Thread: blood pressure am i crazy?

blood pressure am i crazy?

Hi everyone i used this site about two years ago when i was really bad, and it helped no end .But recently ive had to start taking my citalpram again no biggy but all of a sudden the last three days ive had a muzzy head and tension with funny vision all mixed in with dizziness so i went to the docs , he took my blood pressure and i knew my pulse would be high 117 but my blood pressure was 153/84 he took it again and it was about the same , he was not worried said its a bad headache and anxiety but im not convicned im only 26 do you think i need a second opion thanks

Re: blood pressure am i crazy?

Hi
    if you are worried then get a second opinion. There is no harm in that. Im not suggesting you should not trust the first doctor but if it will stop you worrying about it then go ahead.
    Best of luck
    Donna x

i agree with doglover if its really worrying you ,go to another doctor your reading is a little bit up but if your anxious it will creep up.

if the doctors not worried then you shouldnt be worried . i know easier said than done .

i feel like im going mad , but then arent we all lol

i know it difficult ,you"ll be all right ,i used to be paranoid about blood pressure too , but i thought if the doctors letting me walk out the surgery
    then cant be that bad .if you have anxiety thats whats making it creep up
    go back to doc tell him your concerned and im sure they will put your mind at rest .

sally.....

If it will help ease your mind get a second opinion but high blood pressure cant be diagnosed by one reading. Generally it takes several readings that stay high over a period of time, like weeks or months.
    That being said I am the #1 worrier of blood pressure because I had a severe situation happen following the birth of my children. It kind of turned into a PTSD.
    I would just monitor it, especially during times when you are calm. If it stays up then defintely seek another opinion. And although its hard try to relax. that will help alot! Hugs!

Hiya Potts

Temporary rises in BP are common. Anxiety can lift BP, so can other things like diet (too much sodium/salt) etc.

A GP will not usually diagnose a high BP on one reading unless it is off the scale. And with you being so young, I imagine that he is not overly concerned as high BP has to be diagnosed over a period of time, and takes many years to take it's toll on the body.

Possibly, like me you may have "white coat syndrome". This just means your BP rises because you are at the docs and naturally your BP reading is higher than normal.

153/84 is not "off the scale", to give you some idea of the numbers:

120/80 - optimal

upto 139/85 - high normal

140/90 to 159/95 - mild hypertention and so on.

Remember though, everyones BP will go up and down depending what they are doing, so do not be alarmed by one slighty high reading.

You should be able to get in to your GP surgery and see a nurse to have another reading if you wanted a 2nd opinion to ease your thoughts.

TC

Jaco

Hi Potts,

Just to add to the reassuring comments already here. BP can rise simply because you are anxious - my Mums GP no longer takes her BP at the surgery because it will ALWAYS be high. In the end she made my Mum have a 24 hour monitoring of her BP which showed that under normal circumstances (ie - not in the doctor's surgery) it was normal.

A lower reading of 86 is fine - honestly.

I was through the roof with anxiety last week at my GPs and my lower figure was 100! He doubled my BP medication but I am going to ask him for a 24 hour monitoring too as I suspect I am just like my Mum.

Thread Information