Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Psychiatrist rejected me

Psychiatrist rejected me

After seven long years I finally took the courage to go see a psychiatrist. He has a private practice and has good reviews.
    After he heard that I still had panic attacks and anxiety on 150 mg of Zoloft and that Paxil also didn't help me much he said that he can't help me and even if it was some medicine that he doesn't know about it.

I am shocked. My previous psychiatrist said something similar.
    So if Zoloft and Paxil don't work for me, I am doomed?

I begged him to help me and he coldly rejected me.

I also take Sulpiride but it stopped working.

I really don't know what to do anymore. Am I really such a bad case that can't be helped?

Re: Psychiatrist rejected me

Sounds like a typical lazy, can't-be-bothered, jobsworth type.

Probably. I chose him because of good reviews and now I am scared again, I don't trust anyone at this point.
    I don't know what to do.
    He confirmed my worst fears.

That doesn't sound like a reputable psychiatrist to me.
    As you were already on meds, maybe he was only interested in the fee gain from medication.
    I'd look for an alternative.

He helped my friend with one antidepressant but obviously when it comes to a little more complicated case he doesn't have the knowledge.
    I will try to find someone else. I hope it won't be traumatic like this, I was in complete shock, never heard that a psychiatrist can reject you like that...

I am appalled reading this! I agree with others that it sounds like he just wanted money to prescribe you medication, but not treat you.
    Would you be better off going to a psychologist, since you're already on medication? They definitely focus more on the mental part of it

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkling_Fairy View Post
    I am appalled reading this! I agree with others that it sounds like he just wanted money to prescribe you medication, but not treat you.
    Would you be better off going to a psychologist, since you're already on medication? They definitely focus more on the mental part of it
    Yeah, swinging the lead. Beyond reprehensible!

Trouble is, hardly anyone seems to have the guts to challenge a lot of these lousy quacks.

Strangely, I don't feel as anxious and panicky as I were before going to that doctor but it was a huge emotional shock for me and I can't really eat since then, I have to force myself to eat something even though I don't feel so bad like before. It's not my first traumatic experience with psychiatrists but I think it's the biggest surprise for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by darlene85 View Post
    After he heard that I still had panic attacks and anxiety on 150 mg of Zoloft and that Paxil also didn't help me much he said that he can't help me and even if it was some medicine that he doesn't know about it.

I am shocked. My previous psychiatrist said something similar.
    <many expletives deleted> The ignorance of psychiatrists these days is unbelievable.

So if Zoloft and Paxil don't work for me, I am doomed?

...Am I really such a bad case that can't be helped?
    No, you're not doomed. For several decades until the arrival of SSRIs/SNRIs the 'gold standard' panic disorder antidepressant was the TCA imipramine (Tofranil). Psychiatrists didn't switch to SSRIs because they are more effective meds, they arguably aren't, but because they were perceived to be safer in overdose which turns out not to be true for all of them.

I've had PD for 37 years and imipramine was my first AD. Worked like a charm. I later tried SSRIs, all of which made me manic, SNRIs which didn't work, or in the case of venlafaxine also induced mania, and the even older MAOI class ADs. The MAOIs were even more effective than imipramine, but dietary restrictions caused problems for me at the time. Modern food processing has pretty much solved that issue, but not many people are still taking MAOIs so continuity of supply could become a problem in the future.

Therefore, imo, imipramine is likely to be your best bet. Also, is therapy an option?

I also take Sulpiride but it stopped working.
    Antipsychotics are not good meds for PD.

I will suggest that to a doctor. I haven't made an appointment yet, I was processing this rejection. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information