Thread: Bees And Wasps

Bees And Wasps

Hi Everyone

I really hate bees and wasps, I can't stand being near them, the noise they make, if one goes near me I run away(sounds rather silly and childish, but can't really help it), they just terrify me.

I can't believe what happend today, I was on the computer, then suddenly I heard a buzzing noise and this stripy coloured thing landed on me (turned out to be a wasp). I sort of pushed it off , made a noise and ran away, had to get my dad to get rid for me, couldn't go in the room with a bee/wasps around. I had to hide in the loo until the wasp had gone.

That was just so terrible, I even hate to watch them on tv.

Cheers

shygirlajb

Re: Bees And Wasps

Hi there Shygirlajb,

I am nervous of bees and wasps too, but not phobic. However, it was definitely a learned fear, and was verging on becoming irrational. Fortunately, I met someone who taught me to love the bee. I shall never love wasps - I'll always run away from them sqeaking like an irate mouse, but I can live with that.

Anyway. If this phobia is getting on your nerves, there are ways of tackling it.

1. Are you actually allergic to bee or wasp stings? If not, there is nothing they can do to you that will cause more than short term soreness.

2. It is a learned fear. Which means you can learn to not be so fearful.

3. The best thing to do around bees and wasps is remain calm. Easier said than done I know. If a wasp lands on me I feel panicked for a long time. However, fake the calmness! Tell yourself (out loud if need be) that you are fine, the insect is not hurting you, and you will stay calm. Basically, "boss" your brain into accepting that you're fine. With practice, the panic mechanism will no longer trigger. Every time you flap and act out the panic you're feeling, you reinforce the link in your brain between "bee / wasp" and "panic feelings". That connection can be broken.

4. Bees are friendly beasties, and mean no harm to anybody. They make honey, and pollinate plants - including lots of foods like apples. Without them, we would be worse off. ("At least 39 crops grown for their fruit or seed are insect pollinated, and a further 32 need insects for propagative seed production. Honey bees and bumble bees generally outnumber all other pollinators of these crops" http://www.beefarmers.co.uk/articles/p2_articleid/5)

Best wishes

Robin

Hi..

I am scared of them too. When i was 3 somehow walked into a bee/wasp nest and i was stung many many time and had to go to hospital. Since then, obviously i am really scared, i can still remember it happening!!

Now, if i am stung, the last time being about 10 years ago, i knelt on one and it stung my knee. My leg from ankle to thigh came up red and swollen. It was horrid.

My son is frightened too. He won't even go out in the garden if he thinks he see's one. I have not told him about my fear....he's just developed it on his own..hmm....

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

Hi there Bluebell

"My son is frightened too. He won't even go out in the garden if he thinks he see's one. I have not told him about my fear....he's just developed it on his own..hmm..."

I suspect you've displayed your fear of wasps in front of him.

We don't need to say that we are scared of something to pass it on, acting the behaviour out does it far more effectively.

I see it where I live all the time. Parents drag their little kids away from dogs on their leads, or back away rapidly as the dog walks past, so the kid very quickly learns to associate dogs with fear behaviour. And bingo! Another kid that's scared of dogs is created.

It isn't a conscious behaviour.

Another example, my ex was very scared of moths. But he can remember when it started. His elder sister was very scared of moths and he wasn't. Then a moth flew at his sister, she screamed and ran, and from then on he would feel panic at seeing a moth. He was about 3, and is lucky he could remember that, as he then basically trained himself not be afraid. Most people don't remember something like that so clearly (he had a very clear memory right back to about 18 months).

best wishes

Robin

Bee's and wasps I'm fine with, but SPIDERS!!!!!!! aaargghhhh

Kate

Robin, please do not assume that, I can 100% say i have NEVER displayed any act of fear. If there is a wasp i will ignore it, i do not flap about, which my son has a massive habit of doing. I am very aware of keeping my fears hidden from my son, simply because i do not want him growing up to be like me. He's scared because someone at school told him that they sting and hurt because they were stung (i just asked him that!!!!).

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

Hi i understand where you are coming from. i am petrified myself from them. if there are any in shops i won't go in until it is away. one summer i was cleaning the car out and silly me was using baby wipes. bad mistake as the smell attracted the wasps. i kept on running up and down the street, screaming until eventually my neighbour came out asked me if i was okay and said he wished he had a video camera.

Thread Information