Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: agoraphobic about to go on bus. please help!!!

agoraphobic about to go on bus. please help!!!

ok, so i'm trying to get my life back on track which means i've decided to take a short bus journey tonight but i'm absolutly terrified...

i keep thinking all the ''what if's...'' and cant seem to turn my thoughts around into more positive ones.

i havent been on a bus for about 4 years and i dont really go out in public on my own even though i've just started going to the corner shop.

i'm getting all the usual pins and needles and churning tummy etc

i'm really scared and would appreciate any encouraging thoughts or advice on how to be more positive about it. PLEASE

Re: agoraphobic about to go on bus. please help!!!

Hi Andrea,

Advice i was given a while back was to start with, just do one stop, then build it up till you are more confident. You could get someone who you trust to be waiting at the stop you will be getting of at to meet you.

You really sound like you are ready to give it a go and i recon you'll do just great! go for it gal!!!

Love Lisa
    xxx

hiya.. thanks for your reply. i'm not andrea by the way though, she's a different honeybee... i'm leaving the house in about 3 mins... i'm so so so so so scared.... arggggggg

Hi Honey

Have you got a MP3 player? When i use buses i take my MP3 player with me to listen to, also reading a magazine helps to distract me too.

Im sure you will be fine hun, i used to dread buses but the more i have done it the easier it as become.

Good luck

Andrea
    xxxxx

Ps Lisa, its a different honeybee, we just like to confuse you..lol

You've heard of the "Fight or fight" response? Well there is a third alternative "I just don't care", and that's one of the ways I cured myself from agoraphobia. I used to take the dog for a walk and think to myself "What if I have a panic attack? What can I do being a long way from home?". Then I decided I had to learn to trust people and start to believe that the vast majority of people are caring and compassionate, and would help and not think bad of me if I needed their help. I still think that way now, and the acrophobia is a distant memory.

Just keep telling yourself that every step you are taking out of your comfort zone is a victory!!!!
    I used to sing songs in my head and even would think of math problems while walking!!
    Anything to keep from thinking about the fear !!
    GOOD FOR YOU that you are getting out by the way!!!
    CONGRATS!!
    I know how hard it is !!!
    Keep it up darlin and it'll get easier !!!
    xxx
    Sandy

heya guys... thanks for your replies... i just got back... i only went a few stops away and my fella followed behind the bus and met me at the bus stop. i was so so so scared but when i actually did it i was fine.

i reallly like what you said about just not caring tom. that is definatly one of my big problems - caring what people would think if i were to panic.... i'd like to hear more of your story if you wouldnt mind. is there a thread on here about yourself - obviously you dont have to say anything... but i always love to hear how people have come out of the other side of agoraphobia. do you ever get anxious when you're out?

anyway, thanks for your replies guys. plan on going even further tomorrow night. think its gonna prove to be a bit expensive though.. £1.30 to go 2 stiops down the road... you can tell i havent been on a bus for about 4 years... lol

WELL DONE HONEYBEE!!

ya did great, you keep at it, you are doing the right thing going a little futhur day by day !

Proud of ya hun !

Andrea
    xxxxxx

Well done, im so happy for you.

Love Sandy xxx

yay... i got on the bus again tonight... this time for about 15 mins... once again my fella went ahead of me and met me at the other end... had an enitial wave of panic but i explained it away. then i got the usual ''oh my god, what am i doing? this makes me panic'' thoughts but i also just explained those away. i put everything i learnt at therapy into practise and it was all ok. how cool is that??? still felt a little uncomfortable but i'm so proud.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information