Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This is an open forum - were you aware?

This is an open forum - were you aware?

I just wanted to bring something to everyone's attention following a rather nasty / threatening email I got today from a member who used his real name on here as his login name. He found one of his posts on here when he did a google for his name.

He said that I should have this as a closed forum and not allow the threads to be on Google etc and I am letting people down doing this.

This forum is "open" on the internet in that search engines like Google, Yahoo etc will scan the site and when people search for keywords they may end up finding a thread on this forum. We chose for this to happen so that people can find us and see they are not alone when they google their symptoms etc.

It is made clear when you join that we will protect your email address from spam (unless you write it in a post of course) but we cannot guarantee that your post will not end up in a search engine.

If anyone is concerned about this then please feel free to post here and the admins are happy to change any login names as necessary if you are concerned.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: This is an open forum - were you aware?

Hi Nic,

Personally speaking I've always been aware that forum posts can come up in search engines and I am glad that this is the case because that is how I found this forum and other forums I use. It is also good that its open because anyone can read the forums and many people do that and although they may not join they find it a comfort to read the posts and know they are not alone.

I'm kind of left wondering why someone would use their full real name as a user name if confidentiality is an issue for them? Perhaps this user should change their forum name to something more anonymous?

Cari
    xxx

Aye Cari I agree.

To begin with I wasn't aware it would come up in Search Engines....I never really thought about it. Then one day I googled 'Dying Swan' to see where the phrase came from, and there I was! It didn't bother me in the least!

I can't understand the problem - surely it's better not to use your real name at all if you're concerned about confidentiality?!?

xxx

Cari i'm with you here. I find it odd that someone would use their real name on a web site if thay wanted to remain anonymous . Nic i'm sorry but i don't think your to blame in any way for this, if you put your name to anything on line then it's a sure deal the google monster will find it.

Lisa
    xxx

I understand that it can be scary to realize that your email addy or full name is out there for whomever to see ....
    THAT is exactly the reason that if someone posts their email addy or name I try to tell them it's not a real great idea to put that info out there.
    Guess in this instance I missed it!!!
    SORRY!!!

I do that too eeyorlover people just don't think sometimes I have been guilty of it too but soon learned my lesson (BTW Just googled my name and I am a famous horror actress.....I don't remember doing that lol).

Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you remember

Quote Originally Posted by eeyorelover View Post
    I understand that it can be scary to realize that your email addy or full name is out there for whomever to see ....
    THAT is exactly the reason that if someone posts their email addy or name I try to tell them it's not a real great idea to put that info out there.
    Guess in this instance I missed it!!!
    SORRY!!!
    Sandy

It was a shortened version of his name so I didn't pick it up either but it annoyed him that I let it be seen on the internet.

We can't monitor everyone's login names really can we

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Nic,

You didn't LET this persons name be seen on the internet. You didn't give this person their log in name, that was their own doing.

You are the founder of an Internet site, what information people then choose to enter into the site regarding themselves is down to them.

I think some people should take responsibility for their own action instead of trying to pass the buck!!

Lisa
    xxx
    Last edited by bottleblond; 14-12-07 at 19:44. Reason: spelling mistake

It's the nature of the beast (the internet)... if we can see it, so can Google.
    I practice "safe 'net" !

One practical suggestion : make it clear on the registration page that all forum activity is visible to anyone?

Nic,

I am so glad that this site was so readily available to me when I needed it.

Personal responsibility is a "given" for me on this site.I would expect members to treat the Administrators with the respect they deserve given the efforts they make to keep us on-line.
    Thank you for your work.
    Best wishes,
    Chalky

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information