Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Norovirus

Re: Norovirus

Oh that's great, i am actualy gonna go mad with this.
    I thought today that maybe it had peaked and things would die down but now i'm reading 1 in 8 people are getting it, aghhhhhh :(

hi,

i am absolutely terrified about getting this bug, people at my school are quickly dropping off. iv had nightmares about it. i just wish i could hide in a little hole with noone around me until it passes over.

can i reccomednd this hand cleannining foam called somthing like no germs or any other of that type. iv also started taking in my own plastic cutlery so i know that noone else had touched it.

bye

Norovirus epidemic exposed as myth

Nigel Hawkes

Norovirus infections this winter were no higher than in the previous two years, the Health Protection Agency said. The agency’s figures of confirmed cases up to the end of last year show a sharp fall. If there is no second peak, then the duration of the outbreak will have been shorter than in 2002, the worst year recorded. Steve Field, the chairman of the Royal College of General Practitioners, said that the scare over the virus may have helped to reduce its spread by encouraging good hygiene.

This is what I found, that may cheer you all up x

How do you catch this bug?
    Can you catch it if you talking to someone who has got it and they breath in your direction?
    I know hand washing is very important but i am kind of taking this to extremes. IE: Washing hands before starting dinner, washing hands after i get the packet of ham out of the fridge in case it was contaminated, washing hands before i get the bread out of the packet, washing it after i got it out...my hands are red raw, cracked and really sore :(

This is driving me insane.

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

Hiya Bluebell,

You can cannot catch it from someones breath, you ingest the virus by viral particles from feces or vomit entering through your mouth, or nose, or perhaps by touching your eyes. Its good you are taking the necessary precautions of hand washing using cleanser. Maybe you should get some kind of hand moisturiser to put on afterwards to stop them from cracking.

Here is some useful info about the virus if you want to know a little more.

Definitions

Norovirus: The latest term for all ?Norwalk-like viruses?, according to the Center for Disease Control (CDC).

Stomach flu: Norovirus ? actually a misnomer, as these viruses are not influenza or ?flu?.

?Stomach viruses? (?sv?) or ?winter viruses?: Noroviruses

Gastroenteritis: Any illness involving vomiting and diarrhea ? these symptoms may be caused by Norovirus or by a bacteria. Hence, ?viral gastroenteritis? or ?bacterial gastroenteritis?. Bacterial gastroenteritis is not contagious.

Virology

Noroviruses (genus Norovirus, family Caliciviridae) are a group of related, single-stranded RNA, non-enveloped viruses that cause acute gastroenteritis in humans. Norovirus was recently approved as the official genus name for the group of viruses provisionally described as "Norwalk-like viruses" (NLV). Currently, human noroviruses belong to one of three norovirus genogroups (GI, GII, or GIV), each of which is further divided into >25 genetic clusters.[1]

How it works

1) You ingest the virus by viral particles from feces or vomit entering through your mouth, or nose, or perhaps by touching your eyes.

2) In your stomach, it doesn't do anything.

3) In your small intestine, the virus begins to multiply, which may take from 12-28 hours before you show symptoms. The lining of your intestine has appropriate attachments for the virus. It attaches itself and releases its genome (bio genes). Those genes shut down the cell and start taking control in order to make more viruses. So your cells are a factory for the virus replicating.

4) Your cells then "explode" or lyse. Then it keeps going to more cells, etc.

5) While this is happening your immune response recognizes that cells are dying and T-cells allow your body to mount an immune response against it. They go to B-cells and produce antibodies. The antibodies travel to the small intestine and inactivate the virus.

6) The vomiting is a secondary response. It's your body's way, evolutionarily, to respond to an infection. It doesn't actually do anything to help you. (This is probably why, if you can stop the vomit response with anti-emetic drugs or even from anxiety...then it doesn't make the course of the virus any worse. ) There is no need to ?get the virus out of there?, as it?s not in your stomach anyway ? it?s in your intestinal tract. The brain may allow you to "not vomit" if you convince it to. While this is a fine idea when infected with norovirus, it?s not if you?ve ingested a chemical poison.

