Thread: HELP - Just dont know what to do re meds

HELP - Just dont know what to do re meds

Five weeks off the Duloxetine and feeling low.

I really don't know what to do now. I feel I have done very well to get this far. Been on meds for quite a few years and I don't think the old brain can cope without the neurotransmitters being messed about with lol!

Seriously the last week has been pretty hard - mood can lift but generally an underlying low feeling and very very emotional.

I am experiencing all the emotions; anger (not me at all), sadness, frustration, despair, anxiety (not badly thank the lord) - but cannot stand this depressed feeling it really is a demon just like it's best friend anxiety.

It's not post Christmas as people may think it is. I was okay Cmas Day but probably because I was kept so busy cooking for the family and self medicating with Port.

Trouble is I really did want to get off meds this time and get a glance of the real "me". However, if this is her - I just can't live with her at all.

My family want me to give this a fair trial (even though they are suffering the delights of my acid tongue lol) - even the cpn is saying that I should try to persevere. The cpn said it will be difficult for me for about four months!!!!!!

I so don't know which way to turn now and I would like to hear from people who have come off the meds successfully and lived to tell the story. It's so so hard it really is.

I know what I'm feeling is the discontinuation effect but getting people to believe that is not easy. I have read loads on the subject and I do know what I am feeling now is no ordinary depression. In fact it's not like depression where you want to hide away and you are not interested in life. I am interested in life and the things I enjoy but I just have this awful emotional feeling.

Been getting some wicked racing heart and hyperventilating whilst lying in bed at night - please believe me it's not thought related. I am a dab hand at challenging my thoughts but this little bugger doesn't want to believe the "positive thoughts".

Anyone got any ideas? Please.

Love to allx

PS I have script for new med in cupboard - Moclobemide (MAOI) - this is meant to be a very good med according to shrink - excellent for social phobia (which he must think I have - strange cos I was really chatty to him lol). Tried Citalapram, Nortriptylene, Sertraline and Duloxedontwork and Seroxat which didn't work second time around.

Re: HELP - Just dont know what to do re meds

Hi Yvonne,

Patience is a great virtue.
    Rome was not built in a day.

You have done incredible well to give up Meds after all those years --

I gave up Meds 18 months ago.I took Seroxat then Effexor for almost nine years.My Doctor reduced my dosage over a 3 month period to get me off them.
    Since then I have lost 3 stone weight.
    My Doctor warned me that I would,in all likelihood,experience some rough patches from time to time and this has proved true.Knowing that I no longer had my Crutch-the Meds- to get me through those periods has taken time to get used to.
    You MUST give yourself time to acclimatise to this new situation-9 weeks as opposed to years of drugs.
    If you find it hard or it is causing you too many problems,please consult your Doctor.
    Do not put unreasonable deadlines for recovery on yourself.
    Best wishes,
    Chalky

Hello Yvonne,
    To add to Chalky's comments which I agree with, it crossed my mind whether you have depression but.....I was okay Cmas Day but probably because I was kept so busy cooking for the family and self medicating with Port. If you had depression, it'd be there all the time. Yes, I know you have this underlying tearful low feeling but I think it's being caused by stress which is also why you're having trouble when you get to bed.

You don't actually have to be thinking anything because when we feel under stress, the mind will trigger the symptoms without thinking actual worrying thoughts.

Also, you say you were okay on Christmas Day Because you were kept busy which would indicate that your mind was being kept focussed away from stressful feelings and so didn't cause anxiety symptoms or your tearful emotions.

You've been taking meds a long time and now you're attempting to cope without. This will naturally cause anyone stress because it's a major step to take. It's like someone taking away a comfort blanket. However, as Chalky says, give yourself time. You're trying to run before you've learnt to walk. Don't expect too much of yourself.

One clue in what you've said - you were okay on Christmas Day...why?...because you kept Busy. Distraction.

When you go to bed make sure you're Really tired and try taking something to make you drowsy. During the day, keep busy but not by doing Too much because too much would add to your stress levels.

The bottom line is I'm Sure you can get there but don't be impatient. I think you need to find alternative methods to keep you mind focussed and relaxed such as a hobby. Don't sit without doing something.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts.

Take care Yvonne.

Thanks so much Bill - all good stuff as usual.

Even the CPN says I'm not suffering with depression - and I guess she should know. It's plain and simple panic disorder she says.

Distraction is the key of course - sometimes it's hard to distract though. I take all you say on board and I thank you once again for taking time to reply to my message.

Thread Information