Thread: Panic coupled with needing the toilet (number 2)

Panic coupled with needing the toilet (number 2)

Hi all,

This may sound very odd, but I suffer from panic disorder, and since the panic attacks have returned, I have noticed that I usually need to use the toilet (poo), and that the needing a poo usually starts before the initial feelings of panic. I have no idea why this always seems to occur - as I never made the connection until they returned over a year ago. Sometimes going to the loo stops the panic progressing.

I had my first BIG panic attack in a few months last night, as I usually manage to stop them before I am sick, by talking myself out of it or distracting myself. When I had the attack last night I started for some reason obsessively asking myself if I wanted to be with my current partner, which was very odd. I don't know why this happened, as once I had taken my medication and then again today I was thinking that it was a very silly and irrational thought. I wondered if it might be because we are in a fairly new relationship, five months, and I have never had an attack in front of him (i have felt them coming on in front of him before but have managed to alleviate the symptoms before it got bad). Also I had a major breakdown last year due to a split with my partner, and I wonder if this plays on my mind subconsciously when I felt bad last night.

Sorry for the long winded post, I was just wondering if anyone else gets the needing the loo thing, and how it might be connected?

Thanks x

Re: Panic coupled with needing the toilet (number 2)

HI

This happens to me too and i'm sure we're not alone!

it is because when we panic, adreneline is released and tells our body to do certain things in order for us to ready ourselves for the "threat" which the panic is telling your body is coming. amongst other things, it tells our bladder and bowel to "evacuate" the contents to make the body lighter in order to respond the the "fight or flight" response. its nothing to worry about and completely normal.

have you read any books about panic attacks? try your local library - until i knew what was physically happening to my body it really scared me but now i understand it, it has made them a LITTLE earier to bear.

Hope this helps

Lou xxxx

Hi Missy,

Lou has hit the nail on the head.
    Best wishes,
    Chalky

I read that this happened when the panic started, but I seem to get it before the panic starts, and it can sometimes be alleviated when I do actually go. I have to say I only found out today that it was quite common, before then I thought it was just me until I googled it! I've got an appointment with my psychatrist tomorrow so I can let them know the panic has gotten worse, as I'm primarily seeing them due to the depression.

Thanks for the comments though - its always reassuring to know "its not just you"! xx

As an avid hunter I can tell you that when I surprise an animal it almost always "drops a deuce" before it even flees.. Relax, it is just nature. The fear is scaring the crap out of you..Also, this happens to me occasionally too.

Hi Missy,I think this happens to most of us,and totally agree with you.At the moment I have been going through some stress,and Im the opposite I keep needing to pee all the time,which gets me down even more,which makes the peeing worse.

If your hunting an animal notlikeitusedtobe Im not surprised its gonna poop itself.Thats wicked
    Last edited by yorkylover; 18-01-08 at 23:40.

I couldn't believe it when I saw this!! I so get this...I also find being sick helps... which is a mad thing to say as being sick obviously isn't good... I know it sounds silly, but I love this site, I really do begin to feel Im not alone x

Katie you will never be alone here sweety.

Thread Information