Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Church

Church

Now i only ever go to church on christmas eve with the kids to show them what christmas is all about , but when im there and i might sound strange but i feel safe .

I wondered if any health anxiety sufferers had evr turned to church as a way out ??

I have been thinking wether i would be happier if i went to church every sunday and had someting to believe in.

The biggest thing when you suffer health anxiety is the fear of death, i wonder if you actrually looked at death from a different point of view (I>E GOD) and perhaps got it into your mind that death perhaps isnt so bad would we still feel as anxious,

like i said im not generally religious in anyway but i do think it would be great to positively believe in something that would make you feel safe and well, and perhaps if the worst came to the worst at least you wouldnt be afraid of death ..

What do you guys think

Flinty

Re: Church

Hi Flinty,
    Strange isn't it, i only go at christmas for the kids christingle or weddings deaths etc, but i also feel a sense of safe and calm, can't explain it but i know that having strong beliefs is a comfort to lot's on here. Would love to give it a go regulary but not sure i could face getting up befor 8 every sunday!!! it's the only time i get a lie in and i would feel even more stressed going without. LOL.

Jacq x

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

I could banter on for ages about Christianity and how my faith helps me out (sometimes), if you have any specific questions or anything I might be able to help out with (been a Christian for 20 years now) then please send me a message on the forum and I will answer what I can!

I'm an atheist, but I encourage anyone to take up religion. I do honestly believe that one of the biggest reasons why so many people these days suffer from emotional problems, is because of the decline of religion. Religion offers hope, it answers all the question that are unanswerable, like what is the meaning of life, is there life after death. It's a spiritual crutch i know, but we all need one.

I think my only "problem" with the religion thing is that on the one hand it seems like a good thing for me to look into as it may help me find inner peace and calm, but then I dont want it to be a crutch (which I fear it would be) as I want to be able to feel "ok" and at peace within myself without anything external determining this.

I am interested in reading about mindfulness and the teachings of the Buddha though. I guess you dont have to convert fully to one particular religion, but you can take aspects/teachings of a religion and incorporate them into your life if they benefit you.

Jo xxxxx
    If I could speak words of water,
    You would drown when I said
    "I love you."

Hi Flinty,

What have you got to lose by trying this?
    Getting involved in an organisation which has the principles of care and compassion for others at its core sounds like a great idea.
    Best wishes,
    Chalky

I strongly agree that my faith is what keeps me alive and ready to fight everything each day brings. If you have any questions or worries or anything to do with Christianity or anything else please do contact me

Stacey x

hi, i didnt think i had any faith, i went to a catholic school as a child but then went on to a state senior school and pretty much stopped believing in god around that time - this was deepened when my mum died at age 53 after 2 years sick with cancer. but i have become more and more spiritual in the 15 years since my mum died and i too have thought about going to church again - would prob go church of england though as would have to go through hoops to go catholic! anyway maybe it is just wishful thinking, but maybe its something much deeper , either way who knows and if it isnt hurting anyone then theres no problem. just give it a go and see how you feel. btw i did know a guy who was back and to to church when he was suffering deeply with social phobia but i dont htink he ever found any 'answers'at church, i think you do have to have a belief in yourself and in a higher being to get any benefit i feel. emma

Jo..
    I agree with you. Take elements from whatever religion. I was raised in a C of E home. My mother is very religous. I went to church every Sunday, but also in some respects it was pushed upon me. If i didn't want to go then my mother would say things like "God has looked after you all week and you can't spare 30 minutes" and that'd make me feel guilty and then i'd go.

However, now, being my choice, i did read the bible a lot at one point and i also have many books on the teachings of Buddhism.

A lot of people turn to God/Buddha/Allah (whoever) in times of need. Its no bad thing

x

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

Hello Flinty
    Yep if you have faith and believe in something then i reckon it can really help.
    I don;t have any particular religion but i'm not an atheist at all , am an agnostic i think is what they call it because i want to believe in a ultimate creator of all things.
    I am spiritual and would really like to believe in a better life after this one, always think my relatives and my doggie are all together in a lovely place. When i think about that it helps, and when i go into an old old church i feel calmness and peace descend upon me. so i say a prayer sometimes silently pour everything out. And light a candle for loved ones. At times felt like i've not wanted to leave. But guess it would be a bit cold and draughty through the night not to mention a wee bit spooky lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information