Thread: New Year, New Me

New Year, New Me

I really doubt this is going to be read, but i'm so determined this year to put my oldself behind me that i think this would be a good starting point.

When i was 13, i had a severe asthma attack which was on and off for a few days..it sometimes stopped me breathing for a couple of seconds. It was a really scary few days, and i was very ill..i didn't sleep in fear of not being able to breathe. After that, if i was ever in a situation, where i felt i couldn't breathe..i would panic. I had my first panic attack the following june, and it was an awful experience. Luckily, i've been able to control them ever since. and its been a while since i've had an attack when i've started shaking. I usually get the onset anxiety, the shallow breathing..feeling hot, restless, heart beating fast, and the pain in the chest.

I know that its only me that has control over my anxiety. And i feel so stupid and worthless that I know i'm being silly when i have 'a turn' lol. Yet i have to take a good 10mins out of my time to calm down.

I've been trying to find a trigger for these attacks, so far i think its when i get a twinge in my chest, or a scarf is a bit too tight. Also, hot rooms, in the back seat of a car and even at the gym..just the idea of getting my heart rate up scares me incase anything happens. Yet logic tells me that my chances are very low to be having a heart attack at the age of 18.

Anyway, by september i want to get over it..i'm hoping to move out and go to university, and i certainly don't want my anxiety to be over my head, and to feel embaressed about them. I'm looking into hypnotherepy at the moment, are there any treatments you can reccomend? and has anyone else had similar experiences??

Re: New Year, New Me

HELLO ANNA AND WELCOME TO THE SITE I WISH YOU WELL........LINDA

Hi Ann a

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Have a good read of the website pages on the left for loads of great advice as well.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Anna, I know that hypnotherapy can be beneficial and I personally have had good experiences in the past. Don't forget that when you get to Uni they will have excellent student support services on offer so don't let your current probs put you off going.

Hello Anna to you!

Well, your post has been read - and will many times over I expect!

You've done well controlling your panic, so try not to worry too much about them returning. What I mean is, because you have already experienced pa's you have a good chance of being able to control them again - and this site will help you do that.

As Nic said, read the information and some of the personal stories too - I'm sure that will be a good start.

And remember, you're not alone here - pleased to meet you!

Hi Anna and

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way. There is nothing silly about anxiety and everybody has it to some degree because it's a natural emotion. The key is learning to control it which you sound like you're doing very well. I'm sure your positive attitude is going to help you enormously and I wish you well with the hypnotherapy.

Take care,

Mike

Welcome, Anna

Kate

Thread Information