Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: last chance gone

last chance gone

Have been trying to get some form of help through the NHS now for over 3 yrs for my social/agoraphobia and depression but have had no luck until my husband and family who frequently have to come and help me intervened. They strongly requested that something should be done to help me after two suicide attempts.
    Amazingly it got through to the local mental health team and after an assesment with a very nice CPN i got a potential placement at the local hospital as an out/day patient.
    Yesterday i went for the initial assessment there and for a start didn't see the people i was supposed to see, but saw someone who basically told me and i quote "if i was able to wash my face in the morning and don't have flies buzzing around my head, then i wasn't an appropriate candidate"
    i am so low can't tell you how dreadful i feel after this
    Richie

Re: last chance gone

Hi Richie,

Thats just about the most appalling thing i've heard!!
    I would contact your GP immediately to discuss this. I know its hard when your feeling so low, but right now is when you need to fight the hardest. Can your family help you with it?

Good luck and please don't give up
    Red

hi richie i totaly agree with red it is apaling and i certainly go bk to your gp please dont give up tc elaine xxx

"if i was able to wash my face in the morning and don't have flies buzzing around my head, then i wasn't an appropriate candidate"

This is appalling, dont stand for it,

Please bear with me, Ill be back for good soon.

Richie,

This is so disgusting !!! Don't stand for that, NO way. I feel so annoyed for you. The thing is I can quite imagine a Locum Doc Psychiatrist saying this too.

Richie, please complain and ask your partner to support you with this, she can't get away with saying thing's like this to you. They call themselves professionals !! What a joke !

A complaint must be made about this, make SO much fuss about it, she'd wish she'd never have said it. Never let them talk to you like this.

I honestly feel, that the majority of the time doc's, pychiatrists etc feel they can say whatever they want to some patients who they 'Think' will just let them get away with it. Don't let her, this is just not on !

Your last chance hasn't gone Richie, only if you let it. As said kick up a real stink about this, and in future you should be treated how you should as a patient,... seriously and with care.
    Last edited by Oceanblue; 10-01-08 at 02:09.

Hi Richie,

Not sure if you in the UK but if so would get straight onto your local Mental Health Pals and find out where the complaints section of your NHS trust is situated, then get writing; after all, if everryone who gets these whacky comments from professionals whom should know better, then standards are going to drop even further - and they ain't that high now!! Stand for your rights and your ability to make your own health choices - ok!

I was being treated shabbily till I dropped a letter to the Trust Chairman locally; within weeks I was being given the kind of treatment I asked for.

hi there thanks for your comments, i did complain to the person overseeing my care and at the team meeting he intervened on my behalf and i believe they have reluctantly offered me a placement now at the hospital.
    After this though i just can't summon up much enthusiasm to accept,
    Iv'e got lots of points which i need to bring up and talk through that i've written down, before making the decision. If i don't go there though, unfortunately nothing else is available here in west sussex.
    Thanx once again love Richie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Richie
    Im disgusted too at the way you've been treated
    Try this telephone number 0800-032-02-02 and see if they can help you...its the NHS 'Patients Advice and Liason Service' They will give you advice, listen to your concerns, and will help by sorting out your problems on your behalf, especially when you dont know where to turn next. Its a free service and freephone number so you've got nothing to loose. Give them a go please...and I really hope they can help you sort out those imbeciles you saw for your assessment.
    All the best

Unhappy Re: last chance gone

Hi Lesleya and others who commented on this post, I have a local PALS representative who helped very much over a year in getting me this far. She has been very good over the year when i just haven't been able to help myself.
    There has been so much more awful things happen and awful things said within my 3 year long fight for help that it has weakened me considerably.
    My GP who i'd been with for some years and who i'd always treated with courtesy and hardly saw in previous years just ranted and raved at me.
    i ended up in hospital once and the pyschiatrist discharged me in a confused state at 2am, i walked home in pitch black ,he also said as i was leaving make sure that next time you finish yourself off propely.
    At this last assessment the person there actually said "why don't you get out of Worthing for good"
    One day if and when i'm well again i will do something about all the abuse ive been through, but at the moment just getting by day by day is hard enough
    unfortunately.
    Sorry if it sounds like i'm not standing up for myself but it's really difficult.
    At least they are frightened of my husband and mum and dad but if i'm alone
    they take the opportunity
    Love richie xxx

Hi Richie
    Im pleased PALS are helping you theyre usually really good.
    I cant believe how really horrible they way those people have behaved towards you its awful. But at least you have now got a start with the help you need and I wish you luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information