Thread: Medication - weight gain?

Medication - weight gain?

Hi all,

I feel that I've reached a real low point lately and I need something to help bring me back up so I can deal with various issues. My head is so cluttered and I'm finding it harder to cope with even little things. The slightest bit of stress is causing me to spiral down in a "everything is hopeless" mindset.

I am terrified of weight gain on meds though. I know this sounds vain but I had bullimia up until 18 months ago and I would hate to put on weight as I fear this would trigger my bullimia again.

Do meds slow your metabolism down - is that why people put on weight? Or do some cause your appetite to increase and that's why people gain weight - because they eat more?

I feel pretty desperate to be put on meds to be honest but this is holding me back as it worries me a lot, as I know it would add to my anxiety

Thanks

Jo xxxxx
    If I could speak words of water,
    You would drown when I said
    "I love you."

Re: Medication - weight gain?

Hi Jo
    You are right that some meds to cause weight again.2 that as far as I no are Seroxate/paroxatine and Venlofaxine.I hope this helps.
    Yours Dawn

I took Mirtazipine and put on 2 stone in a month . I never put weight on before i took meds and as soon as i stopped it all came off again. So i would stay clear of mirtazipine .
    Im on Cipralex now and ive lost weight so im pleased to stay on it.
    Hope that helps a little ?

Soggypops
    x

Jo,

Some meds can cause weight gain as others have indicated. I don't now why they do this. However, when the mood is low and we are suffering anx our appetites suffer, as the mood lifts then we eat more. I personally had a craving for sweet stuff with Duloxetine but I could have been stricter with myself and stuck to a healthier diet - it was just laziness on my part that I didn't.

From the way you are describing how you feel I reckon you do need something to help you right now and you have made a decision that you want meds and actually that's good.

Speak to your doctor and tell him about the bulimia (he may already know) - he will understand how important it is to you psychologically that you do not gain too much weight on a med - he should then find a m edication for you which does not have this side effect.

Good luck Jo.xx Don't suffer sweetiexx

Hi Jo,

I think Yvonne has answered this really well.
    I was on Seroxat then Effexor for many years.
    When I stopped the Meds,I lost 3 stone.My appetite did change-post Meds- but I also was doing a lot more exercise.
    You know your body best.If a Med is proving unsuitable,there is nothing to stop you asking for it to be changed.
    Best wishes,
    Chalky

Thread Information