Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: avoid seroxat

Re: avoid seroxat

I have only one word for it

POISON

Kaz x

Hiya

I think most people do have problems with coming off these type of meds. They help things work properly in your head, so reducing the dose will change how you feel.

When my doc wanted to put me on seroxat/paroxetine I was reluctant, but she said they are very helpful for people with panic/anxiety. I was in such a state at the time I was willing to give it a go. She's a lovely doctor (who has now left sadly), and full of concern, good listening and great advice.

I went up to 30 mg and now am down to 20mg. I tried 10mg and felt terrible. Its knowing which is anxiety and which is withdrawal. But I have to say they have helped me so much, even at the time I started I said if I have to be on them for the rest of my life I don't care. I just want a normal life for myself and more importantly for my family.

I was on venlafaxine/efexor before as antidepressant, and that was also hell to come off. This was before PAs. Once I'd reduced dose enough I took a week to lie on sofa and feel crap with headshocks, dizziness etc. If I have to go through that again I will.

But other who are taking seroxat and feeling worried should remember: What med works for one person does not work for another. (as in all illnesses) And the same stands for coming off meds when its time. Doing it under medical supervision is the best way, it will make some people feel awful, but others wil be fine. Personally I still have my concerns, but seroxat makes my life liveable rather than just surviving.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.So sail away from the safe harbor. Explore. Dream. Discover.

I took seroxat for 9 years and did experience a lot of problems coming off the medication. Even though i came off very slowly and followed all medical advice i did still get severe head shocks throughout taking seroxat. I eventually managed to get off the medication with the help of a very qualified prescribing advisor. She recommended cutting down by 25% of the dose, never more, however small the dose had become. This proved very helpful in the latter stages of getting off the stuff without crippling side effects. And not altering the dose more often than every 3 weeks. It's a very slow process but it was as pain free as it's possible to be with this drug. I had some very bad experiences with seroxat, i put on a lot of weight, slept for way too many hours and largely lost my identity, but I'm still alive and without seroxat I'm not at all sure i would have been. Everyone must make up their own mind depending on their circumstances.
    Last edited by Cheekyone; 13-08-08 at 16:17.

hi there, just switching from seroxat to citalopram and despite the doc saying that it's another ssri and that there wont be any withdrawl, it never felt so bad last night. Been on the citalopram for three days now and was wondering how long this awful thing is going to last. Anybody help please as I don't want to go through another horrible night like the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by fretty freda View Post
    to all the people out there who are on seroxat and i have worried them i am sorry everyone will react differently
    but i will still say DONT START if you havent already i was on it for 6 years and when i withdrawed using the liquid in a syrine and gradually reducing the dose i suffered ELETRIC SHOCK in my head and my legs were uncontrolable they would not stay still !
    i felt like a drug addict well it is a drug !

hope everyone will way up the pros and cons and do whats best
    i am still on medication CIPRALEX NOW and i dont care if i have to take it for the rest of my life i dont want to suffer withdrawal ever again !

Yep when i came off my seroxat I had electric shocks and tingles, fast heart beat and the runs but I knew what it was so at the time it didn't upset me also I wasn't craving seroxat I just waited till the side effects stoped and they did.
    4 months later my anxiety came back in a nasty way so I went back onto my meds, they are a god send and yes they do have some nast side effects but I wouldn't have a life without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellandrhia View Post
    hi there, just switching from seroxat to citalopram and despite the doc saying that it's another ssri and that there wont be any withdrawl, it never felt so bad last night. Been on the citalopram for three days now and was wondering how long this awful thing is going to last. Anybody help please as I don't want to go through another horrible night like the last one.

Why are you changing from one ssri to another ??? they are the same

Personally I think these medications can cause far more problems long term than your original problem.

I have been on Seroxat for a long time, these have been a god send for me. I did come off them at one time and the side effects were not nice but I think the side effects are the same for most anti depressant drugs as I have tried a few. I would rather be on seroxat for the rest of my life if it gets me through each day. I know they dont work for everyone.

I don't think all ssris are the same - I diarised each med I have had and oooh I've had many.

Lisslady - I wish I'd never come off it - could kill the gp who talked me into coming off it cos I was "so well".

Question Re: avoid seroxat

Quote Originally Posted by Ellandrhia View Post
    I also switching from seroxat 40 m straight onto citalopram 20 m This is the journey from hell On day 9 now Day 5 to 7 the worst for me How you going on?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information