Thread: Jobs within NHS

Jobs within NHS

Hiya

I'm doing a BTEC National Diploma in Health Studies and I plan on working within the NHS or as a teacher (especially a Special Educational Needs Teacher).

Because of having panic attacks and depression myself I want to be a nurse working with those with emotional illnesses. I don't quite know what the job title is called or whether it actually exists.

Could anybody give me some advice on this please

PS I'm not keen on being a counsellor, more of a nurse.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Re: Jobs within NHS

Hi Jadey...would mental health nursing appeal to you...or maybe learning disabilities nursing? in Scotland the NHS websites give some careers information so you coud try looking on your local NHS Trust website for any info or links which may help you.

hope this helps

luv Coni XX

I saw the mental health nursing and it seems as close as I can get. As long as I get experience with working with these people there should be no reason why I cannot be accepted.

Thanks Coni! xxx

Hiya

You should be able to get a job as a Health Care Assistant (usually hospital based) or a Support,Time and Recovery worker (STR) (community based) within ur local mental health trust.

A lot of NHS Trusts offer secondments to Nurse Training for their staff as well so once u get a feel for the work, you might want to ask to be considered for that. Basically it means they will continue to pay you a salary whilst you train and they will also be your host hospital for your placements.

Most trusts are advertising their jobs on the national website now: www.jobs.nhs.uk

Good luck!
    G

Agreed with Gabby, you should have no trouble getting a job as a healthcare assistant ot STR worker. There are also graduate primary care mental health workers based in GP surgeries. The advantage of working in the nhs is that you would have access to further training and secondment so you could train as a psychiatric nurse or mental health social worker.

The mental health field is very wide for nhs nurses so there would be opportunities to work as a CPN (Community Psychiatric Nurse), in a residential unit or on an acute hospital ward. Some psychiatric nurses also deliver therapy such as CBT.

You could also consider looking outside the nhs, at voluntary sector organisations or charitys who support people with mental health issues (e.g. Mind, Rethink or local services such as housing associations) to get some experience under your belt.

I hope this helps, I work in mental health myself and I really enjoy the work and find it very fulfilling.

Thank you everybody for your advice!

I'm going to stay away from Health Assistant because my Mum explained to me that their pay is poor, at a band 2. I know it's rewarding work but working as a trained nurse would be more rewarding (psychiatric/mental health nurse to be more precise).

I will research CPN's and STR workers more and see which is more appealing for me.

Thanks again guys, you rock!

Thread Information