Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts

Thats our problem, we convince ourselves that our thoughts are truthful and rational when in fact sometimes i think our poorly minds lie to us a little and try to trick us into continuing the nasty cycle of anxiety. It is not suprising really as our bodies are bound to act strange under stress and strain. After all don't our legs ache and wobble a bit after extreme work so why not our minds and thoughts? The real trick is to notice this happenning and divert that train of thought down another, more positive, line.

Jon

I used to be extremely indecisive but now I am not so sure...

Try viewing our nervous systems as our risk management centre.

As we convince ourselves - through newspapers, TV, our own experiences, watching films etc- that the world is a very scary place, our own risk management system starts to become on edge. Our stress thresholds become heightened and a stime goes by it take smaller and smaller things to happen in order for our nervous system to respond by pumping out the chemicals.

So all that coupled with our very negative, downward spiraling thoughts, with which we're tricking ourselves that these 'things' are real emergencies to us.

We now have our nervous sytem in an exhausted state and then it fires off for very little valid reasons at all.

Our risk management should be used well but not to extremes. There is nothing you can do to alter the results of a medical test.
    Every time it comes into your head change the thought - do not allow yourself to dwell or wallow in it until the day of your appointment. It's very hard but does come with perserverence and determination.

Ask yourself if the thought is rational or not. If you think it is then fine - What can you do about it ? Then do it, resolve it or leave it.

Then ask yourself if - in the great scheme of life whether the thought is realistic worth all the energy you're devoting to it.... Again decide , do what you can and then deliver it from you.

Karen - the thoughts of impending doom are extremely common anxiety thoughts. All of us have them , the deciding factor is how much you allow them to dominate you.

Kate- they eventually go when you stop the thoughts to dominate you. Really they do ..

Hayley- the Linden method is all about total distraction which is great and breathing - also great. If what you're using for distraction doesn't grab you enough it won't work. Give it a really good go. I know it also says you 'shouldn't' do anything else except his programme so participating here is contravening his philosophy.
    However, I would add to the distraction and breathing that you do need to examine your thoughts and change them from negative ones to positive ones. Especially as you're too well and active to be able to be absorbed with one hobby ie. kids might get in the way !!

You mentioned difficulties at home previously. Perhaps you might consider whether being anxious is actually reasonable considering the stresses you might still be under. We can only start to really heal once the main pressures and worries are behind us.

Jon- You're there ! Easier said then done but you're well on the way.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Kate,

I'm afraid i don't know when 'eventually get better' kicks in. All i know is it has to get better and by keeping doing the things you are afraid off and working hard to combat it then it MUST get better! Reading some of the posts here should give you hope people have improved and got better (ie Radar). I think the fact that you are still trying (eg driving) is a very positive step in itself.

Chin up

luv
    Lucky

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information