Incubation Period

24-48 hours after ingestion of the virus. Symptoms have been known to appear as early as 12 hours.

When is it contagious?

Once the virus has been ingested and is incubating, it is possible to shed it through stool, without yet showing symptoms. This is one reason why the virus is so highly contagious ? people don?t know they have it, yet they spread it to others through poor hygiene (not washing their hands after defecating, and touching others or touching surfaces.)

People are also contagious for at least 24 hours after the symptoms disappear. There have been virus particles found in the stool samples of people who have been infected some time after this as well, however it is not known whether enough viral particles are secreted in order to infect someone else. (There are too many variables at this point: strength of the virus, number of particles, strength of others? immune systems)

The person who had the virus becomes immune to this year?s particular strain and secretes antibodies with the virus so it isn't contageous anymore to him, even though it is highly contagious to others.

Transmission

The only way to catch one of these viruses is through the fecal-oral route. This means you have to "swallow" the virus particles contained in feces or vomit of someone who has the virus. ?Swallow? means to ingest it into your gastro-intestinal system which can be through your mouth or nose, or potentially (but not likely) by rubbing your eyes. You cannot breathe it in. That is absolutely impossible. It is possible, however, for someone to vomit near or beside you, and the aerosol "spray" droplets come up and touch your eyes, nose or mouth. Then you can get infected.

Myths

It is ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to get infected in any of the following ways:

1. Being ?near? someone who has it, including co-workers or friends

2. Being on a plane with people who have it

3. Breathing the same air as someone who has it

4. Being in the same building as someone who has it

5. Walking past a pool of vomit on the floor, road or sidewalk

6. Through having sexual relations with an infected person

7. Through a cut in your skin

8. Through your rectum or genitalia (as in, on a toilet)

9. Kissing someone who is not yet showing symptoms (note: it may be possible to catch it from someone who has recently vomited by kissing them, as viral particles may be in their mouth from vomitus. But the virus is NOT transmitted through saliva)

10. Number 6, above, applies similarly to sharing cups or utensils with someone as well.

NOTE: I would not recommend that you share drinks or utensils with someone if you know they?re sick. Besides, many other diseases can be transmitted this way ? and some are more serious than norovirus. However if you have done so, then find out later that they have subsequently developed symptoms of a norovirus, there is no need to fear.

Transmission from surfaces

The virus can be active outside a host (person) on surfaces such as counters, toilets, faucets, doorknobs and even clothing. It is unknown exactly how long the virus can live on such surfaces, as this depends on the number of viral particles, temperature, and the nature of the environment. However, you can't catch anything by just touching a doorknob. You would have to put your hand into your mouth or on your nose afterward. Therefore, hand-washing is imperative to prevention of transmission.

NOTE:

The main reason for all the Norovirus outbreaks is poor hygiene, i.e., people defecating and not washing hands afterward, then contaminating surfaces or foods.

Is is ?airborne??

Norovirus is NOT airborne. Some news reports and even family doctors mistakenly report that it is, probably because it?s possible for airborne vomitus droplets to infect others, and thus they get facts somewhat confused. In other words, if you?re standing near someone who vomits, the airborne ?spray? from the vomit splashing will contain millions of viral particles and may infect you. This is not the same thing as a technically ?airborne virus?. You CANNOT catch it from breathing the air of an infected person.

If your doctor or any other source tells you it is airborne in the sense that one can catch it by only breathing air, please ask them exactly what they mean, how they think the virus is transmitted, a technical/scientific source for their claims and the technical virology IN WRITING that is contrary to what the world-renowned Center for Disease Control has discovered. (Then have them post that technical information here, and I will gladly eat my hat and take up another profession.)

