Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 weeks off Duloxetine - now the tears are hitting hard

2 weeks off Duloxetine - now the tears are hitting hard

Two weeks off the Duloxetine now. It has been hard I won't deny that. The head shocks which were like electric tremors in the head were awful, they were very bad for about a week - still getting them but nowhere near as much and nowhere near as powerful. The body jolts (not trembling) - like a jolt in the body with every step I took - they were nasty but eased up completely now. The constant headache on top of the head was bad - thank god for Paracetemol. That has lifted now. The nausea; that's gone. The scary nightmares that had me waking my husband with fear during the night - they have gone.

... But now, having had two really good days (Sunday and Monday) - the low mood is kicking in badly.

I knew it was coming on yesterday just kept getting these feelings like I could break down and cry. I am no stranger to crying as anyone will know who reads my posts. Yesterday I held it in and told myself to be brave - got through and just kept feeding myself positive self talk and trying to use cbt by turning the thoughts around.

Nope, the feeling isn't going to be cast away with any of the above techniques, it wants to come out (more like fighting to get out!) and so I have had to give in to it.

I have cried today and for no reason at all. That's when it's worrying - crying for no reason - just that horrid feeling of needing to cry and nothing you think or distract yourself with seems to help.

It is withdrawal I know it. Know so much about damned withdrawal --- but it does scare me.

I have been on this rotten meds merry-go-round for nearly three years now and I MUST get off it!!!!

Seroxat withdrawal, was horrendous in comparison to this of course - I have to admit it is nowhere near as dire as that was. However, that was the catalyst for the last few years suffering.

Coming off Seroxat, trying Citalapram, raising it to its max - no therapeutic effects. Mixing the Citalaprram with Nortriptylene then getting wonky heart rythms and having to come off that. Going back on Citalapram, coming off, trying Sertraline, (bad side effects for me) --- all this time still having bad panics and low level depression. A whole year on Duloxetine with no real positive effects from it. Oh, I so can't take any more.

I have to get through this and if I cry every day for a month but come out ok at the other end then fine - it would have been worth it. The prospect of not coming out fine at the other end is too scary to consider!

I really don't want to go on another medication, I have promised myself (and my family) that I will get off this meds merry-go-round and I really have to do it. What on earth is the point of taking a medication and suffering awful side effects without any benefit being gained?

I have been in this trap for a long time now. I think for the last few years I have been nursing discontinuation syndrome. First the awful withdrawal from Seroxat, then the side effects of new med, then withdrawal from that and so on. No I can't do it any more.

I'm taking my Omega 3 (by the cupfull!!) - I'm taking my magnesium, taking my Vitamin B - now trying the 5htp Tryptophan - what else can I do.

Getting a bit desperate today as you can hear - I just hope tomorrow is a better one.

Re: 2 weeks off Duloxetine - now the tears are hitting hard

Yvonne you are so brave! I really feel for you, having been doing the meds merry-go-round since May. Am 2 weeks into Sertraline and coming off Duloxetine at the same time and some days I just want to die! I know what you mean about crying 'about nothing', but actually I find if I have the opportunity to cry, ie the necessary shoulder, I feel better afterwards, even if I don't know what was wrong. So you go ahead and cry when you feel like it, and stick at your determination to come off meds. That's laudable. I stick post-it notes round my bedroom, so the first thing I see when I wake up is 'Determination', and then 'Come out fighting' on the mirror..! I found Duloxetine a horrible drug, dreadful side-effects for the few weeks I was on it, and am hoping Sertraline will help a bit, but if not, then i think I'll be joining you in the 'no-meds' corner. All strength to you, be proud of yourself!

Thanks so much Janey.

"Determination" is the key word here and I will have to put up a huge poster with that word on.

I didn't like Duloxetine - made me feel lethargic and spaced out all the time - plus had no effect whatsoever on my panics. Trouble is that the medical profession (psychiatrists, gp's) keep patients on these meds too long even when they are not working that well. My own opinion now (after trying so many meds) is if it doesn't work by 8 weeks then put it down the toilet!

Sertraline seems to work well for people - you should do well on it. I really hope it's the med for you.

Hello Yvonne,
    My hearts goes out to you, I mean that with 100% sincerity.

I am currently in withdrawal from Duloxetine (Cymbalta) as well, it has been about eight weeks since I took my last dose and I tapered down slowly. To be honest the tapering down seems to make no difference to me as I have quit meds cold turkery (I know that is unadvisable but it was years ago and I was much younger) before and this tapered off withdrawal from Duloxetine has just as severe side effects. Without the help of my Pyschotherapist and other alternative beliefs, then I wouldn't have made it this far.

The first four/ five weeks were the hardest, I won't lie to you. My digestive system took the brunt of the physical symptoms and I had everything imaginable - constant nausea, abdominal pains, diarrhroea, bloating and coulldn't keep any food at all down for the first three weeks. Thankfully the digestive probs have eased up now but I still get awful bloating and stick to eating plain food.

