Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Diazepam for panic attacks?

Question about Diazepam for panic attacks?

Hi

I have been suffering from depression and anxiety for about 5 years and agoraphobia with panic disorder for about the last 2 years. 4 or 5 years ago i think i tried just about every anti-d there was but finally found one that worked for me and kept my day-to-day anxieties manageable.

Over the past year my agoraphobia has got much worse as have the panic attacks, i had an awful experience at the start of 2007 where we lost our baby son and as i have not coped with it at all since then the doc says he think i also have PTSD.

When i saw him today he told me to continue with the citalopram that i have been on for the last year but he also gave me a prescription for diazepam saying i have to take it on an as and when needed basis. He gave me a box of 2mg tabs saying i have 2 take 2 at a time when i feel v anxious and just 1 when i just need to manage it better.

Ive never taken diazepam before and these days i am very wary about what meds i take making sure i have stuck to 30mg a day of citalopram and not exceeded it even when i felt i needed too. Could someone, especially someone with agoraphobia and panic attacks who has taken diazepam before please tell me what i can expect - how long does it take to work? do i take it as a prevention for a situation i know i will find very stressful or as a cure if a panic attack begins? how did it make u feel that first time?

thanks for all help in advance
    emma xx

Re: Question about Diazepam for panic attacks?

Hi Emma
    Im sorry to read that you lost your baby son it must have been devestating for you.
    But i just wanted to tell you of my experience with valium. Valium/Diazepam is a very good help as a short term solution and will help you feel very very calm and relaxed. They're quite quick acting too.
    Im 50 now and I used valium 2mg, 5mg and 10mg (diazepam) from 16 years of age to 31.
    I had anxiety/panics from 16, which became worse and spiralled into agoraphobia after a berivement at 21. Then i got post natal-depression after my son was born when i was 24 and i was just hopelessly addicted to valium.
    The only problem with valium is if you get dependant on them theyre not easy to withdraw from, as im sure other people will tell you too. It took me quite some time to do it too.
    I hope this helps you in some small way. You will find lots of really nice people on the forum and in chatroom too who will give support if you need it and cheer you up if you need it too.
    Best of luck. Take care
    Hugs
    Last edited by lesleya; 03-01-08 at 21:20.

Ive been taking valium/diazepam for just over 2 years as well as anti ds.
    I take 5mg as and when needed but not too much as it is addictive.I must say it helps so much it calms you down makes you feel relaxed and you can just do what you have to do without worrying.I take one if i know im going to go into a situation that is gonna stress me too much or sometimes after ive got in a state.They really do help its just a shame they are addictive but if you just take them now and then thats ok,just not everyday.
    Hope thats helped a bit.

xxxxx

I've been on diazepam for a couple of weeks and at first it worked very well. Then it completely stopped working for me (I was only on 2mg) and I had a bad attack - bad enough for me to go to A&E.
    I'm aware it's a medication for short term relief as it is highly addictive which your doctor must have told you. I'm on my last tablet now and won't get prescribed any more (understandably) so I'm anxious about that but the best thing to do is seek long term help and follow the advice of your doctor (unless they say something ridiculous like valium is good in the long run - it definitely isn't!)

emma,
    they are or can be an addictive drug,but it will take a few years of regular use to have to up the dose to get the same effect,10mg a few years ago was enough for me as a social anxiety sufferer to get my arse up town and do whatever i had to do with no anxiety....taken as and when required on a panic attack basis i wouldent worry about addictiction.
    your gp has said take 4mg...well you can take 2mg and see if that helps,if it does stick with that dose,dont listen to what your gp says,he isnt inside your head.....if it doesnt help then up it to 4mg ....trust me they are not as addictive as booze or fags so dont be put off by this "addictive" tag..if you took the same dose every morning for years then obviously u would have to up the dose ..same as booze or the likes,yourll be fine and good luck out there
    pedro

