Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitten advice - please help!

Kitten advice - please help!

Hi all.

Sorry for this random question - it's taking me right into the heights of anxiety.

My two female kittens were spayed 6 days ago. One of them has been fine. The other one seems to be having problems.

The day after the operation (tuesday), I had to rush her into the vets when she became lethargic and shaky. Pain, they said, and gave her an injection.

I told the Vet she'd been licking the stiches a bit and hated the collar. He said that was fine.

On Thursday her wound started oozing a little - bloody stuff, not pus. Friday they saw the Vet for a check. He said they were fine and could go out. So they went out when we got home. Bad idea - more of the wound started oozing.

Saturday it was still oozing more and I called the vet for advice - put the collar on her. She got so upset, she smashed the catflap clean off the door. This is a 6 month old kitten. I phoned the Vet again, feeling like a total idiot. He said it's fine just keep her in and leave the collar on.

It's now Sunday and nearly a week on. She's barely eating, she's barely walking. She shakes and goes ridgid when I touch her - she's normally very affectionate. All she does is collapse on my bed, where I am finding increasing patches of 'ooze'.

I am working a night shift tonight which means I have to leave her all night. And again tomorrow night. I really don't know what to do. I am loathe to call the vet yet again as I'm sure they think I'm a pain in the neck. I'm just so worried about her.

I was thinking of taking her to my gran's tonight so that someone is with her, but I guess moving her will only upset her more.

Should I call the emergency vet? I'll cry on the phone (again).

What do you think? I have about 2 hours

Thanks folks xxx

Re: Kitten advice - please help!

aww swan

awww the poor lottle thing bless her

if this was me i would call another vet tell then what is goign on get a second opinion . she sounds like she has an infection to me and mabe needs somthing to clear it up poor thing .
    and i think it is a good idea for your gran to have her for the night rather then her be alone and i am sure it would make you feel better to huh

jodie

jodie xxxx

Poor puss she does sound it a state. Can you take her to the vets tomorrow afternoon, she may need some anti biotics.when did the vet last see her or has it all been phone advice?sorry just read it was friday she was seen.an emergency vet will cost a fortune and maybe wouldnt see you in the 2 hours.sorry cant be more help

love joy

Swan

You could call the emergency vet for advice but I bet they will suggest you take her in and trust me it is not cheap as we found out. It is about £100 just to be seen on a Sunday!!!

I would take her to grans tonight and try and get an appointment with your vet tomorrow afternoon when you get up.

Hope she will be ok though.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I totally agree with nic here,take her to your grans.she may not like it but at least she can be with someone.Get her to the vets first thing tomorrow,it does sound like an infection,and she shouldnt have been able to go out until the stitches were removed.

Your the only one who really knows what your cat is like,and if she is not ok it needs to be sorted.Keep us posted.Im sure she will be ok,probably needs a course of antibiotics.
    Big Hugs for you and kittens.

Thank you so much for your replies folks.

I got in a total panic. Eventually called my aunt, and sobbed down the phone. She called the vet and we took her straight in. It was a different vet to the one I've been seeing.

He took one look at her wound and said 'Oh God, yea'.

She has a rip-roaring wound infection, and a high fever

She's now had an antibiotic injection and an anti-inflammatory. She's eaten some tea and is still upset, but is now playing with an ant so I'm hopeful that she's feeling a bit better

Vet reckons she'll be fine to be left at home tonight. I am so relieved, and so glad someone finally took me seriously. It kills me to see them suffer.

Right now I am furious with the other vets, who made me feel like a pain in the backside for bothering them and said she was fine

She has to go back for a checkup tomorrow afternoon but I'm keeping my fingers crossed she'll be ok.

Thanks again guys - your replies mean a lot

xxx

awww swan

i am so pleased you went to see another vet i thought it would be infected !
    i am sure she will be a good as new soon
    you call your other vet and give em hell hun

jodie xxx

OMG Mary,

The poor wee thing!! That first vet you had been talking to needs a bleedin good boot up the bum. If i was you i would complain bitterly. I would have been the same as you, if not worse if it was one of my pets mate.

I hope she is ok

Love Lisa
    xxxxx

Thank goodness you got her to see another vet. Most vets are fantastic but there are always some who make mistakes. My dog went to the vets one Monday because he was off his food and not himself and the vet said he had a wobbly tooth and pulled it out. She said he was fine and was well enough to undergo an anaesthetic and have his teeth cleaned! Well... he was rushed back to the vets on Wednesday and had to be put down on the Thursday due to liver failure! He was dead within 72 hours of me being told there was nothing wrong with him except a wobbly tooth! Grrrrrr. My point is you have to follow your gut instinct. Who cares what anybody else thinks as long as you do what is best for your pet.

I hope your lovely kittens are better soon.

Love and hugs from shoegal xxx

Hi Swanny

Sorry missed this been away all weekend

I would have said vets straight away

Hope puss is soon on the mend

Kaz x x x

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information