Thread: waves of unsteadiness

waves of unsteadiness

I have been going through a bad time lately when my relative has just passed away. I feel like I am in a dream world at the moment I am forgetting things and days just blend together. I find it hard to remember what has happened day to day. I have been waking up in the middle of the night and finding it impossible to get back to sleep also and so I have had a number of 4 hour sleeps to date.Today I felt especially anxious and I tried to take my mind off it by working when I sat down on my stool I felt a sudden wave over my head which made me feel quiet unsteady as if I could pass out if it happened agaim. I quickly changed what I was doing and tried to take my mind off the situation just in case it was anxiety. I still felt like someone was pressing around my head as if I was under water and at the bottom of a large swimming pool. My ears also felt as if they were blocked and felt pressured again like the pool analogy. I felt unsteady as if I should find somewhere to liedown but I did not I futher occupied myself and slowly the symptoms realeased there grip. I have been examining what happens when I feel unsteady and it seems to be my unnoticible shallow chest breathing. I have to say I generally breath very shallow breaths as to protect my body from movements. I am finding it very hard to conciously get the proper breathing technique back. I have a tight band feeling on my forehead when the shallow breathing occurs.

Can anyone offer me any advise?

Mee

Re: waves of unsteadiness

Hi Mee,

so sorry to hear the news of your relative.I get symptoms very similar to yours when my blood pressure gets very low.I have low blood pressure at the best of times.

Do you have any problems with your sinuses or ears?

problems with either can contribute to these symptoms also.

bet x

Hi Mee,

I cant offer any advise, only to say I can TOTALLY relate to how you feel at the moment. I lost my uncle in November which was a shock and my Grandma only 3 weeks ago...it feels like a struggle to sleep, to get up and just generally do anything...I become completely detached and more often then not have many panic/anxiety attacks through out the day and when trying to get much needed sleep.

Hope you're okay, please realise youre not on your own and I'm very sorry to hear about your relative.
    x

Hello Mee,

I'm Very sorry to hear your sad news.

When something like this happens it can really shake and upset us as I'm sure it has you. I think you're suffering panic due to the shock to the system. Not getting any good sleep will also add to your anxiety symptoms because over tiredness will affect you in lots of ways.

Have you seen your doctor about how you're feeling? Sometimes we just need something short term just to get through us bad times. If you'd rather not take anything, keep focusing on deep breathing and try not to dwell on your thoughts too much.

I know you're going through a bad time at present but time often heals as we come to terms with events.

Take care.

Hi Mee

Sorry to hear you news hun.

I do agree that you should try and concentrate on deep breathing because this will naturally relax you. It will also allow more oxygen to your brain which may help the feelings you are experiencing.

This must be a hard time for you and I'm sure a lot of people on here can relate to losing someone close to us who we cared for, so please keep posting if you need to talk hun.

Jo xxxxx
    If I could speak words of water,
    You would drown when I said
    "I love you."

hi mee, i have only suffered one bereavement but it has affected me ever since and for more than a month afterwards i felt like i was in a dream, i think its a common reaction? i mentioned it to my sister when she returned home after a couple of weeks (to my home, as she lives in another part of the country) and she said she felt exactly the same. i think its depersonalisation/derealisation maybe? which actually is your mind trying to protect you, so its not a bad thing, but it is scary and uncomfortable? it cant hurt you and it will go - try to relax, try to deep breathe and try to do things that take your mind off how you are feeling and make you feel better, this can be hard because it could be doing new things which when your feeling like this is hard to do! but you could go swimming or an exercise class where there are other ppl or to bingo or bowling etc etc things that you have to actively engage in i find help, or going for a very brisk long walk can help too, also trying to find a really engaging book? but it will pass at the end of the day even if you do nothing at all take care emma

Hi Mee,
    I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, this must be a hard time for you - I hope we can help! Firstly, I think everyone experiences the dream-like feeling when someone close to them passes away. It's a lot for your mind to take in and is nothing to worry about. Secondly, are you eating well? When you get a shock like this it's not unusual to stop eating as well as sleeping. So going to work coupled with little sleep and energy from food is likely to make you feel weak and unsteady. Can you get any time off work to recooperate?
    Let us know how you're getting on, best wishes xx

Thanks

For the reassurance. I have managed to get some better sleep by going to bed much earlier. I still wake up at the same time give or take an hour but as I have gone to bed earlier I am getting a better nights sleep. Some days are better than others. I just cant think of anything but the way I feel at the moment.

As you say it will get better with time that assuming nothing else bad happens.

Take care

Mee

Thread Information