Thread: Does diazepam have a use-by-date?

Does diazepam have a use-by-date?

Hi all,

At the beginning of 2006 I was prescribed 25 diazepam tablets by my doctor to take away with me travelling in case I needed them on the 11 flights I was taking.

It turned out I didn't need to take any for the flights, but I sometimes suffer from bad insomnia and so in the 2 years I've had them I've probably taken about 10 to help me sleep.

Now I'm worried though that they might be past their use-by-date and taking them could have adverse effects. There aren't any dates on the bottle I was given. Does anyone have any ideas about how long they are good for?

Thanks for your help guys xx

Re: Does diazepam have a use-by-date?

I think it is about 2 years but of course it depends how old they were when you got them in the first place and that you can't tell I guess.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I wouldn't risk taking them if there is no date. Go back to your doctor, with the bottle and say that you've taken them but not regularly and they help you sleep. I'm sure if you show you're able to take them responsible they'll allow you another prescription or maybe reccomend something else for insomnia.

I just checked on mine in the cupboard and there are 10 still in the packet dated 2002!!!

Think I may need to ditch them lol

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I've used them before even though they were a couple of years out of date. They won't harm you, just may not be as effective.

I had this problem recently - I found some out of date Lorazepam and was gutted! I haven't risked it...yet...

I don't think they would hurt you, but as someone else said, they just might not work quite so well. I asked the Pharmacist and he said that as long as they aren't very very old, they should be ok.

I think it is about 2 years from when they were produced, usually. If they are in an undated bottle, I guess it is hard to know how old they are.

Your best bet is probably to see the GP again and discuss it with him. Diazepam isn't a great thing to get into the habit of using regularly, but I know how difficult it is not being able to sleep.

Take care xxx

Hi there,

Because the various drugs are 'earmarked' for the British market doesn't necessarily mean they will enter the area of being prescribed here; so taking that into account you can bet that the use by date on drugs like valium will be at least five years in advance of the disposal date or sometimes - longer.

Mystical

Firstly well done for not needing to take the drugs in the first place. as for taking them to help you sleep i find a relaxing bath , a mug of warm milk and some relaxation tapes do it for me, give it a try.Personally i would ditch the drugs.

From manufacture they have a shelf life of 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    I just checked on mine in the cupboard and there are 10 still in the packet dated 2002!!!

Think I may need to ditch them lol
    all valium proceeds welcome
    mail em to me @
    tranx r us
    essex
    klo nopn

Thread Information