Thread: Well finally made the appt for colonoscopy!

Well finally made the appt for colonoscopy!

I have been putting this off since end of summer as I dread the preperation and the proceedure. My consultant thinks I have IBS as I have already had sigmoidoscopy, ultrasounds, blood tests and fecal occult stool tests and everything is totally normal but he said only way of being totally sure is to do colonoscopy and then he can diagnose me with IBS.

I was supposed to have the test before xmas but cancelled as couldn't cope with it as well as xmas. After having two more nightime attacks of incredible wind with noisy, moving pressure in my abdomen and finally at 5am had to rush to loo decided that to put my mind at rest I had to have it done.

My consultant said only way to know if you needed the test or not was to have it!!!

I don't even have bad pain just a feeling as if something is running around inside my abdomen with lots of gurgling which is just weird and I get so worked up I then cannot sleep.

If anyone on here has had one of these please any tips or advice.

Re: Well finally made the appt for colonoscopy!

Hi there

Glad you decided to go for it - have a quick search and you will find that other posts that we both posted on before about the procedure. Just put the word colonoscopy in the search box.

Let us know when you go for it etc as I may have to have one as well!

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi,

I still have the same feelings as you even now years later.

I was diagnosed with IBS but just couldn't accept that that was all it was so I had a colonoscopy 18 mths ago. The procedure was nowhere near anything as bad as I thought it would be but I had a mild sedative. All was clear and so were all eight biopsys that they took. Thank goodness. I rarely obsess about my health now but life used to be hell with hypochondria for me. I feel like I lost three years of my life with it. Still if can still be of some help to others then that's great.

You'll be just fine, you'll see.

Julie
    www.tedswhinebar.com

Hi i am new on here so i have only just seen the thread. I had a colonoscopy 3 weeks ago (was no where near as bad as i thought it would be) the dr says all was fine after the procedure but this morning i got a letter asking me to go back for a follow up appoinmnet in august 2010? If the results was al clear why would i need to go back? I tried calling them but could not get through? Any ideas would be really comforting.

If it was urgent they would not give you an appointment that far ahead so probably routine.

Why not ask your doc?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

yes it definately sounds like a routine follow up appointment .You would be back well before then if it was anything else ..Sue

hiya yes i think i will ask dr. Just dont understand why i have to go back and why apt is so far away?

Thread Information