Thread: Social Anxiety Is Quite Severe

Social Anxiety Is Quite Severe

Live in a small town which normally dont see much off as am agrophobic which am sure is genetic uncle is the same, and truthfully am shyer then most people.

Am male 26 and have no physical disablitie.
    Always been shy and its bloody horrible avoiding eye contact etc always looking down in crowds, interacting with people is poor etc as am quiet a true introvert. Like people are lilke " U dont talk your so quiet" Truth is am scared and unsure what to say and how to act to people strangers.

Not that theres anything wrong with being an introvert been reserved private shy but the social side to it isnt getting much better.
    Am always in a state of terror and doom when go out and like today small things seem overwelming when they shouldnt have to. Hate feeling like this trapped almost, mentally constanty putting up obstacles not to do things as it feels so unpleasant and unbearable.
    Read the books done the exercises but it all goes when get outside and in exposure etc.
    Like doing the what u practise u become etc etc but cant always do that when go outside its fine inside because its safe but am scared of been judged and humilated when outside like using body language to get point acoss am very aware of everyone else and become suspicious and tense around them self conceuss even when use glasses like reading glasses or now low strength perscription ones which is useful when am feeling like this.
    Take propanolol 30 mg daily beta blocker to stop so much adrenaline flowing and have been on venlafaxine 150 g for 3 half years which isnt doing much for anxiey.
    Usedto have a drink problem beer only 6 to 8 cans a night but have that under control now realised that it messed upsleep patterns and rocketed anxiety next day.
    Like today just going out to libary end up in buckets of sweat and when in there feel like in a pinball machine around everyone like head is being bashed around like the pinball.
    When get home after 20 minute journey max on push bike or waliking am covered in sweat always sweat badly am overweight but nothing major like.
    Hate feeling like dont belong am not supposed to be here and there.
    Exercise alot and that is the cure endorphins realease anxiety lowered if only temporary.
    Am going to try and get something else from doctors but have to be careful what take cause it might disturb bodies balance of things.

Take bach remedie rescue rememdie to.

Not preaching or want pity just new to this and wanted to get story over
    Realise anxiety is common but its becoming bad enough to get in the way of a normal life with independance and with a work placement coming up, its going to really be a struggle am unemployed right now.

www.blackilusion6666@freewebs.com

Re: Social Anxiety Is Quite Severe

sorry freewebs site is under construction should have it done soon

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forum!!

There will be loads of support and advice available to you here.
    Your work placement sounds like a very positive move for you and your exercise routine is definitely a good idea.
    Best wishes,
    Chalky

Hey Bob,

I just wanted to say that I completely understand what you are dealing with. I'm not going to tell you anything new in the way of how you are feeling. I struggle with this greatly too. I personally have tried many different medications with no real tangible difference. But what I can do is offer a couple things that I do to cope with the tremendous social anxiety and agoraphobia that happen to me every single day. It is rough and sometimes seemingly impossible, but I have had to reason with myself, that if I chose not to battle this anymore and not re-focus myself, then I will become outright emotionally and mentally crippled.

These two things will help only as long as you really put them into practice and stay with them. Another thing, is that they are incredibly simple and useful in any social situation.

The first suggestion that helps me to ward off this anxiety, is fixate within myself, "tunnel vision". What I mean by that is when you need to or want to get out and get some things accomplished, focus yourself upon that objectives. Nothing more, nothing less. Kind of like a racehorse with blinders on. This forces you to set aside any outside triggers that cause anxiety. If a situation should arise where I am having a conversation, this "tunnel vision", will make the situation even easier because while in conversation, I rest in the fact that my only objective is this discussion, nothing else. I can keep looking up, and even look at people in the eyes, without breaking outside this "tunnel vision". No matter where you go, or what you do, the objectives are your focus, and not the "pinball" effect. By the way, that was a great analogy in your post. On days when the social anxiety is at it's peak, I carry a token of some kind to remind me that I need to put those blinders back on and accomplish what I need to take of. This includes work, recreation, or relaxing in the front yard.

The second thing that I have found that helps me, is taking time to refresh myself. This is more of a OCD thing for me, because I have obsessive thoughts of worrying if I have done something wrong, offended anyone, or forgot to do something. But, by a simple act of taking the time to splash some water on my face, getting some kind of refreshment, and take some time to rest my mind. Doing this allows me to slow down and gather my racing thoughts. It is a way to tell your body that you are listening to it, and that you are going to take care of it. It makes a great difference, when the anxiety starts to kick in, and shaking / sweating occur. When you take the time to control your body, your mind feels better, and vice-versa.

With these two methods, although they sound rather simplistic and easier said than done, they take me to a point where at the end of the day, I can feel as though I conquered these feelings. Even though the next day I may feel like "hell", I can't tell myself that I am not able to go through this again, because I have already proved to myself that I can. So, I have no excuses. Like I said before, I have struggled for a long time, and will not say that it will be easy, but I felt I could share these ideas that for me, have been tools that I can always have with me.

I hope these can help you too. Stay strong and take care of yourself,

David (NewDawnFades)

Thread Information