Thread: Could This Be A Cause Of Anxiety And Depression?

Could This Be A Cause Of Anxiety And Depression?

I was reading a book by Lucinda Bassett called "Life Without Limits" and basically she goes onto explain the following.

There are two types of people, there are people who are happy just to float along in life, They have no real dreams or aspirations, they just take what life throws at them.

Then there is the second type who are dreamers, they want to be successful in life, they have dreams and aspirations, they are creative,talented,intelligent,have a vivid imagination they have the traits that will make them very successful but often they don't have the required skills to use these traits, they then becomes frustrated, depressed and anxious

The second is so true to me, My problems began when I left school and got into a career I hated, I day dream daily about being successful,having a nice house, plenty of money but more importantly a job I love, It may just be a coincidence I know but its odd that my problems started when I left school and got into this career. I look around at the other guys at work and even family members they all fall into the first category.

What do you reckon to this theory? Do you fall into the first or second category?

Re: Could This Be A Cause Of Anxiety And Depression?

I'm pretty much both. Of course we all think about the future, what we want to happen and etc... But constant worring about the future and thinking about it will cloud your mind and make you more anxious about the future even when you don't know it. But if you stop worrying about the future then you will just take what life throws at you. But i still have a habit about the future but im working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by samtheman View Post
    There are two types of people, there are people who are happy just to float along in life, They have no real dreams or aspirations, they just take what life throws at them.
    That would be me, the one who just floats along. I left school with no thought of having a career and just drifted from job to job, got married, had a child, stayed at home etc.

However I've had anxiety and agoraphobia since I was around 15 and I'm now 52 so that theory goes out the window where I am concerned

Quote Originally Posted by Exotical View Post
    I'm pretty much both. Of course we all think about the future, what we want to happen and etc... But constant worring about the future and thinking about it will cloud your mind and make you more anxious about the future even when you don't know it. But if you stop worrying about the future then you will just take what life throws at you. But i still have a habit about the future but im working on it.
    Really? I was always a dreamer, even at school when playing basketball, the other kids enjoyed it but never took it to seriously I wanted to be the best of the best, I wanted to be the next Michael Jordan.

Now I dream constantly but can't achieve anything because of the Generalised anxiety and just sort of float along in a catch 22 situation frustrated anxious and depressed

Hiya Sam

I kinda agree, but I personally think it's to do with thinkers and cruisers.

I am a thinker, and I don't mean in the Greek way , I spend time thinking about the future, money, health, what if? what if not? do they think this? do they think that? what if I do this? or that? I could go on.

Thinking back (that work again, thinking) I wonder if this constant questioning, debating? planning? is the root of my anxiety.

Take my mate Si, a true rough neck, his idea of class is a kebab on a plate with a knife and fork. Now big Si don't worry about much really. He is the sort of guy who knows it's time to pay the phone bill when there is no dial tone.

Does Si have anxiety? well I asked him once. I went on to explain (as he looked confused) what I feel like sometimes and how it can affect me physically.

He looked at me for a min, lit a fag, and said "Mate you worry too much, kick back, relax, I am getting the beers in".

Ahhh to be like Simon, still you can never call him, he is always cut off.

TC

Jaco
    Last edited by Jaco45er; 30-12-07 at 19:17. Reason: Spelling, such the perfectionist I am ;)

Hi Sam,
    The last post by Jaco really summed me up to a T. As a constant thinker/worrier,I find it quite alarming when there's nothing to be worried about.My "comfort zone" is being stressed and I find it hard to handle feeling "normal".But it took me years to get to this state,so a little patience and lots of time may result in much improvement.
    Best wishes,
    Chalky

Thread Information