Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Histamine and anxiety

Histamine and anxiety

Hi guys , Ive notised that if i take Benadryl anti histamine I feel calmer in myself . Been taking it the past 4 days and did ok , then today didnt take it and felt bad.
    So I been reearching it on the internet and there are lots of studies that say that high histamine in the body does cause anxiety.

One article i did read sounded very convincing .....
    http://books.google.com/books?id=Dke...uCmRsfWBmBV39s

Also , when I read Dinah Bradleys Hyperventalation syndrome book , she mentions that when we have an anxiety attack , our body releases Histamines .
    http://goldbaum.net/balance/Whats_Histamine.html

Re: Histamine and anxiety

Hi Mirry, i have read a few articles on this subject and it does sound very convincing, 1 off the articles i read suggested drinking a full glass of water when you feel anxious as it dampens down the histamine. Don't know if there is any truth in it or if it is just in the mind but it does help alleviate the symptoms somewhat, i drink a full glass before i leave the house now.

Jacq x

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

Antihistamines

Antihistamines are often sedating and so are sometimes used for the treatment of anxiety disorders; the sedation has a quick onset, and rapid relief from anxiety symptoms is observed. However, antihistamines have not been evaluated effectively for the treatment of anxiety disorders in controlled clinical trials.
    Histamine is a neurotransmitter that plays an important role in arousal. The arousing effect is mediated through the histamine H1 receptor and is attenuated by antihistamines. Antihistamines induce drowsiness, sedation and, in high dosages, impair psychomotor performance of complex tasks (Schwartz et al, 1991). Mild tolerance to the sedative effects may occur with long term use. The effects of antihistamines on the autonomic nervous system are mixed. They have anticholinergic properties, causing dry mouth, increased heart rate and decreased gastro intestinal activity. They have no direct effect on the muscular system (Hoehn-Saric, 1998). Antihistamines appear predominantly to affect hyperarousal. They decrease vigilance and hyper-alertness, but have little effect on psychic anxiety.
    Antihistamines have many potential side effects, including disturbed co-ordination, weakness, inability to concentrate, urinary frequency, palpitations and hypotension. In addition, their anticholinergic properties make them poor choices for patients taking other anticholinergic agents, such as TCAs, neuroleptics and anti-arrhythmic agents.
    Antihistamines have weaker anxiolytic effects than the BZDs, and effective dosages of antihistamines may produce marked adverse effects. However, they remain popular because they have no abuse potential. They have an immediate effect in relieving acute anxiety symptoms, and can be administered in single doses or as a longer term prescription.
    These traditional pharmacological agents have been used for many years now, despite their side effects and occasional lack of effect. However, they are all still considered useful and have distinct advantages for particular patients. Since neither antidepressants nor buspirone attenuate sympathetic functions (important in the treatment of anxiety disorders) a combination of these drugs with a BZD or a beta-blocker may be useful in patients who experience situational exacerbation of somatic symptoms of their anxiety (Hoehn-Saric, 1998), and who may also require a lower dose of the BZD (Hallstom et al, 1983). However, this practice is not recommended

Mirry - do you remember your previous post on this ....

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthr...ight=histamine

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Mirry my personal opinion is just that you felt the effects of the 'sedating' property of the antihistamine and cos you missed the dose you now feel more alert hence anxious. Please use wisely. I feel drugs have such potential to be abused for their 'effects' rather than what meant for! benydryl is for allergies, may i ask why you bought it?

Yeah i remember Nic , but Im trying it again and it certainly does take the edge of it all for me, so when i looked it up I can see it may help people with anxiety. In a book i have called Phobia 90% , it says that it can help some people. I will keep trying it and let you know how i get on .
    Sax,
    I am also taking it for my inner ear problems (RECOMMENDED BY MY AUDIOLOGIST) and my itchy scalp (dermatitis). It says it doesnt cause sedation , and so far it hasnt .

Can I just reiterate that you DO need to check before taking Benadryl.

I took it once and it reacted with blood pressure medication and I ended up at the local hospital with breathing problems.

You MUST check with the doctor that it is ok to take if you are on other medication.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thats true Nic , i asked because I am also on propranalol.

I don't know if I have high histamine in my blood - never been tested for it, but I know I have high histmine in regards to my skin - since if I scratch it, it becomes red easily (dermographism).

Lately I have experimented, taking extra vitamin C and magnesium/calcium and some quercetin, and do feel calmer. So I wonder if high histamine and anxiety can be related.

Quercetin apparently suppresses the release and/or production of the two primary inflammatory mediators - histamine and leukotrienes

Wether histamine is directly implicated in anxiety, indirectly implicated in anxiety, or unconnected to the point where antagonism of its receptors only brings relief due to the drowsiness induced is unclear. However there is an anxiolytic medication licenced to treat anxiety which works specifically via antagonism of histamine receptors. Search hydroxyzine. Hope to have been of help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information