Frequency

CDC estimates that 23 million cases of acute gastroenteritis are due to norovirus infection, and it is now thought that at least 50% of all foodborne outbreaks of gastroenteritis (?food poisoning?) can be attributed to noroviruses.

Among the 232 outbreaks of norovirus illness reported to CDC from July 1997 to June 2000, 57% were foodborne, 16% were due to person-to-person spread, and 3% were waterborne; in 23% of outbreaks, the cause of transmission was not determined. In this study, common settings for outbreaks include restaurants and catered meals (36%), nursing homes (23%), schools (13%), and vacation settings or cruise ships (10%).

Most foodborne outbreaks of norovirus illness are likely to arise though direct contamination of food by a food handler immediately before its consumption. Outbreaks have frequently been associated with consumption of cold foods, including various salads, sandwiches, and bakery products. Liquid items (e.g., salad dressing or cake icing) that allow virus to mix evenly are often implicated as a cause of outbreaks. Food can also be contaminated at its source, and oysters from contaminated waters have been associated with widespread outbreaks of gastroenteritis. Other foods, including raspberries and salads, have been contaminated before widespread distribution and subsequently caused extensive outbreaks.[2]

Waterborne outbreaks of norovirus disease in community settings have often been caused by sewage contamination of wells and recreational water.

Note that upon careful examination of stats from the CDC, there is no significant rise in outbreaks of Norovirus over the years. When it?s a slow news week, the press loves to get a hold of this and fear-monger. The number of people infected in any given area poses no higher risk to any one individual than if only one person is infected. Proper hygiene (handwashing and not touching mouth or nose) will prevent infection regardless of how many others in your geographic area are sick.

Immunity

Once you?ve had this year?s strain of the virus, no matter how mild your symptoms, you will be immune. You are susceptible to next year?s strain, however. Research is currently being done which implicates that those with blood types other than O are more immune to noroviruses than those with O-type.

Food Poisoning

Over half of all "food poisoning" in restaurants is actually noroviruses transmitted through unhygenic cooks or food handlers. You can therefore catch a norovirus from someone who claims they ?only have food poisoning?.

Cleanup

The simplest, easiest and best way to kill norovirus on surfaces is with a chlorine bleach solution of 1 tablespoon of bleach to 1 litre or quart of water. There are other chemicals that kill norovirus as well, but most are ridiculously expensive and not necessary. Bleach is not a cheap compromise ? it?s the best thing out there.

Temperature

Noroviruses die at 65 degrees Celsius or 150 degrees Fahrenheit. The virus may survive freezing.

Rotavirus

Rotavirus is different than Norovirus. To make a lot of technical facts quite simple, basically, you don't need to worry about rotaviruses. Why?

1) Adults will rarely if ever vomit from rotavirus infections. This is because all people have had rotavirus by the time they were 5 years old (even mildly, or when you were very young.) There is some form of immunity for adults and they will not be severely affected by these viruses, and

2) You can't prevent the spread of them anyway. No need to spray Lysol or wash your entire child's wardrobe or whatever because soap and antibacterial stuff like Lysol or Purell have no effect on the virus. It is spread the same way as noroviruses - (oral-fecal route), and may be present in some respiratory secretions (coughing on someone)?.so there is NO WAY you can keep children from getting it ? it?s just too contagious. Even if children wash their hands frequently, they commonly put their hands in their mouth, nose and eyes.

So if you hear about a rotovirus outbreak or your kid gets it, you can remain completely calm (well, about yourself. Your child can dehydrate quickly, so you may have to seek medical attention for him because he can die from dehydration.) But you won't vomit if you catch it, and there's nothing you can do to prevent it.

Vaccine

The virus's genetic profile changes often, meaning the proteins on its outside shell change constantly. Currently there are no vaccines for norovirus, although scientists are working on it. I believe a vaccine has recently been developed (February, 2006) for Rotavirus.

