Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: petrified-blood test

petrified-blood test

i know there are prob many threads on here about this. i have read a few....still hasnt calmed me....i have to have a blood test in a few days.

doc has prescribed xanax which i am about to try and see how it will make me feel...i need to feel drugged out beyond my fear so ill be ok to go through with it.

i had a blood test 3 yrs ago and my whole body went into shock.

i know i need to have the test, but am so terrified..i know that the lead up is the worst...and this is exactly where i am now....

Re: petrified-blood test

See if they will let you take the test lying down....I have had to do that in the past....keep talking to the technician and always look away...keeps you from worrying about fainting....I used to get tunnel vision, sweaty palms, knotted stomach the whole bit for every blood test...yesterday I had my first blood test in 6 months and it was no problem...I have recently started Prozac 6 weeks ago...it is the first time I didn't feel nervous about the blood test and the only thing I can attribute it to is the Prozac.

Andy
    Last edited by coxwit; 21-02-08 at 18:12. Reason: add e-mail notification

Hi,
    I agree with Andy, explain how nervous you are and ask if you can lie down, this will help you relax.
    They would of dealt with lots of people feeling the way you do, so will know the best way to deal with it.
    I talk non stop when i am having it done and i look away.
    Its done in no time, the worse thing i find is waiting in the waiting room, i try and get there exactly on time so i am not waiting around too long but this does not always work if they are busy, so i take a book to try and distract myself.
    Hope everything goes ok
    Helen

hi ive got a blood test on tuesday i also hate them ive found talking to whos doing it all way through and not seeing what there doing really helps good luck x

I look away and wiggle my toes.try not to tense your body.

bet x

Hey Peach.

When you said your body went into shock, can you describe what you mean?

I think lying down is a good idea....and ask if you can remain lying for 5-10 minutes afterwards.

Make sure you have had a drink and something to eat beforehand so that your blood sugar isn't low. You might also find it helpful to have a glass of cold water to sip during the procedure.

You could try calling the surgery before to see if you can have some local anaesthetic cream. These work brilliantly and you can't feel the needle at all. They take about 30-45 minutes to work so need to be applied beforehand.

Plan a treat for when it's over - whatever you like.

Good luck and let us know how it goes,

xxx

hi everyone! thanks for your replys!!! means a lot to me.

i love all of your suggestions and will try them all!.

dying swan, your an angel!, i will totally ask for that cream......if i look away, and cant feel it, that will help so much more!....

doc says needle stays in arm only for like 3 mins, so i was thinking of counting down...lol.....

at the mo im trying not to think of it so i dont make the leadup awful for myself. i think i can control it till i head in there, so helenclaire, ill take your advice and call them and get a time, and head in at that exact time, so little waiting....

someone said the other day that when you have to have a few then you get better with it. i hope so. see, this is only like the 3rd one i have had so far..so as i get older, should become easier to deal with.....

i think my main fear, besides the pain, is going into a panic attack and ruining the procedure (so id have to go back again) and giving the nurse hell....i guess if im dosed up on xanax this will stop that..plus, 3 mins......surely too quick to affect before i start to crumble?

im starting to freak out about this. i know im being a baby....

this last week ive been feeling very tired, eye headache lasting whole week and basically just not feeling well....im terrified they might find something terrible in this blood test....doc told me she really thinks my prob is psychological not pysical, but how can it when i feel so tired, ill and a headache all week....so im scared something is wrong.....my throat feels sore-ish and weird and my heart has begun racing again. ive been feeling lightheaded and just plain off.....thus the blood test...should i trust my doc? what if she is wrong this time? so scared now....

sorry to be such a pain

Hi peach
    i have blood tests every week, i'm not affraid of them they are painless, BUT i know that won't ease your worry.
    When you go the nurse will have a lot of exp dealing with frightnened people so be totaly honest with them, tell her exactly how you feel and exactly how worried you are, talking about your fears will ease them, the neadle wont be in for 3 mins i'm sure, i think mines useualy in for about 60 seconds if that normaly it's out befor you have time to worry about it hunny, the build up is the worst thing for you i understand that but try to see it as something you must do to help yourself and no one else this is totaly for you, be brave and think what an acheivement this will be for YOU.
    Love Sharon

I usually have about 6 lots taken in one go and I would agree with the 60 seconds at most, I've never felt the needle go in yet .Make sure you take a bottle of water or something so you have plenty to drink after ,it'll help the blood levels come back quicker and as my tests are always after fasting I treat myself to a nice big pasty and a donought.
    Take care.
    Decca.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information