Do you get the feeling that your mind was torturing you? That you were being 'attacked' by your own thoughts? That was the worst withdrawal symptom for me, I really though I was losing my mind and would have a complete nervous breakdown.

As for the crying, I welcome those tears so much as I find they release a lot of tension. Having been on anti depressants and tranquillisers constantly all my adult life (since I was 16, I am 37 now), I didn't realise how much the meds suppressed my emotions. I literally had not cried in years and years and years. At first the crying terriefied me as it felt like I was losing control of myself but then I realised I felt better after a bout of crying so now I hope the tears will come. Tears are healing, I definitely believe that and crying is a natural human emotion that I was deprived of for most of my adult life.

Other symptoms are pressure on and around my head; utter exhaustion - I am literally dragging my body around but I was always tired on the meds anyway; lack of concentration; irrational fears; insomnia (which has eased up now); aches and pains all over my body and general mental distress.

The Duloxetine didn't benefit me in any sense so that is why I came off it. I tapered off an anti psychotic called Seroquel (Quetiapine) at around the same time so that probably increased my withdrawal symptoms.

It is good that your family know what you are going through, I always kept things to myself but my therapist encouraged me to tell my sister and mother what I was going through and they were surprisingly understanding and sympathetic. I live alone and the solitude was making me worse so now I sleep at my parents' home or my sister's home if I feel I can't be on my own. I am trying to be kind to myself, I have always been my own worst enemy.

I totally agree with you that it is very disheartening when you get a down day after having a few good days, it is discouraging and most days I don't feel I have the strength to carry on.

However what keeps me going is the knowledge that once the withdrawal symptoms have gone for good, I will experience what it is like to be 'Me' without anti depressants for the first time in my adult life. That excites me and scares me but is something I definitely want to experience. I am dying to know who I really am without the cloud of anti depressants masking my true self.

You are being really strong and positive and your determination to be med free is great. I am not 'against' all meds, just against taking meds that don't benefit us in any way. Why pickle our bodies with chemicals from meds that don't help us in any way? From a practical point of view, there are very few anti depressants left for me to try. I would estimate that I have been on 15 different anti depressants over the last 21 years. The only one that helped me was Prothiaden and I had a good 4/5 years on that, but then it stopped working for me (which I belive is a common enough occurence with longterm medication use) and nothing else worked. So I hope with all my heart that Duloxetine is the last one I ever take. Touch wood and fingers crossed.

I really, really wish you well Yvonne and I hope you and I both manage to achieve our goals of being med free.

I am also addicted to benzos so I still have to face withdrawal from them at some stage in my life. I just want to be in control of my own feelings, even the fearful ones. Yes, I may feel bloody awful without time but I have felt bloody awful on them as well. However I am not even thinking about the benzo withdrawal now, that is a long way off in the future when I hope to be strong enough to tackle it.

Best of luck Yvonne and you are in my thoughts. On a completely selfish note, it has reassured me to find someone who is experiencing as bad withdrawal symptoms as me in regards to the Duloxetine. It always helps to know we are not the only one.

Be kind to yourself Yvonne,

Love Ellen

Oh ellen

What an amazing post - now I am crying again. You are a truly lovely person.

Thank you so much for your kind words and your truthfulness about the withdrawal and how it is for you 8 weeks down the line.

I, like you, just want to be me - I know it's going to be hard but I want to know what it feels like to actually be med free.

I am so sorry for what you have been through and I wish you sincerely a complete recovery without the meds.

I haven't been on 15 meds but I have tried 4 since coming off Seroxat and none have hit the spot.

You take care my friend. Thank you for taking the time to write such a long post it is so much appreciated. xxxxx

Good luck to you Yvonne and Ellen, you are both very brave ladies and I admire you both.
    love Mags xxxx

Has anyone done well on duloxetine????? Thats at least six of us that have posted recently

Joy

Yvonne
    I have sent you a pm.

We will hang in there

Love Ellen

Margaret, thank you for your kind words

Joy, I have read a couple of posts on NMP about people who have benefitted from Duloxetine whilst on it but I can't remember who the members were I think the withdrawal from this anti-depressant is really the problem for a lot of people who have taken it, though some have been unwell whilst on it too.

Love Ellen

Hello everyone - I've just found this site and registered. I was searching for information about coming off duloxetine - and I'm so glad to have found you all.

I've tapered my dose over the last month and am now 5 days into no dose - and would echo everything that others have said. It is so reassuring though to know I'm not the only one to feel like this. I'm determined too - I don't think the duloxetine (for me - has worked very well - if at all) and seems to have simply suppressed emotions that seem to be pouring out of me now!

I am glad to be able to have a good cry - but it is difficult when your family (grown up sons and daughter) just want you to be 'normal'.

Has anyone else had difficulty with hot flushes - or feeling hot all the time? I notice that some of you are taking vitamins and minerals - is anyone trying St. John's Wort - and if so, how long did they wait after stopping taking duloxetine?

I'm so pleased to have found you - and thank you for reading> Yvonne, I hope you are feeling better now than in December.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information