Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have agoraphobia?

Anyone have agoraphobia?

Hi everyone - I'm a new member.

I used to suffer quite badly from agoraphobia and panic attacks but luckily have pretty much managed to overcome it.

I'm now a freelance writer and I've just finished writing a book called Overcoming Agoraphobia with Sheldon Press - out in August.

I've also started a blog specifically for people with agoraphobia or panic attacks at www.overcomingagoraphobia.com

I hope that this will become a good resource for agoraphobocs - I'll be regularly updating it with articles on the latest treatments, research, lots of self-help tips, answering questions from readers etc...

Please feel free to take a look and leave a comment...

Melissa

Re: Anyone have agoraphobia?

Hi Melissa im very much looking forward to your book, please keep us informed as to when its out

Maybe there is hope out there !!!

I have agorophobia and look forward to the book. Tried the website but didn't find much there yet.

Hi melissa,

well done on overcoming the panic and agora.I'm sure your book will be a good read.congratulations.

Bet

Hi everyone- thanks for the replies.

There is definitely hope out there! If I can do it, anyone can. Though it did take me quite a while and I still get panic attacks from time to time. I don’t think you can eradicate it completely. But you can learn to control it and go where you want to go.

The book is out August – will be available on Amazon and Sheldon Press. Will keep you posted!

The blog is literally brand new – I’m going to be adding a lot of new articles over the coming weeks. Please save to your favourites and visit again!

If there’s anything you’re interested in reading about then let me know. I want the blog to be useful to people. I don’t want to be rabbiting on about stuff that no one is interested in!

6. Re: Anyone have agoraphobia?

Hi Melissa

I suffer from agoraphobia and you give me hope!
    I have just started CBT and worry it wont work and that theres no hope for me.
    Well done on overcoming your agoraphobia

http://mylifewithagoraphobia.blogspot.com/

i have this and social anxiety,

Ive spent the last 6 years in my house..........fun
    but ive pretty much had it all my life anyways so dunno why im worried i dont even know what im missing out on

Hi Melissa

Well I used to suffer from agoraphobia but I don't anymore. Now I can go anywhere I want, supermarkets, football match's, anywhere. How I overcome my acrophobia was to modify my response to acrophobia. Now the way I see the fight or flight reaction is basically that you have the option of either panicking (flight), or you get angry and fight - the same chemicals are in use, just used in a different way, depending on your choice. Now when athletes get nervous before a big race, what they tend to do is to 'psych' themselves up - they switch from the flight type anxiety to the fight type anger - you can actually see it in their face sometimes. You can use the same technique against a phobia, like acrophobia. When I first started overcoming my agoraphobia, and was ready to take the dog for a walk, I used to look like rocky, ready for a big fight lol. Well it was a fight to me. It was me against my agoraphobia. And do you know, as long as I kept that anger inside of me while taking the dog for a walk, I think i could of walked to lands end and back. You see, you can't be anxious and angry at the same time - it's like two ends of a seesaw. So next time anyone feels like panicking while out, get really angry and fight back.
    Last edited by Tom_M; 21-02-08 at 21:48. Reason: Spelling

Hi Rachael - I love your blog, I think it's a really good idea. I recommend keeping a diary, sometime's we think we're not making any progress and a diary or blog can remind us that actually we are getting better.

Good luck with CBT, it's not a magic cure and it probably won't cure you in couple of weeks. But it will give you the tools you need to overcome it. Stick at it and it will make a difference. I was about your age when I was housebound, I'm now nearly 30, I have a seven year old daughter, I can drive, go on holiday and wherever I want. I still get a bit panicky from time to time but I can talk myself round now. I know what triggers my anxiety and I listen to my positive thoughts more than my negative ones.

The key for me in overcoming agoraphobia was to realise that the only reason I felt safe at home in my bedroom was because I constantly told myself I was only safe there. I really believed I was only safe there, it wasn't even a conscious thought. Now I know that this feeling of 'safety' and being calm is inside me not in a room in my house. But changing your thoughts and beliefs takez time but you will get there. I honestly believe that with the right help, every single person can overcome this.

I'd like to link to your blog if you're hapopy for me to? It would be great if you could leave a comment on mine about your experiences and your progress.

Tom - that sounds an interesting way of overcoming your fears. I think we're all unique and we all need to find our own way to deal with these fears. Getting angry didn't work for me, although I did feel angry a lot! I found I had to learn how to relax and stay calm. But I'm glad this is working for you - I don't think it matters what technique you use - if you find one that works for you and it gets you outside then that's great.

Hi AceRImmer - you sound like you're not having a great time at the moment. What kind of help have you had access to? Is your GP supportive? If not get another one! Have you tried medication, any therapies?

I currently dont have access to any form of help, my anxiety is bad to the point where i cant even go to the docs even though its only 2mins walk away,
    i dont like the idea of counciling, never been comfy talking to people i dont know.
    So you could say im just roughing it out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information