Quote Originally Posted by chrissy87 View Post
    I've been on diazepam for a couple of weeks and at first it worked very well. Then it completely stopped working for me (I was only on 2mg) and I had a bad attack - bad enough for me to go to A&E.
    I'm aware it's a medication for short term relief as it is highly addictive which your doctor must have told you. I'm on my last tablet now and won't get prescribed any more (understandably) so I'm anxious about that but the best thing to do is seek long term help and follow the advice of your doctor (unless they say something ridiculous like valium is good in the long run - it definitely isn't!)
    chrissy,
    while i was typing you replied with yours..ok i dont think diazepam is the drug for you,2mg is a nothing dose,its like taking a double vodka,i was on a similar dose years back and my gp was trying to get me off them as they are all so damn scared of being sued hence seroxat now being put on the shelve and prozac bought forward as a choice of cure all...2mg is the absolute min u could try and it wouldnt knock a mouse out ,so i think you just dont agree with them .....as i say my gp said 2mg is doing nothing to cure my anxiety,but i told him i was doubling up and sometimes tribling up so he eventually agreed to carry on my script...are you telling me people who take cipralex feel fine for 6 weeks? they feel absolute hell..and there anxiety is worse,at least the diazepam will give you instant release and hey we are only here once and surely lifes to short for an anti depressant to take 12 weeks to have a slight effect.

p.s///i dont work for ROCHE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pete69 View Post
    chrissy,
    while i was typing you replied with yours..ok i dont think diazepam is the drug for you,2mg is a nothing dose,its like taking a double vodka,i was on a similar dose years back and my gp was trying to get me off them as they are all so damn scared of being sued hence seroxat now being put on the shelve and prozac bought forward as a choice of cure all...2mg is the absolute min u could try and it wouldnt knock a mouse out ,so i think you just dont agree with them .....as i say my gp said 2mg is doing nothing to cure my anxiety,but i told him i was doubling up and sometimes tribling up so he eventually agreed to carry on my script...are you telling me people who take cipralex feel fine for 6 weeks? they feel absolute hell..and there anxiety is worse,at least the diazepam will give you instant release and hey we are only here once and surely lifes to short for an anti depressant to take 12 weeks to have a slight effect.

p.s///i dont work for ROCHE!!!
    I know it's a tiny dose and I do double up, I have done most of the time which is why the prescription hasn't lasted me very long. But it doesn't mean I'm not worried about taking it because of what I've read/heard/been told countless times.
    I think I'm going to start a new thread...maybe someone can give me a hand with what to speak to my doctor about.

if you want my help i will offer it,have taken diazepam for plenty of years so if its what you want or dont want then u know inside,also have been on seroxat 3.5 years and prozac 12 weeks,..i am a sufferer of social anxiety so it may not be your troubles bit chrissy i have been there n got the many t-shirts on anxiety so please feel free to pm me if you want some advice re:gp

take care
    pete

Smile Re: Question about Diazepam for panic attacks?

Hi Chrissy,
    I am so sorry to hear of your loss, and can understand your need to use something to help keep you calm.
    I wanted to offer some advice to you.
    Firstly, the drugs are very good and will make you feel a lot better. However, there is a real problem of addiction and i think that even after a couple of weeks on them you will find it hard to give up. I had them when i was about 16 and the withdrawl was horrific. I am scared to toch them now because i know how good i will feel on them.....but you do need more eventually and with that comes the knocked out feeling, the woosie, not quite on this planet thing.
    My advice would be to ask your doctor for some cbt counselling. It is fantastic and well worth the wait. Your problems with anxiety will not be solved by a tablet to bliss you out....but talking therapy will help you permanantly, and you are strong enough to do it. Believe in your self.
    Good luck and lots of love. xx

loo,
    i agree that a tablet is not the answer,but you have to agree cbt takes many many hours of exposure and motivativation is a big thing with anxiety.
    yes the valium will help instantly so in the shrinks eyes you have 3 options....ssris....cbt....tranx......anxiety is fed by avoidance so doing something everyday is always going to be a help for emma,i will count myself out of this thread as tranx r what have helped me and if you look on the medication thread /poll u will see that its pretty high up there with anti/d as the best med...good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information