiencing some problems over the last month and I am terrified that I have colon cancer at this point. Let me tell you a bit of my background. I am 41 years old next week. Male and in shape. I have had a colonoscopy before about 12 year ago because of terrible stomach cramps, gas, diarrhea and constipation etc. Back then I got the all clear. No polyps or anything like that. Diagnosed with IBS. I have had IBS flare ups over the last 12 year on and off but nothing too bad.
    Over the last few years I have had blood in my stool though Drs always said it was from hemorrhoids. This had to be true because I actually had some protrude from the anus and I could feel them so I knew thats where the blood was coming from.
    Now this month has been a rollercoaster. I have had bouts of diarrhea, constipation, sometimes both at the same time. My gas has been way more foul smelling than ever before in my life and twice Ive been woken up in the night with severe stomach cramps/pain and then having to go do the bathroom and have had diarrhea and sometimes pellet like constipated stool first which goes into diarrhea. Sorry I know TMI. In the last 4-5 weeks I have had probably two or three normal bowel movements.
    I live in the states and so getting even a gastro appt can take months so I am trying to just get a colonoscopy referral because I know that is the only sure fire way to find or rule out CC. I posted here mainly to vent because I don't really have anyone to talk to at this point about it. Does this sound similar to your CC symptoms? The internet is littered with stories of just smelly farts being a sign that made them go in and get it discovered. I know Dr. Google is bad. Anyway thanks for letting me rant. Any comments/experiences or reassurance are appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Certain its Colon Cancer

It does sound very IBS-y. But it sounds like you would like to have a colonoscopy for peace of mind. I had one recently and had a flat polyp removed…. So they are definitely worthwhile things to have. However since it takes about 20 years for a polyp to become cancer i think your clear one 12 years ago (with very similar symptoms) should be reassuring for you

Really? Where is this information that it takes 20 years?

No sorry it’s 10 - 15 years, i checked. (if it becomes cancer at all. Most - 95% - dont). Nonetheless, you would be pretty unlucky to have cancer within 12 years of a clean colonoscopy, dont you think?!

Indeed. I tend to be affected by Murphy's Law though lol. Unlikely things happen to me. I was diagnosed with Melanoma at age 30. Luckily caught it early and thus that is what triggered my hypochondria.

Thread Information