Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Psychiatrist

Psychiatrist

After my last "episode" in November, the doctor obviously got worried about me and suggested i see a Psychiatrist (this is totally seperate to the CBT i've been waiting for!).

I have no idea what to expect. If anyone could shed some light it would be great

Thanks.

x

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

Re: Psychiatrist

Hi Bluebell
    sorry to hear you have been referred to a psychiatrist
    Truly hope you see someone on the ball!! and whats more positive and enthusiastic.
    Don't be frightened but most definately take someone with you into the interview if at all possible, as they are mostly very cold and clinical and tie you up in knots!
    Best of British Luck xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Richie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No need to be afraid of seeing a psychiatrist. I've seen a few over the years and unlike Richie I have found them to be concerned and helpful. Their role is to get the medication right. It is helpful to have someone with you though in case you don't take it all in. Also suggest you jot down what you want to say before you go.

Hi Bluebell,

There is nothing to worry about hun as seeing the Psych can be a good thing. Mine has been able to suggest what therapy is best for me and he didn't actually push the Meds with me as he knows i have problems taking them.
    I take my partner with me as i generally forget some of what's been discussed!
    and it's also prob a good idea if you have things to ask him to write them down.
    Hope it all goes well for you

Love
    Pink
    xxx

i am afraid i am going to put a dampner on things now - people i know who have seen a psych have found it made them worse not better and like richie says - they are generally cold and clinical - if you are the sort of person looking for reassurance and an optimistic approach - just be careful who you see. i saw someone twice and came out feeling 10 times worse - if your mind feels in a mess anyway - it makes you feel terrible being asked things that tie you up in knots further! i sincerely believe that the way to treat anxiety is in the here and now - our reactions and thoughts about it keep it alive - not what may have triggered it off in the first place.

of course - you may feel comfortable with them and you may start to feel better but i think cbt is the way forward - even if you just get a book from your library. the thing is - we need to be proactive in our recovery. i myself have been guilty of reading all the books etc or seeing people and then expecting to be cured but we have to be proactive in our own recovery and find out what works for us.

i personally have decided not to go down the therapy route at all - it would stress me out having to see someone and keep me more focused on the anxiety. i am making huge strides with total acceptance of my symptoms and learning to change my thought patterns. i really agree that the right kind of therapy has its place in treatment but ultimately our recovery is down to us. i have been through it all - different counsellors, different meds including natural ones - i have literally spent 10 years rushing from one thing to another in search of the cure but have realised that the cure is found within and if you read all the success stories of anxiety being overcome - it all comes down to acceptance - that is the only thing that will get you out of the cycle of fear-adrenalin-fear.

Have to agree with the last thread, having had a close relative who has seen psychiatrists throughout his life and having been involved with some of these meetings, I have seen what a hit and miss approach this can be at times. They are very clinical, almost no personality and the environment can be very negative. I think most of this comes from their academic background and I guess to some extent they have to stay on the outside in order to observe the symptoms and get a full picture. Psychologists work on an emotional level, showing you how your thoughts effect your mood and giving you the tools to deal with this. I do agree that CBT is the way forward and I remember the day that I bought a book on CBT, my mood was so low, had reached rock bottom, by the end of the week, having completed the exercises and come to an uderstanding of how I was keeping the cycle going, my mood had lifted remarkably much more than any antidepressant had ever done for me.

I must just be one of the lucky ones as my Psych is a young fella with a caring attitude who actually listens to what i have to say and how i am feeling.
    I always come away from my appointment feeling that my questions have been answered.

I guess as in all walks of life there are good and bad!

Love
    Pink
    xxx

hi yeah
    There are good and bad medics
    Sorry Bluebell if i frightened you didn't mean to, you may get to see someone like pink panic who is young and caring and has a positive approach to your problems, think they are being trained to have a different approach these days. So if you are not happy with the initial appointment then ask for a second opinion and c someone else.
    Problem i had was the guy came i saw couldn't speak english that well,
    was having problems of his own , which i told him i was very sorry about but he plonked a great big bag of his own meds from the chemist on the desk,
    told me he'd had enough of job and was leaving soon lol Yeah honest to god
    He fired random and obscure questions at me and left me tears.
    But you hopefully won't have that experience.
    Take care Richie xxxxxx

I agree with all the above. It does depend on the psychiatrist. I had a very old school guy years ago and used to come out of meetings annoyed with him. Then I had a more progressive guy and he was good for a while but when things got difficult for me he just wanted to shove more drugs at me. Some of which I took and am still struggling to get off over a year later. The lady I have now is brilliant - very holistic in her approach and around my own age which helps. She's also the same background as me - from the same country etc which helps the empathy. What I really want to say is don't be afraid to go and see someone but go with an open mind (and a friend/family member). If you don't click you go elsewhere.

I think a big part of the problem is lack of money in the mental health service in general. With too many patients and to few psychiatrists. I know in my area I recently read that some ludicrously low amount per year was allocated for each patient with mental health problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information