Thread: Social Event

Social Event

Hi,
    This friday I have to go to a family party, I say have to, because I have run out of excuses for not going to events. I have been dreading this since before christmas.

You see it won't really matter whether it goes well or it goes horribly wrong because I will worry and dissect even the smallest thing the next day. I WILL worry myself sick that I didn't talk enough - because I will be terrified-
    that I looked miserable, that people didn't like me enough to talk to me. Thats even before the panic sets in.

As I've said it won't matter if it goes fine , after its over I'll just go on to worry about something else it could be a big thing like friday or some ordinary everyday thing. Its so tiring! I feel like I'm not in control of me, I feel like I don't know how I became this bad, how my life became this bad and I don't know how to move forward.

Before I read a few of the posts on this forum, and the advise makes good sense, written by people who have been there, who know what they are talking about. I understand that you have to try to move forward I just don't
    know how to get there. I don't know how to start.

I'm not sure this even makes any sense, I think I just had to write it down now hopefully I will be able to get some sleep. I still have four whole days of work to get through before I even get to this party and thats bad enough.
    Sorry I know this isn't a very happy post. Anna

Re: Social Event

Hi Anna,

I do understand where you are coming from.I have found that I have had to develop patience and acceptance to help me cope with my anxiety.
    I have had to accept that my thought process will automatically tread the negative route.
    Being positive about future events just isn't normal for me.Having accepted this,I then need to start challenging my negative thinking-and this is hard,sometimes frustrating work but I do not really see any other option.
    Friday is still a long way away.
    Living one day at a time-doing my best for that day- does take a bit of the pressure off.Focus on today not tomorrow until you have built up some more strength.
    Through doing so,you can build up a reservoir of better days which should lead to a bit more self-confidence.
    Why not give it a try?
    Don't forget Friday may also be a positive experience- people pleased to see you,etc.
    I hope it goes well for you.
    Best wishes,
    Chalky

Thread Information