Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I just need to vent/whine/panic

Re: I just need to vent/whine/panic

Hi Poppy, good luck this week on getting an interview, I’m sure you will ace it, best girl for the job..

I think sometimes we do get to a stage like that and we think Oh to hell with it, what will be, will be, it is a coping mechanism but not necessarily a bad one, when we think that it relieves some of the tension.

Glad you managed to get outside yesterday, fresh air really does help xxxx

Pity interview? That's not the poppy I know. If you want the position then show them you want it.

It would never be a pity interview! It will always be an interview because you would be great for the job!
    Ugh interviews are so stressful. I know it! But I always try to look at it, as if I don't get this job at least I'll have had the experience of going through the interview and those are extra skills under my belt for next time. That takes the pressure off a little bit.
    You'll do great Poppy! Your boss would never recommend you if he didn't think you'd be great at it

Thanks, all. I do think I’m qualified to at least deserve and interview, and I know it takes time to set stuff like that up (especially as I know some members of the committee have been traveling). My anxiety brain can just perfectly picture my boss telling me they aren’t going to interview me after all, so I have to tune that guy out.

The dragging out of the whole thing is the worst, really. It feels like when your boss pops in and says “can we have a chat at the end of the day?” Except for it’s totally open ended and therefore gives me ample time to work myself up. I guess this is a prime time to put all of my coping strategies to use.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Well, after much waiting, I have an interview next week.

I have no idea how many candidates they are interviewing. I have no idea what will happen after that. My mind honestly goes into a flurry of panic, and I have to force it to stop it and just take one thing at a time.

Poppy, you have nothing to lose. Just be yourself.
    I know the buildup is the worst but on the day just take it in your stride and what will be, will be.
    There's no need to put pressure on yourself, remember you were asked to put yourself forward for this. You've got this.

Hi Poppy,
    Good luck next week but honestly you won’t need it, like Carnation said just be yourself, if you do that you’ll beat the pants off everyone else cause your such a lovely person and very talented. Go for it with the belief the job is yours and a positive attitude, your boss believes in you and thinks your talented enough, now it’s up to you....xxxx

Thank you, Carnation and YNWA. You’re both too kind.

On the one hand, since it is in my own office, I’m afraid about it being awkward or disappointing if I don’t get it for a lot of reasons - for past positions we’ve had candidates come in and meet our office mates so I wonder if that will be weird?

On the positive side, being that all of the hiring committee knows me, they know I’m a hard worker, fast learner, and that I would fit in well. Ultimately I think it will come down to whether or not there is a candidate with more experience that would also be a good fit socially, and if my current boss and the chair are willing to help train me (I think they are, though).

But what happens, happens. I’ve got other things I’m looking forward to in the coming weeks (haircut, family visiting, visiting a friend for a long weekend) so I’m trying to focus on those as best I can. And taking things one day at a time and making things as easy as possible on myself - I have a bunch of easy meals to cook, comfort shows at the ready, etc. So we shall see.

good luck Poppy

Yes good luck Poppy!! And I have to say how much I admire you. You're a gutsy young lady with a never-say-die attitude.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information