Thread: Propranolol, Temazepam, Anxiety & Insomnia

Propranolol, Temazepam, Anxiety & Insomnia

hi,

i'm a new member and i just got back from the doctors.

in the last year i had a bad life crisis and was riding the depression etc for a while, but it got to the point that i felt i was "stuck" and wasn't getting any better. i saw the doctor a couple of months before christmas and was given stuff to read about grief and generalised anxiety disorder and was told to come back in a couple of weeks (i haven't suffered a death, but grief for a child is the closest that the doctor could find... and a child therapist i know said that being separated from a child for whatever reason is a grieving process).

i'd only managed to go to the doctor about it in the first place because of something totally unrelated and plucked up the courage to mention my depression, anxiety and insomnia.

anyway, christmas was hell and returning to work was hard, making the anxiety worse, so i went back to the doctor finally.

i've been prescribed propranolol (80 mg) to take once or twice daily and temazepam (10mg) rpn at night short course only.

what does "rpn" mean?

i have to go back to the doctor in 2 weeks to talk about cognitive therapy, but have only 10 tablets of temazepam... i've read about problems coming off temazepam, so what about the gap between stopping the tablets and going back to the doctor?

i'm a teacher and a bit worried about the effects of the drugs on my ability to teach.

also i read that temazepam can make depression and suicidal thoughts worse. hello? that's part of the reason i went to the doctor in the first place! i think about suicide btw but not in a practical way, more like i catch myself thinking (everyday) it would be easier to not exist, but then think, no goddam it, i wanna live and for it to be great!

i just wanna get back to where i was. my anxiety is preventing me from doing things i used to enjoy. the depression is up and down... i tend to be really excited and manic and within a moment hit a slump.

can't wait for spring and blossom!

i'm ranting... any advice about the drugs would be good...

i drink everyday (a little) and it helps the anxiety. do i REALLY have to avoid alcohol? i live on my own btw.

ideally i wanted to get through this naturally, but as i said i'm stuck, and i can't go and teach while anxious and not sleeping for 48 hours!

thanks

..::mDa::..

Re: Propranolol, Temazepam, Anxiety & Insomnia

Hello mDa

Just dashed here from your other thread!

I'm so sorry you seem to have had bucketfulls of stuff thrown at you.

I can't comment on the two meds you mention I'm afraid, but I did take Citalopram (which I believe is similar in many ways to propranolol?) and yes, the initial side effects can be quite awful - but please try and stick with it. These side effects are only temporary - granted, sometimes longer for some than others - but still only temporary. Once they have established in your system things should settle down quite considerably. This was my own personal experience anyway. Oh, and with regard to the alcohol - excessive amounts are inadvisable with any medication. However, I found by trial and error that a maximum of two medium glasses of wine at any one time were quite acceptable whilst I was on Citalopram. Others may find differently though.

As for the 'rpn' I don't know what it stands for either so I looked it up on Wikepaedia - you may or may not find the resulting explanation amusing:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPN

However, I'm sure a member more informed (and sensible) than I will be forthcoming.

I'm sure you'll get the help and support you're looking for here.

Take care

rpn means when neccessary

Joy
    Last edited by joy; 15-01-08 at 15:11. Reason: extra letter in wrong place

thankyou both. :-)

..::mDa::..

Hi mDa,

I think GPs only give a short course of medication such as Temazepam because it is addictive and therefore not ideal as a longer-term solution. You should probably only take it when you need to for this reason . Depending on the dosage you're unlikely to have a problem coming off it after only ten tablets. I had a similar short course of Diazepam a while ago and had no problems with just stopping it.

All medication can have nasty side effects but this doesn't mean you'll suffer from them. I believe drug companies have to declare every side effect that has been reported so it could be that only a tiny proportion of people on any given medication will experience a side effect listed in the leaflet.

Beta blockers shouldn't affect your ability to teach - it should make it easier because it will reduce your anxiety. Temazepam will make you drowsy, though if you take it at night the effects should have worn off by the morning.

Good luck,

Will

HI ive just been pescribed propranolol and i got 7 temazepam but after reading the side effects im frightewned to take it

Hi, I just come back from doc's - went to talk about being anxious. Mine's more a specefic form but it brings on depression from time to time. The doc booked me in again to discuss further and suggested medication. To be honest I sh*t myself, I just hate the idea of drugs controlling the mind. I would see if you could try cognitive therapy I think it can work wih the right shrink- as at the end of the day drugs wern't the cause of the prob. Good luck...

I have been having treatment for depression since last year and am on venlafaxine but my sleeping or non-sleep has got worse so doc has given me weeks work of temazepam 10mg. I have taken it for two nights and slept no better. Should it work the first night? I slept my usual three hours and then was awake until alarm went off. Would appreciate any assistance thank you.

Thread Information