Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bottled Water and Sodium

Bottled Water and Sodium

As part of my regime to help with anxiety symptons I am drinking lots of bottled water and taking much better care of my overall health. This means following the Department of Health guidelines regarding fruit and vegetables and monitoring my intake of sodium to meet the recommended 6mg maximum per day issued by the Department of Health.

I have been having a number of hospital tests lately which involve blood tests and all are showing me with raised sodium levels, so I am thinking how can this be. I eat next to no processed foods and take no salt on my food or add none in the cooking process. I eat healthy food and drink lots of spring water how can I have elevated sodium levels?

I decide to look at the label on my still spring water in search of an answer and wham 10mg of sodium per litre of water, so a two litre bottle takes me 3 times over the recommended daily intake of sodium stated by the Department of Health. I then visit the supermarket and find huge sodium levels in many brands of bottled water only Highland Spring has an amount below 5mg per litre. So even drinking two litres of this would take me over the government limits.

I have written to the Department of Health last week and asked for their clarification on this as they recommend we consume 8 glasses of water (2 litres) a day which I have been doing but this would seriously contradict their current recommendation on safe sodium consumption. I await their reply.

I mention this on here as increased sodium has been shown in research to play a role in increased blood pressure and anxiety related symptons. My sodium levels and blood pressure have increased and I think it is important that others are aware that drinking lots of bottled water given the current high levels of sodium they contain may not be as good for us as we first thought.

I just had a look at the Severn Trent water quality ..

Analysis Typical Value UK EU Limit Units

Sodium 30 150 mgNa/l

Hi Meg that is my water region as well. Is it saying 30mg of sodium per litre of water! So two litres of that per day would be 10 times the recommended safe intake according to the Department of Health. Am I reading that correctly Meg?

Whow ..light bulb

I think the guidelines are 6 gms a day not 6 mgs..!!

ok so it is all ok then?

I dont understand gms and mgs lol

Nicola

http://www.salt.gov.uk/

over 11 years old - up to 6 gms a day.

Yes, its totally fine - whew ! I think in a quick calculation you're ok up to about 600 litres a day.

1000mg in 1 gm.

Got me going there David .

I really am so impressed at all you are doing to help yourself the last couple of weeks and glad you're seeing the benefit.

Many congratulations.

Meg

Hi David

Pleased Meg could help you on that one. You are doing a lot to help yourself which at times i know we all dont respond to. Well done and take care.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

Thanks Meg it is indeed 6gms no wonder the Department of Health didn't reply to me That seems an awful lot though. I can now happily start drinking my water again hooray. I have not got a clue as to why my sodium levels are high as I don't consume anywhere remotely near 6gms a day. I assumed increased sodium levels were due to diet and hence why I figured it must be the water. Anyway it isn't the water thanks to detective Meg for finding that out, you really are brilliant Meg thanks

Even though I look a complete buffoon I am glad Meg you cleared that up for me, many thanks

Just shows the old brain is still looking for witches in the wardrobe despite all the work to get my head a little straighter.

Hi,

So what is your blood sodium level David ?

This just demonstrates beautifully one of the benefits of a forum like this. A place to share your worries and let others help you out a bit.

Noone said anyone had to do it alone but we do need to reach out and share the issue. So good on you David...

Its a very easy mistake to make. I'm used to mgs, gms cos of drug doses and working in critical care we had to do lots of workings out ...

Meg
    www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
    You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Hi

I panicked on first reading this as I drink gallons of tap water every day, always have done, thanks for the info Meg.

Welldone David on doing so many positive things to help yourself

Take care

Elaine x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information