Thread: Purpose

Purpose

Hello all,

I've had some very kind messages from some of you recently and I wanted to thank you as I very much appreciate knowing that something I've said has done some good for someone. Thank you.

I must admit I hesitated for a long while before joining this site because I wasn't sure what others would think of me. Negative thought! lol...but I'm glad now that I did.

I'm no professional and have no qualifications on anxiety. All I have are my experiences and I guess I'm lucky to be able to share them in the hope of doing some good. It gives me purpose in life.

My anxiety has been with me for as long as I can remember and it's taken many forms. General, health, panics, OCD, etc. However, it was around 12 years ago that everything became too much and things got really bad when I became so low that I turned to drink, started self harming and taking od's. I just wanted my pain to stop but I had no one to turn to.

After taking one od and the doctor warning me that I nearly went too far, I decided I had to do something to stop the spiral. One day I heard on the News about a person jumping off a bridge because they were suffering too much and had no support. It made me feel Really sad knowing that others were suffering as I was. It made me think that here was me thinking I'm alone and trying to throw my life away when I could be doing something to help others and showing that They weren't alone! It gave me a purpose and incentive to keep going.

Once I changed my philosophy, I started thinking of other things I could change and so bit by bit things started to improve because I was helping myself to cope. The mental health team had ran out of ideas anyway.

If anything had happened to me, I wouldn't have been here to support my mother when we lost my father. When he was ill, I remember him being in hospital for treatment. He was very ill but when he saw a young girl crying because she was in such pain with a similar condition, he felt more concerned about her than his own suffering. That was the man he was and a better man than me.

They say that someone is always worse off and that's supposed to give comfort but it doesn't because I think hearing of others suffering still hurts. None of us can go through life without at some point suffering and whatever the cause is it's still a person in need of help.

In the film Its a Wonderful Life, he is shown what would have happened to all those he'd helped if he'd thrown his life away and he then realises that we are ALL important.

I know some of you are feeling Really ill but when you recover and learn to cope with your anxieties, think of the good you'll be able to do for others who in the future will be suffering as you are now. You may feel unimportant, that you have no purpose but I Know that to someone somewhere you will be Invaluable. We all need people who understand how we're feeling.

I am Glad to know people like you and grateful to Nicola for being around to help people like ourselves. Without her this site wouldn't exist and where would we be without her?

Never give up and Never think you have no purpose in life because things Do get better and we all need each other.

Re: Purpose

Happy New Year Bill
    Your story really touched me and I think you should be so proud of yourself. Good luck in all you do, and I hope you continue to get better everyday

Bill, you may have no 'official' qualifications but I have read all of your posts and you have warmth, wisdom and empathy and that is so valuable especially I think to a site like this.

I find all of your posts very thoughtful and relevant, even though I dont often reply, and this one, like lesleya said really touched me.

I wish you all the best for 2008.

luv Coni XX

Hi Bill and Happy New Year!

I totally agree with Lesleya and Coni...
    I always read your posts and always find them a great help but i dont usually reply(maybe i should in future).

Your story is truly an inspiration and is proof that there is hope for us all.

Thanks for being here and helping us all

Take Care Carmel

Hi Bill

Your posts really help me too. You are such an inspiration to us all.

I am so grateful for all the support that this site and its members give me - especially when I feel like I am at rock bottom.

Thanks

Hi Bill,

Happy New Year to you.

As with others I have found your posts to be informative, sympathetic and helpful.
    Most of all I have found them to be simple- no rocket science involved just a clear and reasoned path to recovery.
    I,for one,have benefitted from your wisdom-without being the intended recipient- and thank you for it.
    Sharing is caring.
    Best wishes,
    Chalky

Dear Bill as i have said before your advice on this site is really invaluable.
    and you have helped and made alot of difference in many peoples lives since you joined No Panic. What you say comes from your heart and you genuinely mean it when you say that you want to offer others support. I know i don't know you of course but would imagine you are a very sensitive , kind and caring individual, and we need alot more like you in the world x
    Love Richie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xx
    Keep up the good work

Hi Bill,

Thanks for joining NMP. You have helped us all see the light on our dark days.
    Yes, we all have a story, and we are here to help each other. At the end of the day thats all that matters, is that we did our best today and maybe just maybe we brought a smile to somebody's face.

Take care, and keep posting.

Bill thank you for you posts there is always something positive to be found in them so please continue posting.

Take care.
    Love
    Carol
    xx

I just wanted to thank everyone for their kind replies.

I know I don't know all the answers and I'm learning all the time but it gives me immense pleasure knowing that something I've said has helped someone who doesn't deserve to suffer in the way they are.

People on here such as yourselves have helped me to feel less alone and so I'm very grateful to you for making me feel so welcome.

I wish I'd known of this site and the people on here when I felt so ill and maybe I would have coped better but then maybe that's why I'm able to empathise. They say everything happens for a reason.

Thread Information