Thread: NHS counselling

NHS counselling

Hi folks,

I've just had my first session tonight with a counsellor recommended to me by my GP and it seems like it could be a godsend. He understood everything I told him about my past problems and when they originated and he's sending me CD's to help. The analogies he uses to help me understand how to deal with panicky situations are really good.

He told me my panic attacks probably wouldn't be helped too much with merely CBT alone as they seem more deep rooted (well I have had them for about 14/15 years!), yet I could overcome the problem in a matter of a few sessions.

It's hard to believe that all my fears of indoor open spaces (i.e. train stations / hospital corridors), heights, classroom situations, driving on motorways etc could be solved in a few weeks time after 15 years of trying to cope...

If he can get me back to a normal life I think I am going to buy this man a drink in the local pub every day for the rest of his life!
    Exciting times!!!!!

Re: NHS counselling

Hi Tony, please keep me informed how it goes. I'd love to know if it really helps. Thanks SJ

Hey Tony

Glad to hear counselling is such a positive move for you

Counselling was the best thing I ever did, its allowed me to unravel deep-rooted feelings and to just talk about them and cry about them without fear of getting on my counsellor's nerves

Let us know how you get on.

Jo xxxxx
    If I could speak words of water,
    You would drown when I said
    "I love you."

Hi Tony,

Can I just say that I love how positive you feel about this....its great.

I had my first CBT session yesterday and I came away feeling very negative, I tried hard not to, I think I maybe expected a quick miracle which is not going to happen. My main issue apart from the palps is the fear of enclosed spaces and I have flown before but I hate it and as my claustrapobia etc has got worse Im so worried about a flight I have to do next month.

The therapist was nice and listened to me however I seem to get the impression we are going to focus on relaxation etc and mind over matter which Im sure I have tried countless times myself....see here I am again..negatvie.

You need to let me know how you get on and Im hoping that your positivness will rub off on me!!!!!!

Shaz x

Hi Tony,

Congratulations on your progress!

Long may it continue.
    Best wishes,
    Chalky

Hi Tony
    Well it sounds like you have found a great counsillor(don't know if I have spelt that right but nevermind), keep us posted on your progress.
    love Mags xxxxx

hi Tony,

delighted to hear you have found a therapist thats right for you.Its great.

best of luck,

bet x

Alright tony, good luck with that mate hope it works...
    How did you get the doctor to refer you to the counsellor?

Hi Tony

Lovely to hear about the positive steps regarding the NHS councilling.

I had NHS councilling too and didnt expect to be cured in such a short time especially after suffering with agorophobia after 12 years, but it really helped me on that road to recovery and opened many doors to things i never thought i would ever achieve.

What helped me also Tony was to take a blank tape and recorder with me and record the sessions as its quite easy to forget all that was said, maybe a good idea to ask if you can do that too. i had my CBT a few years ago now, but i often get the tapes out and listen to them when im feeling i wont be able to cope, and it really helps.

So stick with it my friend, im sure the CBT can help you too

keep us posted on how things go

Andrea
    xxxxxx
    Last edited by honeybee3939; 10-02-08 at 00:49.

Hiya Tony

I'm seeing a counsellor too but he works for my college, my second session starts in 3 hours! Let us know how it goes, maybe we can swap experiences?

It's great to hear that it works very well for you, it's great to just spill your throughts so somebody and not care what they think about you.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Thread Information