Thread: employment and support allowance

employment and support allowance

ive been reading about the benefit change thats going to happen in the uk in november, has anyone else read about it?
    heres a link to it http://www.disabilityalliance.org/ib...lowance%20(ESA) if this isnt allowed please remove and sorry.

Re: employment and support allowance

its already making me feel a bit worried that people like me with agoraphobia may be forced to interviews

I agree, it sounds awful.

It sounds almost like it is designed to discriminate against people like us.

All I can see is will create an even lower class of society who fail to meet their 'tests' but are unable to earn money. How those people will live I don't understand?

I can then see those people with mental health issues getting even more ill. I know that I'm not able to work and if my benefits are cut because I don't pass their tests I daren't think of the consequences.

I feel lucky that at least I'm already on Incapacity and DLA and am not applying for it as new.

Is this actually been passed by parliament? Or is it being proposed and debated now?

Jim

I am going for a medical for this benefit today. To say I am terrified is an understatement. I have read and heard that the criteria is really harsh and designed almost to 'trick' people. An example of such is being asked "Do you sleep during the day?" to which a person replied 'no' as they knew that sleeping during the day made things even worse for them at night time. They were rejected partly on the basis that sleep posed no problems for them, although she had terrible problems at night time and spent most of the day in a dream like state.

I have read up what I can about it but have decided that it is pretty futile as I can't guess what they are going to ask me.

My cpn is going with me. I went to CAB to ask if I could get out of going and their answer was 'no' because ultimately, they want everyone to go. I couldn't go alone, no way. I couldn't ask my hubs or mum cos then I couldn't be candid about some of my problems that they are not even aware of. However, my cpn is apparently not allowed to talk or give information....even though one of my problems is freezing when under pressure. She is only allowed to be there as a support.

I have also read of some one being asked how she was today. Like me she has bipolar that is not yet adequately under control. As such, her moods can vary dramatically. She was fine on that day. As a result? Fit to work.

I am not fit to work at present. It has taken me three years, several hospital stays and a lot of ill health to recognise this. If this assesment reckons that I am, then I am really scared of the effect it will have on my mental health and my finances. This seems really unfair when it has taken me so long to take the madvice I was being given.

I will write a follow up once I have been.

Happyone
    xx

I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.
    —Mark Twain

hope it was not too frightening today

Hi happyone

I hope you got on ok today, please let us know.

I don't know how I managed to get away without having a medical but I told them that I was housebound & couldn't go anywhere & that they could willing come around my home. I also have a lot of physical problems as well, so maybe that's why they just carried on with the incap benefit without seeing me. I was ready to fight tooth & nail but didn't have to

Yet I was turned down for dla, doesn't make any sense.

Els
    xxx

Ive just the read the link and in one way this dosn't apply to me as I claim income support for being lone parent but the rules have changed there rather dramatically and oct next year I will be no longer able to qualify as my youngest will be 7 (at the moment children have to be 11) Im actually in a potition of just starting to look for work as Ive been so much better latley with far fewer panics, but the thought of not having the fall back option of being able to return to income support if it goes wrong is bothering me, even if I carried on improving and never need too reclaim just knowing you have a all back is reassuring. Im sure many of you who claim IS for Incapacity reasons would also feel less sure about returning to work with out a definite saftey net if it didnt work out. makes it all the more daunting.

so Ive been exploring all the avenues as to what if I suddenly take a turn for a worse , I had been trying to find some more info on this new employment support allowance and hadn't found much so link you put up is appretiated.

I must say with all the Lone parent changes info , much as its not good its at least pretty clear on the ins and outs of the change, but reading the info on the link for the new employment allowance I have to say its very Vauge and broad, I was left with the feeling that Im not quite sure exactly where you would stand if claiming for it. Very worrying.

I consider my self pretty good with the how the benefit system works, but these changes are just a shambles really.
    I think if your local Job center has decent and sensitive staff you will be ok its the people who get a jobs worth who might end up suffering.

I actually had a Lone parent interview yesterday as Im thinking about work know , she said most of the time the JC staff are always the last to know whats happening and the claiments hear first, even she said that was appaling as how can they advise us if even they dont know whats happening!!
    and another thing , (sorry to bore everyone more) the changes for lone parents would mean they would have to go to JC every 2 weeks to proove they have been attempting to look for work, I dont know how often the employment allowance will expect people to visit them but a fear how the will affect any agoraphobics and those who dont manage to turn up because of there illness!

you can all wake up now Ive stopped my rant .

"Oh!" said Chicken Licken, "the sky is falling! I must go and tell the king."

[quote=Jimbo;296235]I agree, it sounds awful.

It sounds almost like it is designed to discriminate against people like us.

All I can see is will create an even lower class of society who fail to meet their 'tests' but are unable to earn money. How those people will live I don't understand?

I can then see those people with mental health issues getting even more ill. I know that I'm not able to work and if my benefits are cut because I don't pass their tests I daren't think of the consequences.

I feel lucky that at least I'm already on Incapacity and DLA and am not applying for it as new.

Is this actually been passed by parliament? Or is it being proposed and debated now?

Jim [/quote)
    Yes it has been passed by parliament.

Esa was implemented in October 2008 to replace incapacity benefit for new claimants. I don't think you are lucky as they are then going to move the claimants on long term incapacity benefit on to esa. I am very worried about this.

happyone how did you get on? What happened at the meducal?

Thread Information