Thread: ECT does it work?

ECT does it work?

Dear anyone
    Has anyone on this website ever had ECT ? i know there are many mixed feelings about it because it's such an old fashioned treatment and sounds pretty awful, My cpn said they would only use it as a last resort but he said it has a good sucess rate?? but i have heard some horror stories too
    So could anyone here relate any experiences of this as ive got to the end of my tether and may even try privately to acess it
    Love Richie xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Re: ECT does it work?

I assume you are asking if it works for depression? That's what it's primarily used for.

I have not had of it, but my Dad had it when I was a kid. It wasn't successful in his case and actually caused him some irreversible side effects. The common side effect people complain of, is irreversible memory loss.

I can only reiterate what your CPN said that with the improvements in treatment today, that there are many more options available before it would be used. Medication, Therapy, etc. It is a last resort treatment in an emergency situation.

It is usually used in very severe cases of depression where the patient is hospitalised and totally unable to function.

I know a nurse who works in an acute ward and says that it is surprisingly effective in that situation. So it does work. I think it's a matter of weighing up the potential risks against how ill you are.

I doubt even with a private consultation it would be prescribed to someone who just 'walked in'.

So my advice would be to stay well away and try everything else first.

Sadly there is no 'magic pill' or treatment that solves everything.

Jim

I quite agree with Jim.

I was given ECT once as a last resort because they thought I suffered from depression. I won't go into detail but had I of known what it involved and how I'd feel afterwards, I'd have never agreed to it.

I really don't think it's effective for anxiety. Even for depression, sufferers don't just have it done once but a number of times per course of treatment. Even then depression seems to return and it has to be done again.

My wife had the treatment herself for depression about 20 years ago and whether it's because of the treatment or not I can't be sure but she has a very poor short term memory. When she watches a film, she's forgotten she's seen it the next time it is shown but I honestly don't know if that was down to the treatment.

All I feel sure about is ECT is not effective for anxiety but maybe it can be for severe depression as a last resort.

I totally agree with Jim and would advise anyone to look at other alternatives first. After all, anxiety is created by Fear. How can a treatment such as ECT conquer the things we're afraid of???

Thanks Jimbo and Bill i think you have probably answered my question re: ECT
    and from what ive heard from others too it definately doesn't have the desired effect. I also hadn't realised that you have a course of ECT treatments rather than just one "shock" suppose it was just me looking for a quick magic cure again!!!!!!!!!!
    thanx luv Richie xxx

Thread Information