Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey! (Delrealization/Depersonalization help)

Hey! (Delrealization/Depersonalization help)

First post! (Hope you all are nice!)

So I'm a senior in High School and developed DR/DP after, yes, smoking the herb. I have been going through it, for what seams like, 24/7 for 2 months now.

I read another board and it said something about people lasting 50 years with this suffering!!! God help me! hah.

So anyway, Ive decided to stop smoke, duh! but now everytime someone smokes near me, I see weed, or I think about it, I get REALLY tired and my Anxiety freaks on me! Why? (stupid question?)
    Also, with graduation coming up, is it prolly not a good idea to drink at all? (Mind that, if I did drink, it would be the first time ever. Im a pretty good kid, see? )

I just want to know more in general about my anxiety and what I can do for it (will it last 50 years on me??)
    I do see a doc but Id love to hear from you all haha.

Thanks guys and Ill update you all when more happens!
    Joe
    (Oh and I dont want to take meds! Call me crazy? haha)
    Last edited by JoeK1; 06-02-08 at 20:37.

Re: Hey! (Delrealization/Depersonalization help)

Hey Joe, welcome to NMP

Its good that you stopped smoking weed, especially if its making your anxiety worse.

I think the reason you might be getting anxious if someone smokes it near you is because you have associated anxious feelings with weed and therefore if you are faced with it, it provokes these feelings.

As for drinking, alcohol is a depressant and most people on here will tell you that the morning after, when suffering with a hangover, their anxiety is worse. So while drinking isnt a no-no, its best to be mindful of how much you drink

Jo xxxxx
    If I could speak words of water,
    You would drown when I said
    "I love you."

Quote Originally Posted by Lilith1980 View Post

Its good that you stopped smoking weed, especially if its making your anxiety worse.

I think the reason you might be getting anxious if someone smokes it near you is because you have associated anxious feelings with weed and therefore if you are faced with it, it provokes these feelings.
    Alright, we'll let's talk about a few things now.

Firstly, I really don't know what happened, but one random time I smoked (I dont know what I smoked, I didn't smoke often enough to think about it) I just had a panic attack and all of this 'stayed' with me. I guess, with time, it's gotten a little better. Some weeks worse than others though.

Also, my therapist says to go out! To do the things you regularly do and NOT be scared of them. Im sure he doesnt mean go out and SMOKE again. That wouldn't be smart, hehe. But more of a 'go to a place that you smoked' or a 'be around the drug' to help your brain rethink- Wait a second, this isn't scary...

IDK, I still havent gotten the confidence to do anything of the sort yet, haha. Maybe I'm misinterpreting?

Help?
    :P

Oh and I am also 18 and smoke cigars with my dad every now and then. I think that it almost wakes me up a little (because the DR/DP seams to tire me out ALOT). But Ive also heard that nicotine is very bad and can cause panic attacks in people with anxiety?
    Last edited by JoeK1; 06-02-08 at 20:42.

I cant speak for your therapist but I think by going out he means to face the things you fear as they will not harm you. The more you face the things you are frightened of, the quicker you will realise that they are not worth worrying about.

If you havent got the confidence yet then try doing one thing you fear each week or each fortnight. If you push yourself too hard, you will stress yourself even more.

Yes, nicotine isnt good for you, but you know that anyway! But it doesnt actually relax you, it makes your nerves worse. I think nicotine is a very psychological drug - its more addictive than heroin. You think you enjoy it but you dont, you think it relaxes you but it makes your nerves worse. My Dad was a heavy smoker and his hands would shake like he was coming off the booze!

I think the over all message is to look after your body, eat nutritious food, try not to drink too much, and try not to smoke.

All the fun things eh?!

Jo

xxxxx
    "I love you."

Haha, rightttt.

Yeah, I deff need to clean myself up a little. But 2 quickies:

1- How long does DP/DR usually last with a physically healthy person?

2- What can I do to help get by?

*Again, I see my doc with this new term (Derealization/Pepersonalization) in a few days... Just want to bring some stuff up!

Thanks!

hi joe

i dont know how much help im gonna be, but i will say....i smokedthat stuff for years and quit 2 years ago, and am so glad i did, my only regret that i didnt quit sooner....it ended up really doing my head in....so im really glad you dont smoke now....youve made the right choice, also, for it to affect you so badly so quicky means its really not for you.

any type of cigarettes are whats called uppers...niccotine stimulates your heart and will totally make anxiety problems worse....amoungst all the other bad things it does to your body.....

i know it might be a bummer to miss out on all the fun at your age, but trust me, your not missing out at all...in fact your going to have good memories of being able to go to partyswithout the need for that stuff.

as for lengh of time to heal..i dont know, but your doctor might. good luck with it all.

Hi Joe

I guess DP/DR varies in person to person. I experienced it more when I had my eating disorder combined with anxiety. I think this was the combination of being undernourished and stressed.

Since I took control of my eating, I havent had so many episodes. But I found that I kind of just let them happen. The first few times they happened it was quite unnerving, but after that I just learned that they would pass and they wouldnt harm me.

Jo xxxxx
    "I love you."

Hey again!

I notice that when my episodes come and go (and they feel like they are coming 24/7) I get tired and yawn. Is this the depression side or is DR/DP actually a form of Anxiety that tires you out?

Thanks again,
    Joe

Hi Joe

I think DR/DP is a symptom of anxiety, a symptom of a tired mind.

When our mind finds it hard to process things (if we are anxious our minds tend to work overtime) I've read that parts of the brain kind of "shut down" temporarily.

I've read that DP/DR is the brain just taking some down-time from all the anxious thoughts.

The body's an amazing thing - if it feels threatened it will do what it can to protect itself.

Jo xxxxx
    "I love you."

Alright, we'll let's talk about a few things now.

Firstly, I really don't know what happened, but one random time I smoked (I dont know what I smoked, I didn't smoke often enough to think about it) I just had a panic attack and all of this 'stayed' with me. I guess, with time, it's gotten a little better. Some weeks worse than others though.

Also, my therapist says to go out! To do the things you regularly do and NOT be scared of them. Im sure he doesnt mean go out and SMOKE again. That wouldn't be smart, hehe. But more of a 'go to a place that you smoked' or a 'be around the drug' to help your brain rethink- Wait a second, this isn't scary...

IDK, I still havent gotten the confidence to do anything of the sort yet, haha. Maybe I'm misinterpreting?

Help?
    :P

Oh and I am also 18 and smoke cigars with my dad every now and then. I think that it almost wakes me up a little (because the DR/DP seams to tire me out ALOT). But Ive also heard that nicotine is very bad and can cause panic attacks in people with anxiety?
    WOW This is exactly what happened me, I had smoked weed before and never had any problems, then one time after smoking some different type stuff BANG!! I had my first panic attack and I have never felt fear like it. That started my whole anxiety problem and 10 years later its still here. As for DR/DP I suffered this also 2 bursts last 6 months each and it was a nightmare. I had it 24/7 and it felt almost like being in a dream. It eventually went away on its own accord though.

Good luck mate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information