Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thyroid

Thyroid

Have many people on here been tested to check there thyroid function, could anyone tell me how this is tested.

Not had this done myself yet but next time i see my gp im going to ask if i can have it checked, i am overweight not eating nowere near as much as i used to eat (lost apetite) weight still staying the same, also recently have dry flaky skin all the time on my face and tired alot.

Re: Thyroid

thyroid function is done by a simple blood test,easy as that

Joy

Hi there,

You know.. I can't say enough times, for those people who are feeling this way and are also feeling depressed to ask for a Thyroid Test to be taken.

I have Bi-Polar but, beforehand I was sick with Hypothyroidism. I didn't know about this and I felt so terrible all the time, I couldn't understand why.

Many times I mentioned how I was feeling to my GP and still anti-d's were always handed over, until I looked up about the Thyroid and am so glad I did, because I then asked for a blood test and my test came back as Under.

I am now taking Levothyroxine and need a blood test every year to make sure the balance is all ok.

Hope you're able to get things sorted and feel better soon. x

hi jason,u definately need ur thoroid tested,its done by a blood test,my hubby has underactive thoroid & has been on meds 4 a while,now his body is used 2 them & his symptoms have come back~ loss of appitite,hot & cold flushes,palpatations,throat problems,dry itchy patches,so now hes waiting 4 an iodine tablet that is just a 1 off tablet 2 burn away part of his thoroid gland,so get it checked just 2 illiminate possibilities,hope u get on ok at gpxxxxleisa

Hi Jason,

I agree with the others. I too have an underactive thyroid and have many many symptoms. I have been taking meds to control mine for at least 13 years. One symptom for me is anxiety plus a foggy brain. I have to have blood tests done every 3 months for my thyroid. Good luck and let us know how your tests go.

Hugs,

Laura
    Last edited by Southern_Belle; 19-02-08 at 00:43.

Thanks everyone will definately push my gp to send me for a test, is it unusual for men to have problems with there thyroid, i also have problems with my neck frequently do you think this could be all related.

I am a volunteer advisor for a thyroid support group so know lots as you can imagine. Thyroid problems are much less common in men than in women which makes it much more likely to be missed.

Its a simple one off blood test to check your thryoid function - do ask you Dr for the results don't accept the oh its normal answer. Find out where your results are in the normal range as if its borderline hypothyroid then you can discuss with your Dr trying a very low dose of thyroxine closely monitered to see if your symptoms improve. the problem with thryoid tests is if you are bordeline as no one knows what anyones normal is, the range of normal is big so if you are at one end or the other this may be abnormal for you.

If you get a def abnormal result then its just a case of taking a little tablet for rest of your life - you usually start off with a low dose building up to req dose over a few months and you need to get it checked at least every 6 months.

Good luck push for the test then at least you will know one way or the other.

hi jason i had thyroid test its simple blood test mine came bk underactive i had it checked cuz i was anxious and depressed doc did test cuz thyroid can cause depresion and anxiety and now im on thyroxine i feel much better its worth geting it checked tc yes xxx

Hi Jason,
    I was diagnosed with a overactive thyroid several years ago.
    I went to the doctors because of palpitations and he did a blood test and discovered my thyroid was very overactive which explained alot of the symptoms that i was getting. I had put it all down to anxiety, so if i were you i would definately have a blood test done.
    Good luck
    Helen

Hi all,

I eventually got my thyroid checked after i had my 2nd daughter 12 years ago. It took me over a year to get the doctor to do a blood test after a friend suggested it as he said i didn't show any symptoms of an overactive thyroid eg; weight loss and that anxiety was not a symptom of underactive thyroid so i couldn't have that either. Well the results came back and surprise surprise i was right i was underactive and went on to 100mcgs a day later rising too 150, but he never once admitted he was wrong or said sorry for putting me through 12 months of worrying that i was going round the bend while he convinced me it was all in my mind. To add further insult to injury he never bothered telling me that once you are on thyroxine it is for life and you are excempt from all prescription charges. I am at a point now where for the last 12 months or so my anxiety has been getting slowly worse and like someone else posted your body may become used to it, but don't expect any help off the doctor, has anyone else had this happen and do you just need a higher dose of thyroxine. As countrygirl said nobody really knows what a normal range is and the doctors only go off the blood tests when deciding what dose to give, not the persons symptoms or weight for example.

Jacq x

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information