Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Norovirus

Re: Norovirus

Hi Guys

I am new to this site and boy am I glad, I have read the above. I have such a fear of being sick and getting this bug!

Anyone that has had it how bad was it when you had this bug and was you actually sick, and, is it as bad as the media are making it out to be?

Thanks

Hi...
    I had it twice last year within 3 months of each other. I was not sick, however i had really bad stomach ache, i gagged constantly, every 20 minutes for about 9 hours and i had the work dose of the runs i've ever known! Despite that, for me the worst bit was the day after and i had the "flu like" symptoms. Fever, aches, pains, headache...that was poop.

I am really anxious about getting this virus. My son goes back to school tomorrow and i am dreading it.

x

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

ok...
    i dont usually reply to posts like this in case i say the wrong thing...
    but in sept 2006 i went away with students from work for a holiday on the last day one of them caught this same virus... when we got back to the place i work we were put in isolation, the staff were allowed home obviously but we could only work in one building and with the students that had been away with us,
    the point of this is i sat in a mini bus with the ill student looked after the others day in day out for a few days(only 3 actually caught it) and i never had it or the other two staff... so please please try not to worry i do know that is easy for me to say but the media does hype things up.
    rach

Unfortunately, my partner has it. I'm steering clear of him as much as possible. Plenty of disinfectant being used. I've banned him from leaving the house and told him he needs to stay home from work as advised. I could do without getting it myself.

I'm reading the rational thoughts of Nervy of catford and trying to stay calm.
    I have not been nr anyone who has this, infact i don't want to be nr anyone at all.
    One posative thing i did read today was that the East mids has managed to avoid having to close hospitals so it might have missed us out (prays).
    I do work though and this is where i fear i will lose the plot tomorrow, i am dreading it, all the people i work with have kids, mine is 22 now (years old that is not 22 kids perish the thought lol) the kids go back to school tomorrow they pass things on people come to work for fear of being sacked, oh dear god i'm in a state :(
    Thank you all, you really are keeping me sane right now
    Sharon xxx

I'm in the East Midlands area too, Sharon, and I haven't heard of any cases of it around here. And believe me I've been keeping my ears open! Even the stupid text-in on the radio yesterday didn't produce any Norovirus sufferers when the DJ asked for them!

When I caught it two years ago there were two other people in the house who managed to avoid catching it off me - I basically confined myself to my bedroom (and bathroom lol) and told them not to come near me and that did the trick.

I was talking to a nurse yesterday about the virus and she said as long as everyone washes their hands then that's the way to beat it.

On the subject of not eating, I know that this can be a way of getting round emetophobia - I've wallowed in the reprieve of an empty stomach lots of times! But yeah it's kinda not good for the health. Like the person up there said, you need vitamins and minerals from food to help your immune system. A doctor recommended to me that I eat lots of small meals. Doing that I don't have the anxiety of my stomach feeling full at any one time and I know that with less food there it will go through my stomach quicker... should the situation start to look dire (as it did two years ago with me).

Louisemanchester... when I started to come down with the virus I had an empty stomach as I had eaten very little that day (like I said, it was a 'worst case scenario' for me so I took 'pre-emptive' measures so to speak). I figured with nothing in my stomach then I wouldn't vomit... but I was wrong. I then had the dry heaves. Which, in all honesty, I would take any day over full blown vomitting... they were short, hardly anything came up, and there wasn't as much taste to them. Plus I felt better afterwards. So after that initial crap-hitting-fan/welcome to your worst nightmare sonny jim, I'd say that after between 12 and 24 hours my body was settled enough for it to no longer be nightmare inducing. I felt generally crappy for a good couple of days but as long as I'm not throwing up, I really don't care what my body is doing.

Unhappy Re: Norovirus

im really really worried about all this norovirus thing too...i cant sleep because i worry i will wake up early hours and be ill,i cant eat big meals because i dnt want to throw it all back up again,iv been washing my hands at every oppurtunity.
    the other day i wouldnt even go into my friends house because her husband and daughter had it,i actually stood outside the front door and talked to her...its making me so paranoid i hate feeling like this!!!
    my boyfriend thinks im silly but tonight he has gone to the hospital to pick up his anhaler and im scared he will bring it home with him and give it to me...iv even been making him wash his hands every 10 minutes!!!looks like i`ll be spending the next god knows how long avoiding kissing him :-S x

I had the same fear this time last year but I was pregnant at the time as well! Everyone in my family got it and I was terrifed I was going to get it so I thought that if I didnt eat then I wouldnt throw up. BIG MISTAKE!!
    I ended up not getting the virus but sick because I hadnt ate.
    Like others said, its a virus and will likely pass quickly if you do get it.
    I truly hope you dont though! Here is to a healthy winter for all of us!

Oh for goodness sake. The SECOND i turned on GMTV this morning they were talking about children going back to school and the virus speading. I have told my son not to put things in his mouth that don't belong to him AND to wash his hands as much as he can.
    I am pooping myself now.

x

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

Me and my wife got it before Christmas. Though she had full Gastroenteritis, I only had enteritis, so you don't always vomit with it.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information