Thread: Support group

Support group

Well tonight was a local Panic and Anxiety support group in my area. I have wanted to go for months and months. Today I was set on going but as it got closer to the time I changed my mind. I have no idea how I am suppose to go into a room full of strangers and try and talk about this. I am terrified of being in a room of strangers to begin with.
    Does anyone attend a group? How did you get the courage to go? Any advice on how I can make it?

Re: Support group

most groups for our issues are very understanding and dont expect you to speak etc on the first night.Just go along without expectations and see how you find it.Is there a group leader you could contact beforehand?

checking it out would be good.

bet

I'd like to find a group like this, I think. It can be alarming the idea of approaching a roomfull of strangers, but at least you know that everyone there is feeling (or felt) just as bad as you!! Could be a good strengthening network I would think.
    If you do decide to brave it, and find out what it's like, Alisonj - let us all know!!

Remind yourself that this room full of strangers are people who are suffering from fears who need fellow sufferers to talk to such as you so you can help them as much as they can help you.

Also ask the co-ordinator if you could go with them so they can reassure you and introduce you. Often groups will do their best to help sufferers attend such as volunteer transport etc.

You'll be amongst friends so there is nothing to fear, even if you didn't feel well because they would all understand and so comfort and reassure you.

Once you've been once, they'll be no stopping you and it'll do you a Huge amount of good to be able to share with others in person because you'll make lots of friends and so not feel so alone with this.

Hi Alison, I am just like you, i start off with all good intentions of going somewhere and stay positive - right up to the last minute then i just can't go through with it. Anxiety is a very lonely condition and i personally find it very hard to talk about my symptoms without feeling anxious, i also worry that if other people discuss their symptoms i will take them on too. Saying that when i did a 6 week course in CBT the most helpfull part for me was spending time with people who i knew would't look at me like i was a nutter if i start to panic (overbreathing, trying to clear my throat, pacing) there is nothing worse when you feel like everyone is watching you and wondering what is going on and they haven't got a clue what to do, it makes you feel 10 x worse. When i first attended we were encouraged to take a partner or someone you felt comfortable with till we had all settled in, and my husband actually sat outside in the car for 3 hours every wednesday night for 6 weeks or i wouldn't have been able to stay. Unfortunately there are no self help groups in my area or i would definately have a go, after the initial fears i am sure you will get a sense of relief that you can just be yourself as most anxious people spend 90% of their day holding in there feelings just to appear "normal". Please try again next week and take someone with you i am sure they would understand. Good luck!

Jacq x

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

Hi Alison - on your first few weeks I doubt if anyone would be expecting you to be talking away about your problems..... just go and sit back and listen to the others. And Jacq's idea of taking someone for support is good (they don't have to go in with you - they can wait outside until you are ready to leave).

Everyone in that room would have worried themselves silly about going to the meeting so they will fully understand xxx

Hi Alison,

I not only go to a support group, but run one here in my town in England!

In my experience, not a lot of people pluck up the courage to come and so you are not alone in feeling as you do. But you certainly have nothing to be scared of! Have you tried phoning the group leader to make you a bit more comfortable?

Often people come to my group and feel it is such a great outlet, as they are with others who understand and are in the same boat.

I hope you can make your local meeting soon!

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/
    http://cornerhousewoking.org.uk/

http://www.pbase.com/clickaway

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Hi Alison,

I attend a Support Group every week. It's been a great help to me to be with other sufferers and honestly no one will expect anything of you until you feel able to.
    I found the encouragement to go from what my Psychiatrist told me and that was that groups like these can often give the sufferer more benefits than any meds.
    Try to remember that everyone has been the stranger to the group at some point and that everyone is suffering the same as you. The first couple of weeks were tough going but it's really helped me just being with others facing the same problems and fears as myself.
    When i first started my group my CPN took me to the meeting place beforehand so that i knew the lay out of the room etc., which really helped. My partner then took me in the car and waited for me and now i can actually get a taxi there and back on my own.
    My advice to you would be to really try hard to get there as it is worth it.

Pink
    x

I would love to attend a Support Group - just wish there was one in my area.

Thread Information