Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Carnation’s New Thread - Anxiety, setbacks and tips

Re: Carnation’s New Thread - Anxiety, setbacks and tips

Lencoboy, you are unlikely to see someone smoking in a supermarket or anywhere which involves building or public transport.
    That hasn't been an issue for nearly 15 years.
    But you won't stop seeing people smoke and it's their choice to do so. As it is to drink alcohol.
    I know this is an issue for you 'smoking' but please remember that some people do smoke, are considerate smokers and wouldn't affect you anymore. So why you keep bringing the issue up, I have no idea.
    FYI, I smoke. And I appreciate non-smokers don't like it and I take that into consideration when I have a fag.
    Thankfully I also have a partner who doesn't preach to me and let's me enjoy my smoke in peace.
    Your experiences as a child with smoking is in the past Lencoboy, it's not your future and not even your present.

Not a smoker, Carnation, but tobacco shops are one of my top 3 favourite smells in the world

Honestly, I'd take the smell of honest cigarette smoke over fake sugary vape any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Lencoboy, you are unlikely to see someone smoking in a supermarket or anywhere which involves building or public transport.
    That hasn't been an issue for nearly 15 years.
    But you won't stop seeing people smoke and it's their choice to do so. As it is to drink alcohol.
    I know this is an issue for you 'smoking' but please remember that some people do smoke, are considerate smokers and wouldn't affect you anymore. So why you keep bringing the issue up, I have no idea.
    FYI, I smoke. And I appreciate non-smokers don't like it and I take that into consideration when I have a fag.
    Thankfully I also have a partner who doesn't preach to me and let's me enjoy my smoke in peace.
    Your experiences as a child with smoking is in the past Lencoboy, it's not your future and not even your present.
    It's not people smoking as a whole that I've got issue with (nor do I have any beef with you for being a smoker yourself for the record), and I'm sure the vast majority of smokers (including yourself) indulge in said habit responsibly and in accordance with current legislation and not 'on the sly', but people indulging in said habit inappropriately, especially in vehicles with children present (which has been against the law in this country for almost a decade now), is what I mostly disapprove of.

And I never for once suggested anything about the possibility of people smoking in shops, etc (which is extremely unlikely, as it was already forbidden in almost all shops donkeys years before the 2007 smoking ban); it was more about witnessing parents losing their temper with their children in such places and dishing out hard whacks, swearing loudly at them, etc, which amounts to both child abuse and ASB.

I've had this obsession on and off for almost 30 years now, and it seems to be getting worse of late (the obsession, not necessarily the actual 'incidents').

I often feel like a bad and judgemental person myself for it at times too, but I just can't stand seeing defenceless children being ill-treated often through no direct fault of their own, be it violently walloped, aggressively addressed with tirades of F and/or C-bombs or smoked around in confined spaces, such as motor vehicles.

Times and places for things, and all that.

It must be wonderful to be devoid of flaws, Lenco.
    Has it ever occurred to you that these defenceless kids you talk about are only a couple of years away from being the youths you hate so much?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Not a smoker, Carnation, but tobacco shops are one of my top 3 favourite smells in the world .
    I can kind of see the logic there BI, as tobacco shops are probably a nostalgic reminder of a largely bygone era for many, smokers or non-smokers.

On a similar note, as I already mentioned in another thread recently, I feel a sense of nostalgia for old Carling paraphernalia from the 70s-80s era when said lager was known as Carling Black Label that came in bright red cans with the logo encapsulated literally in a slanted 'black label' symbol, bearing the words (as stylised) 'CARLING Black Label LAGER'. And by the 90s they had not only ditched the classic red can design but had also ditched the words 'Black Label'.

And all despite me being a lifelong teetotaler as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    It must be wonderful to be devoid of flaws, Lenco.
    Has it ever occurred to you that these defenceless kids you talk about are only a couple of years away from being the youths you hate so much?
    The 'youths I hate so much' are often (but not always, of course) a by-product of such ill-treatment by their parents/carers who tend to grow up with the idea that violence and aggression is the norm, especially in order to get one's own way right here right now, though of course at the opposite extreme there are others who are out of control as a result of too lax discipline.

Plus I don't hate 'all' youths/young people.

In fact, most that I tend to encounter these days seem to be a lot tamer and less boisterous compared to what ISTR back in the 90s and 2000s.

And probably most likely due to diminished ill-treatment by parents, teachers, etc, and rightly so.

What are you doing to make a positive difference to the world?

Sorry Carnation, will stop de-railing your thread now.

Not a smoker, Carnation, but tobacco shops are one of my top 3 favourite smells in the world
    Me too Blueiris

Lencoboy to my knowledge, you go on about smoking a lot!
    And I don't know what relevance that has on what we were talking about.
    I also started this new thread for more positive stuff as my old thread went off its original path.
    Although I've kept that one for various reasons. But I would like to keep this one for what it was attended.
    I think you need to read what BlueIris has said in her last post about positivity.

And no, you are not de-railing the thread BlueIris, you are just responding to Lencoboy who seems to want to debate an issue irrelevant to
    what we were discussing.

Apparently it relates to me starting to feel afraid to leave the house.

Really appreciate the encouragement, Carnation. I'm making it into work, at least, and I'm planning on going out somewhere at the weekend. I wish it was drier because I'm longing to walk the canal towpaths again.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread Information