Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having a hard time cutting out caffeine

Having a hard time cutting out caffeine

I know it is recommended that sufferers either cut out caffeine completely or cut back on it. I feel that I must have my two large cups of coffee in the morning to wake up. Sometimes I feel that I have to have more in the afternoon to keep going.

To make matters worse, I love coffee and I know I'm addicted to it. If I cut it out cold turkey, I will get horrible headaches.

I've tried green tea and it just tastes terrible.

Any advice?

im with you on this one i get massive headaches and cant function so now i have taken toi alternating de caff with normal coffee to wean my self off

fan x

Hi I used to ad still do drink gallons of tea and coffee none stop. not working so drink cup after cup until i got to feel sick of to much but keep drinking lol. So what i did was mic half coffee and half decaf in a jar. that worked i also mixed normal and decaf tea bags in a jar so i didnt know at first if i was drinking decaf or normal tea. I did this for a few weeks and then started to add more and more decaf to the coffee jar till i was on full decaf tea and coffee. I still drink the same amount of tea and coffee but at last its all decaf. Hope this helps a bit. good luck. Vernon

thanks for that vern will try it

fan x

Hi,

For some caffiene addicts it would be seriously unadvisable to stop cold turkey.

Vernons suggestions are superb, if you are still symptomatic you might need to do 75% coffee . 25% decaf to start with and wean it down.

Let us know how it goes..... Good luck with it .

Meg
    www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
    You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Great advice from Vern and Meg - just adding my ha'peth - I cut out caffeine totally a few years ago. I went cold turkey and I'm not kidding when I say I had the most blinding bl**dy headache for about 4-5 days. It was bad.

I've recently cut-back again and doing it gradually is definitely the way to go! Another thing I'm doing is having some fruit cordial type stuff with hot water (it's not a herbal tea, I hate them!) and that helps.. sometimes, having a hot drink is what I want (and it's something to do for 5 minutes too)

Good luck with it and I hope you can find something that works for you.

J

Hi all

I stopped about 4-5 years ago and don't remember any problems. I guess we are all different.

We have something over here called "half caf" which is low caffeing coffee but not completely de-caff. Do you have anything similar over there?

Nicola

Nicola,
    We do have that half caff stuff here, but I don't want to deprive hubby of his full caff coffee. I think I will just make less to begin with so I won't be tempted to drink it when it's just sitting there.
    Thanks, everyone!

have started mixing the half and half like vernon suggested so will see how it goes for me

typhoo do fruit tea is this still as bad as normal tea?

fan x

I'm terrible for caffeine i'm afraid. I only drink tea can't stand coffee but i can quite easily drink 8 cups a day and everytime i try and cut down to say half that amount i suffer with major headaches. Might try mixing half de caff
    Tracy
    x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information