Proper Handwashing Technique

Handwashing is the best way to prevent spreading and catching a norovirus. Hands should be washed in the following way:

1) Use warm water (or even cold ? but not hot as you would have to have it so hot it would burn you to kill the virus)

2) Use MILD soap. Antibacterial soap has no effect, as norovirus is not a bacteria.

3) Wash hands for at least 20 seconds (you can sing the ABC song all the way through)

4) Rub palms, backs of hands, knuckles to palms, webbing of fingers, thumbs, wrists

5) Rinse well. You are washing the virus down the sink ? you are not ?killing? it.

6) Turn off taps with paper towel, and use paper towel to open doors, then throw out the paper towel.

7) Wash hands after using the rest room, and before eating ? about 5 to 10 times a day.

8) Do not rub too hard, use water too hot, harsh soaps or wash hands excessively ? this will make your hands raw, and make it harder to wash viral particles away anyway.

9) Alcohol-based gels, wipes or sprays do not kill norovirus (such as ?Purell?) Certain hand cleaners have recently been developed which do ? check their websites or email them to ask. However nothing is more effective than proper handwashing.

Treatment

Noroviruses are normally quite unpleasant, but not dangerous to otherwise healthy adults. Children are at some risk for dehydration. Consult your doctor for treatment if you are concerned. (Do not attempt to diagnose and/or treat any illness with information from the internet.)

Summary

If you never put your hands in your mouth, nose or eyes, you cannot contract a norovirus. Ensuring that your hands are properly washed before eating, or before putting them in your mouth, ensures that you will not catch it as well. There is no need to fear if you hear that someone at work, or a friend you?ve visited has come down with the virus. You can?t catch it by simply being near someone who has it.

No matter how much of an ?outbreak? of the virus is in your geographic area, you are at no greater risk of catching it than if only one person has it. Good hygiene will ensure you are safe.

Sorry its such a long post but maybe this information can help people not to panic too much and take the necessary precautions.

John

Thanks for that

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    Thanks for that
    Your more than welcome and if you have any other questions please dont hesitate to ask

Hi Johnny
    Thank you so much for that, maybe you just saved me from starvation.
    I am not sure how i have coped these past few weeks it has been the most difficult time for me (and others on her i'm sure).
    I have tried hard to stay calm but to no avail i have washed my hands so much they bled, i am concerned that i have put hand to mouth and not realised so i am constantly checking 12 hourly how i feel (of course i feel sick) so reading your post has helped me lots i am truely grateful for that.
    I was hoping the whole thing would be gone now but a lady at work came in today and said she has had it, thats thrown me back a month and started me off again, she was in the lift next to me so i am convinced that i have it now,
    but after reaing your post i do feel i over react and hope i can start to think more logicly.
    I know i wont settle for a few days because she was close to me in the lift and then once she got out i lent on the wall of the lift she had, so now i'm scared that the virus got on my clothes from leaning on the wall of the lift then i touched my back etc etc on and on.
    I'm going to keep reading your post till i know it word for word and use it when i'm feeling bed.
    Once again thank you for taking the time to post it.
    Sharon

thats great news thank you so much, although i HAD SOME KIND OF BUG YESTERDAY HAD THE RUNS BAD BUT NO SICKNESS , COULD THIS BE THE BUG?

Hi Sharon, im just really glad it could be of some help to you. I know it only natural to worry about these things and especially when you was in the lift but please remember that you have to ingest the virus through mouth, nose or eyes so if you keep cleansing your hands and avoid touching your face with your hands you will be safe. Easier said than done I know but doing this will not only lessen your chances but also help you relax a little which is very important.

It is still going around but not as rife as it was so lets hope it comes to an end soon.

Hi Louise,

With this bug you dont always have sickness but having said that it doesnt mean you have got it of course. The virus usually lasts for 24-48 hours. I hope you feel better soon.

John

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information