Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disassociation

Disassociation

In the book 'Power over Panic' I have read that DP/DR is a form of disassociation. The book goes on to say that some people are capable of doing this where as others cant.

It says that it is similar to putting yourself into a trance like state.

Now I am totally confused. Why would your mind do this if its so scary.

How come some people can do it and others cant?

Im scared now. Will I go into a trance and not come out again.

Why does this feeling scare me so much.

Can anyone shed any light on this subject.

Today I have felt so stuck in my thoughts and I know that its because Im scared and panicky. But why is my brain doing this.

Jude x

Hi Jude

I think our brains do this because we torture ourselves.. any bit of information can get into the mind and be twisted, magnified and processed in all kinds of ways... I'm pretty sure Meg (and others) have said DP/DR is your brain's way of coping with too much stress, it just kind of 'wigs out' for a while and that's why things feel so weird.. I don't think you'll go into a trance and even if you do you won't stay in it forever.. DP/DR was a big problem for me and I still get it occasionally but not so bad or for as long as I did..

Jude, don't think about it.. dwelling on stuff makes it seem worse and sometimes too much information is a bad thing.. treat the condition in a simplistic way if it helps.. if something stops you feeling bad, keep doing it, if something makes you feel bad - stop doing it.. basic stuff I know but I also know what we panickers can be like.. we dwell on the maybes and need to stay in the present, not the future (where most anxiety lies)

I know you're having a tough few days but you'll come through it. Stop the cyclical thinking and take your mind off anything that's causing you grief/anxiety.

You'll beat it

J

Right now dissociation a big problem for me too. I've had anxiety problems for 7 months, but the DP and DR started a couple of days ago. It's a horrible experience, but I'm trying not to freak out.

These feelings are so scary because it seems that you're losing control. But actually you are not. It's just that your brain needs to take a rest from all the anxiety and stress. It's a completely natural defense mechanism. When you panick because of the DP and DR, you only create more stress, and the brain needs to defend itself even more. The result is that the DP and DR feelings become even stronger. It's a vicious circle. DP/DR itself is not scary. Our reaction to it is.

If your brain needs to slow down for a while, that's fine. Your brain would NEVER do anything that is bad for you. You are designed to survive, to be healthy and happy. Every single cell in your body works for you 24/7. Listen to your body because it knows what is best for you. If it shows that you need to slow down, then slow down. Don't panick over it. Focus on the things that make you feel good. Maybe right now you are not feeling great, but that's ok, it's just temporary. Don't worry. I'm sure we're gonna be alright

I know that I am capable of doing this to myself and I have a tendency towards it.
    I don't know if it's the same thing as the d/p or d/r that comes along with anxiety, but I would imagine that a person who has the ability to make themselves "trance out" would be more susceptible to this.
    Jude - maybe you need to stop reading stuff like this... just a thought.
    (hugs)

eta: indie has some great advice about not freaking out about it. It only makes it last longer and feel worse.

Hi Fan,

**I have read that DP/DR is a form of disassociation** Yes agree with this ...

Is the book saying you can choose to go into that state or that, with letting yourself go into full blown panic mode you know that this can be a byproduct.

What is true is that as you learn to manage and overcome anxiety/panic it dissipates and just as many of the panic symptoms it doesn't harm you at all.

Meg
    www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
    You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Meg,

The book says that the diassociation causes the panic.

Apparently we disassociate first and then panic because we dont like the feeling.
    This doesnt make any sense to me. Why would my brain suddenly start doing this for no reason.

My worst feeling is being stuck inside my head and body. Yes this is terrifying and makes me panic, but surely this has been caused by the panic, not causing the panic originally.
    I do know that the more I think about it, the worse it gets, but thats because I start to panic.
    Its very confusing.
    Jude x

jude, what you say makes sense and it has happened to me this way.
    I think maybe what you need to do is not even think about it because it causes you dwell on it unnecessarily.

Not always at all..

I think that can happen but its not one size fits all.

I remember mine as if it were yesterday . I had the panic attack and then diassociated as I remember very clearly the heart symptoms and needing the loo urgently and I was not disassociated , then it washed over me and I spent quite some time going through the body systems trying to figure out what was going on.
    Later on by a few months then disassocating did cause 1 panic I can remember but it was that I was about to hold a consultanst meeting and was worried I'd forget it all and look a **** and forget who I was etc

Meg
    You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Thats how it was with me too Meg.

I remember I was visiting my parents in Anglesey when it started, last August.

My hubby was at home because we stay in a touring caravan which he cant use (hes in a wheelchair)

My neighbour and so called friend sent me some text messages telling me that her boyfriend and my hubby had been to the pub the night before and my hubby had been kissing another woman.

I was stuck over in Anglesey with the four kids in a tiny caravan and worrying what the hell he had been doing.

I had my first panic attacks there (non stop all weekend). Just physical symptoms, no DP.

This is why I couldnt understand the book. If depersonalisation was causing the PAs, then surely it would have started like that!

Jude x

Jude , there are lots of books on the market.

Each is often one persons conclusions of usually only their own experience or for some 'so called experts' their understanding based on of lots of other peoples experiences..and as we know just from this forum we all have a different set of experiences with symptoms in different order , different fears etc . This is not a one size fits all disorder

It doesn't mean any books are 100% correct and its ok to disagree with bits and I sometimes disagree with huge chunks after some reflection. The better ones allow for alternative experiences - beware the ones that dictate, judge or are so up themselves and markey their material as having found 'the secret '. It's total BS.

Claire Weeks series has stood the test of time more than any other in 30 years.

Put this out of your mind and get on with what you were doing so well before you went off searching for DP stuff.
    The majority of people find that all DP goes as you improve. It comes and goes and then goes ..
    I had it fulltime for weeks , intermittantly for months and none now for years.

Meg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information