Thread: A General Update : Thoughts Appreciated From All ....

A General Update : Thoughts Appreciated From All ....

Hi All,

I have not been on here for a few months so sorry about not catching up with you all. I hope you are all doing well.

OK, an update. My last (and only thank god - although it was pretty bad) panic attack was in August. Since then I have been on 20mg Citalopram and 20mg Simvastatin for my Cholestorol. I am happy to say both have worked well and my anxiety seems under control (apart from the odd tight head feeling) and my Cholestorol is 4.2 which the doc says is fine.

My only worry at the moment is my blood pressure. Since I was ill in August I have had it checked every 2 weeks or so and it seems to stay around the 155/96 mark even in the morning when checked at the surgery (around 9am). Before I was ill it was spot on around 140/82.

I am a smoker although I made the decision to give up 2 days ago and have been OK so far and I am overweight. When I say overweight I mean overweight, I am 33 years old, 5 foot 7 and 17 stone 4 pounds. I used to binge eat a lot and pick all the time due to family stress, work stress etc and over the years I have ballooned from being a healthy 13-14 stone to what I am now.

I am now making a conciensous effort to lose some weight by cutting out salt, walking instead of the bus to the station and eating more fruit and veg and cutting out a lot of bread and potatoes and saturated fats. Luckily I like my fruit and veg. For example today I have had yoghurt and apple for brekkie, chicken sani, low fat crisps and carrots for lunch and braising steak, vegetables and rice for dinner (no caffeine either)

My doc and nurse say I am too young to go on BP tablets so they want me to lose weight and give up smoking so I am going to try. My next BP test is on 4 March - only one week away so not sure how much of a difference it will make. I do not want to go on tablets, is my BP dangerous high or just a bit high?

What I am finding hard is since I was on my Citalopram I have not had alcohol apart from shandy (just one or 2 a week) so this means no drink, on a diet and no smoking - is this too much to take on in one go?

I feel I need one vice and I have none now and I am worried this will make me miserable. I also have a doc appointment on Friday - worth discussing this with him? I am hoping he will take me off my Citalopram as he said he will see how I am doing after the 6 months which is now up.

My BP is worrying me plus all the rest I am taking on with the stress I have at work/home. I would appreciate your thoughts on all of this.

Regards,
    MAT xx

Re: A General Update : Thoughts Appreciated From All ....

Hi matt.

Yu are doing brillliantly and seem to be attacking lots of different areas which is great but could add to the stress levels. Personally I wouldn't come off the citalopram just yet not while you are working so hard on the smoking and weight. I think the blood pressure needs to be kept an eye on but I would read the thread on blood pressure and this should put your mind at ease. I don't see what age has to do with being treated but then I'm not a doc. My bp has been high for 20mths even whilst on the tabs. Like yu I need to lose weight I am only 5' 3"" and weigh 16stone. Mine has been around the 160/95-100 level but only when I am at the docs. at home it is more like 135/85

I understand about the vice thing try and choose some other treat as a reward like new clothes or a massage whatever you enjoy. good luck

Hi Mat chap

Don't stress too much about your BP, although its on the high side, the docs know you are young enough to do something about it now. High BP does not suddenly make you ill overnight, it can take years to do damage, so the good news is you are aware of it and can do something about it.

Gl

Jaco

Well done Mat,

It seems to me that you won't have a problem giving up alcohol because you are nearly there now! I understand what you mean about giving up all your vices at once but just think of it as mind over matter. Think of all the benefits, how much better you will feel, and I'm sure you are worrying about your blood pressure, but in a few month's time it will probably all be back to normal and you will be tons healthier and feel better about yourself.

Good luck and best wishes for the future.

Les

Hi Mat,

Being off the cigs will lower your BP.
    Losing weight will lower your BP.
    Dealing with your anxiety issues may help lower your BP.
    High blood pressure is an issue when left untreated-that is not the case here.
    best wishes,
    Chalky

Thank you for your replies.

I am now coming up to day 3 off the fags and already I am feeling better - clearer nose and breathing and not smelling!

Just as I feel I am getting my actr together something happens. Had a call today to say my lease on the place I rent is not being renewed so I have to move out as the owner is selling. I have 2 months to find somewhere new now. Last time the stress of this happened I ate more, smoked more and my BP went up.

I am trying not to worry about it though - it will not achieve anything!

I need to first of all think about my health, that is what counts I guess! My treat this weekend is fish and chips after football, I think I deserve it don't you? Been really good with no fags and eating well the last few days

Hi all, just a quick update.

Still not smoking and eating healthy! All good. Starting to get some withdrawal cravings but generally OK.

As I said earlier, I am moving again (when I find somewhere) for the second time in a year (bloody landlords) and in addition to this trying to give up smoking, dieting and seeing the doc to come off of my Citalopram (hopefully) tomorrow (or reduce dose)

Am I taking too much on with the stress of moving and coming off the anti depressants as well as dieting and not smoking? Should I mention this all to my doc to get his advice? My worry is getting a panic attack again (through stress) and not being on the medication but I also feel I need to try and cope with all of this from willpower and self help.

My life seems so complicated as my BP is still a bit higher than it should be but as soon as I address this my getting healthier another majot turn in my life (parents health and moving) comes out of the woodwork.

I am struggling at the moment and get jealous at friends with EASY lives, settled in property they own, having money, no health problems, no family problems etc.

Any help out there for me? I gave up counselling after 10 sessions (it really helped) as she said to me I was much better and coping, now it seems it is all starting again.

Hi Mat,

It is very important that you let your Doctor know about all the things you are doing.
    I was coming off Meds when my mother was in the final stages of a terminal illness.My gp insisted that i maintain a meds regime until she did pass away.Looking back,this was excellent advice.
    i am very impressed by your determination to succeed.
    keep up the good work.
    best wishes,
    Chalky

Hi everyone,

Well I am looking forward to chilling this weekend and treating myself to a takeaway. I have lost 5lb weight this week and have just got back from the doctor who said that even though I am having my BP checked next week he would check it now to see how I am doing.

Last time it was 155/96 - a little bit on the high side. Tonight I was even more shocked, rushing from work, stress of moving coming up (when I find somewhere) and loads more general stresses so obviously I was worried what the doc would tell me .... guess what? It has gone DOWN and is now pretty good, 136/86 - I am very pleased and feel less anxious.

The doc said I should stay on my Citalopram for a few more months with the stress I am under so I took his advice. He said I could miss a dose, have a few drinks if I wanted then take again after missing a day out again. I think I will do that as it has been ages and I want a beer with my mates for the first time in 6 months!

I also asked the doc about the effects of Citalopram and alcohol. He said it is ADVISABLE not to drink on them but NOT dangerous. All that happens is they make you feel drowsy if mixed but obviously do not go OTT on the alcohol.

Mat xx

Thread Information