Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School Run Panic Attacks - Why?

School Run Panic Attacks - Why?

Hello

I am new on here and am getting very distressed. I keep getting panic attacks, always on the school run - I feel bad from the minute I get in from work until I have picked up the kids and am back home.

I had severe PND when my son was born five years ago, coupled with anxiety and panic - since then I have returned to work and live a pretty normal life except for this Fear of Fear that I have - its starting to wear me out - I know you should'nt run and that you should ride the fear out but at the time my rational mind does not work and I just want to run as fast as I can to get out of the situation.

Does anyone else suffer with anxiety and panic - why is it that it always happens at the same place - I must look a right miserable cow at the school - I turn up and cannot wait to get away - I must also look very flustered.

Knowing if anyone else has similar feelings would really help

Thank you to any one that replies.

Re: School Run Panic Attacks - Why?

Hi Panicky Me.

I can really relate to this one. I have had panic disorder and anxiety for about six years now and think that the hardest thing I have had to overcome is the shcool run. I have struggled so much with this one that I have to take my husband or my Mum with me. I don't know what it is, maybe it's all the crowds that make us feel like this. I have to say the more I keep doing it the easier it becomes anything to do with going to the school sends me into panic. I feel that everyone thinks I am a miserable woman coz I don't talk to many people, I am so busy dealing with my panic at the school I just don't feel able to talk to others, just want to get it over and done with.

Carol

Hi

I am exactly the same as you on this one-and believe me you are not the only person to feel like this. Often in the chatrrom there are a few of us in around the school run time and we help support each other and offer each other words of encouragement.

I have been known on more than a few occasions to invent fake appointments in order to pick the kids up early just so i dont haver to wait around for the school run or I ring around people to see if they can get them! I'm not embarased about this as i know i'm not the only mother, or perhaps father, who does this lol

I find that taking my dog with me helps, just something to shift the attention to, or I listen to music or play games on my mobile-try to find a distraction technique until you feel comfortable.

Lou xxxxx

hi your certainly not alone on this one i panick on school runs school plays im even guilty of keeping my son off school because of it i felt realy guilty its like lou said ther a few on here in the chatroom who feel exactly the same tc elaine xx

Smile Re: School Run Panic Attacks - Why?

Thanks for the replies and kind words.

It helps knowing others feel the same way. I just cant understand how at work I can cope with anything thrown at me, but thinking about the school run and doing it turns me into a wreck!

I will try using the mp3 player to listen to music to distract myself, may help as sometimes sounds around seem to set of the panic.

Will keep trying and stop trying to avoid the situation - fortuanately I only do the pick up from school husband takes them in the morning - but I do spend a lot of the day worrying about the pick up.

Thanks again for the kind replies and I sincerely hope you too start to get over the panic attacks or at least learn to live with them better - they take so much energy and are so cruel - after the last lot I want to learn to get over these without the Dr prescribing drugs and trying to sign me off work - I want to do this without the tablets - I will keep trying & try to stop running.

Will have a look at chat room some time.

Take Care,

Thanks again

Krissie

Maybe you could try to work out what exactly sets off your panic. Is it speaking to other mums and dads, waiting around without doing anything, or something else?

i too suffer with this but rarely have to do the school run as i work. the stupid thing is i work in a school and like you can do anything im asked but absolutely dread having to take my daughter to school on the odd occasion go. i've always been the same though with my older children too. i'm not an expert but with me i think its the fact that i cant get out if it. i've got to go and i've got to wait no matter how awful i feel and so feel trapped.
    dont know if thats any help?

ju x

for me it was the dizziness that made it difficult , so many people , hate it !

Hi Krissie,

just a quick question! Did your panick and anxiety begin when you had your son as I've been suffering panick and anxiety...particularly about me health since the birth of my daughter in sept.???

Just wondered if this could be what brought it on?

Cassi

definately the birth of my son started my panic attacks which went on to agorapobia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information