Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is 5mg Cipralex too low for anxiety

Is 5mg Cipralex too low for anxiety

I was just wondering whether 5mg is too low for anxiety?........

The thing is i was on 10mg but i started feeling abit more anxious on that, i should never have allowed the GP to lower it to 5mg, but because i started feeling weird at on 10mg i thought it might be a good idea to drop to 5mg and i did what the GP told me.

I was on 10mg for 3 and a half years, i was wondering whether it would be a good idea to maybe get the GP to up it to 20mg?

Re: Is 5mg Cipralex too low for anxiety

My doctor told me that 20mg is the normal adult dosage. Because I was worried about the side effects I started by cutting the tab in half and only taking 10mg. My doc said that if I was a 50lb 80 year old it would be ok but as a reasonably well built adult it needed to be 20mg to be theraputic.

Quote Originally Posted by shakygirl View Post
    My doctor told me that 20mg is the normal adult dosage. Because I was worried about the side effects I started by cutting the tab in half and only taking 10mg. My doc said that if I was a 50lb 80 year old it would be ok but as a reasonably well built adult it needed to be 20mg to be theraputic.
    That's interesting, i always thought that 10mg was the normal dosage for anxiety.

As you know i'm currently on 5mg, i don't know if i want the doctor to change my medication......I wonder if some of my symptoms may settle down if i were to try and convince the doctor to up the dose to 20mg?

certainly 5mg isnt enough

Joy

Quote Originally Posted by joy View Post
    certainly 5mg isnt enough

Joy
    Hi Joy...........Thank you for your response, my situation is i started getting quite a few symptoms a few weeks ago and i was still on 10mg, however a doctor who i went to see decided to drop me down to 5mg, which is a decision that i found odd.

Do you think if the doctor upped my dose to 20mg then my symptoms may start getting better? or would it backfire on me and the symptoms get worse? i wouldn't want that to happen because if i went upto 20mg and i felt worse due to the increased dose then it would take longer to come off them and try something else.

However a dose of 20mg might be able to control my symptoms better than 5mg, i'm not sure whether 10mg would be any good.

well I'm no Dr but it seems to me you are really suffering from anxiety at the moment and the dose is far too low. Strikes me the doc should have increased not decreased. As you are on such a low dose you could swap to anotherA/d but its for you and the GP to decide especially as the blood test has come back clear

Joy

Thanks again Joy for your message...............

Well i was surprised that my blood tests results were all clear to be honest, i think i would rather not change medication if possible, it may been better to try and get the doctor to up the dose to 20mg, i've tried a few different ones before and they didn't agree with me at all, they made me feel agitated within the first day, I've found these tablets to be ok, they seem to make me eat alot though........

I'm hoping that the doctor will take my concerns seriously though and hopefully they won't just shove me on different medication without me agreeing to it.

I really don't know though whether to try a different medication or to up the dose, i'm in two minds about it to be honest.

I am taking them for anxiety too and the 20mg seems just about right. I am at the just kicking in stage and starting to have some good, positive days.
    Do you have any diazepam? My doc told me to take that in combination with the citalopram until the cit kicked in.
    I am now stopping diazepam over the next few days as I only take 2mg a day and I feel that the good feelings I am getting are now more due to the citalopram than the diazepam.
    Is the doc trying to wean you off it by suggesting 5mg - seems like a really odd thing to suggest if you are feeling more anxious.

well the doc cant make you take what you dont want to!!!! Do a bit of research on cipralex and others and just discuss all the options

Love Joy

Quote Originally Posted by shakygirl View Post
    I am taking them for anxiety too and the 20mg seems just about right. I am at the just kicking in stage and starting to have some good, positive days.
    Do you have any diazepam? My doc told me to take that in combination with the citalopram until the cit kicked in.
    I am now stopping diazepam over the next few days as I only take 2mg a day and I feel that the good feelings I am getting are now more due to the citalopram than the diazepam.
    Is the doc trying to wean you off it by suggesting 5mg - seems like a really odd thing to suggest if you are feeling more anxious.
    Just noticed that you are on different medication to me, I'm on Cipralex, you're on Citalopram, I tried Citalopram before and my body didn't agree with it.

I don't have any Diazepam, i've never been on it, not sure if i would ever want to go on it as i think it can become addictive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information