Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone panic trying to relax?

Does anyone panic trying to relax?

I know this sounds a bit bizarre but I try with relaxation cd's etc and everytime I do as soon as I feel a bit of relaxation creep in I guess because my bodily sensations change I get an instant hit of panic and can't focus on relaxation only on panic which of course escalates it.

Am I making sense???

Re: Does anyone panic trying to relax?

Hi Devon Guy,

You are making perfect sense!!
    I found that when I started to practise relaxation breathing,my anxiety went skywards.I have come to see that our bodies and minds are very set in their ways.They are hyper-sensitive to change-even good change.
    Staying focused,calm and relaxed,being determined to bring about these changes,will lead to better health.
    Best wishes,
    Chalky

I know exactly how you feel. I was at a pilates class the other day and the instructor decided to do some impromptu 'relaxation'. I just couldnt lie on my back and close my eyes coz I started to panic when I did, so I had to sit up while all the class were lying down 'relaxing'. Shame innit.

Here is what I did to beat my panic attacks and this used to happen when I tried to relax as well...

I just laid back relaxed as best I could and let my body panic....

That was one of the first steps in my recovery because the panic was there for maybe the entire hour..but then it just disappeared and I felt better...

Can't explain it other than I just relaxed and let the panic strike as hard as it could..and boy did it!!

But i haven't had a panic attack that severe since..

When I relax, quite often the first thing that happens is a rush of tension. But I use the Buddhist technique of acknowledging the tension, and drawing my attention gently back to my breathing. That seems to work. I only wish I could be as relaxed the rest of the time as I am during my meditation exercises.

Im glad i found this post.I have had a severe case of anxxiety and have just started to believe thats what im dealing with, ive just started yoga to try and help me and its great when im doing it but as soon as i finish i panic which for me is a total loss of energy or major muscle jolts.

reading this helps keep me motivated as im not a very patient person and expect results immediately when i need to be more realistic and that recovery and my body accepting relaxation will take time

I got this too!

I started listening to a relaxation CD a few weeks ago and when it asked me to concentrate on my breathing and to breath slowly and deeply, I almost started hyperventilating!!

Very weird lol

Jo xxxxx
    If I could speak words of water,
    You would drown when I said
    "I love you."

hmmmm yes i totally get this...when i attempt breathing exercises or meditation with soft music, i end up winding myself into more of a knot than i was in to begin with!
    I think its because i'm nervous about having to try to relax in the first place...

but that sounds ridiculous when you read it!

yes me too.

Especially trying to concentrate on slowing my breathing down, I start hyperventilating and start feeling like I am gonna choke to death!!

I got a relaxation cd Paul Mckenna I think, and he blurbed on about how wonderful I should be feeling at the end. By the end I was in status neuroticus!! more tense and crying etc, since then I have never listened to another relaxation cd.

Freaky

Oh I'm glad it's not just me! Whenever I've been in a situation where I've been told to 'concentrate on my breathing' (anything from a yoga class to baby massage or whatever) I find it quite distressing - I really don't want to be conscious of my breathing, thanks very much, I like it to happen without me thinking about it! As soon as I start to be aware of it I feel as though it will stop happening on its own and I have to keep thinking about it otherwise my body will forget to do it next time!
    C.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information