Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching from Paxil to Zoloft to Citalopram

Exclamation Switching from Paxil to Zoloft to Citalopram

Hey it's me again. I'll be short but will update in a new post, just because I'm very tired tonight cuz of so many panic attacks and just want to be reassured on my new switch to Citalopram.

So big story short, I've got GAD plus severe panic attacks, and I've taken Paxil (30mg - 50mg) over 8 years lapse time. January 8 this year, I switched from Paxil to Zoloft (Sertraline, 150mg) and today (March 6th), I went to the doctor telling him I was worse off panic-wise with the Zoloft, having them everyday for the last week. So my doctor decided to try Celexa (Citalopram) at 20mg's, but of course I have to wean off the Zoloft for a 3 days before even starting to take Citalopram. The doc told me I may have much less panic attacks on this new (well, new to me) medication. So I'm, alright, that,s cool, of course I'll be a couple of weeks with 1- withdrawal effects from one and 2- the time the other one kicks in.

First thing I do when I get home about an hour ago, which I know I shouldn't do, is check wikipedia for Citalopram side-effects. Now, I've never worried that much, cuz the symptoms include things that I really don't wanna live through, like arrhythmia, blood pressure changes, (any cardiovascular side-effect would make me panic). All I want to know basically is: have any of you went by without these side-effects, and if they did occur, do they last only a couple of weeks the time the medication kicks in or is it something that will last the whole treatment. Cuz I've got to bare in mind that my treatment is minimum 2 years and maybe lifelong considering I've been on SSRI's for 9 years now. Just for the info if this may help, I'm 26 years old, male.

Thanks alot.
    Last edited by n3r0x1k; 07-03-08 at 02:49.

Re: Switching from Paxil to Zoloft to Citalopram

Hi
    im currently on day 12 of citalopram and feeling ok i did have side affects but they are easing now the ones ive got now are dizziness and sweating.
    i would give these tablets a good try as they are meant to be so good and the side affects do go after a short period of time.
    each person is different and some people get bad side affect and others get none.
    Give them a try and please come back and let us no how you get on

Hi,

I had side effects for about two weeks after starting 20mg Citalopram. None of these were cardiovascular though. I was sick, shakey, had vision problems and couldn't eat. Four months on I have no side effects at all. It seems to vary so much from person to person that it's hard to generalise but from reading posts on here it seems that not everyone gets side effects and any side effects people do get tend to go after two weeks or so. I suspect that worrying about them will make side effects worse but obvioulsy this isn't hugely helpful under the circumstances.

I've found the medication really really worthwhile - it's pretty much changed my life. When experiencing side effects I found it helpful to remember that they only last a couple of weeks and things will be much beter once the medication kicks in.

Stick with it, and good luck.

Thumbs up Re: Switching from Paxil to Zoloft to Citalopram

hi, i too am on citalopram 30mgs,been on them 6 months and feel great,my side effects included jaw-clenching,weird dreams,and tiredness (probably due to the dreams?) anyway my side effects were not too bad, easily able to be coped with,if you do get side effects then just think of it being another day less till you feel great....as opposed to another day more of the side effects, lol worked for me.take care x

Quote Originally Posted by roziexwx View Post
    hi, i too am on citalopram 30mgs,been on them 6 months and feel great,my side effects included jaw-clenching,weird dreams,and tiredness (probably due to the dreams?) anyway my side effects were not too bad, easily able to be coped with,if you do get side effects then just think of it being another day less till you feel great....as opposed to another day more of the side effects, lol worked for me.take care x
    Did they go away after a certain time?

By the way, to all of you, thanks alot for reassuring me. I'll keep posting on what happens, but right now I haven't started yet cuz I have to lower my Zoloft before, so in a couple of days I'll start.

@willp: when you say "shaky" as one of the side-effects, was it like 24/7 shaking where it's unbearable or just a little shake?

@willispot: Is the dizziness constant, and/or huge?

BTW again, thanks to you all ! I must admit this is stressing me.

Hi
    i had dizziness it was like swaying not room spinning had it for 5 days and its now gone im pleased to say im feeling rather good today
    hope you feel better soon xx

Quote Originally Posted by willitstop View Post
    Hi
    i had dizziness it was like swaying not room spinning had it for 5 days and its now gone im pleased to say im feeling rather good today
    hope you feel better soon xx
    Okay thanks. Nice to see you're feeling better
    I mostly hate the vertigos (which I rarely feel and have probably nothing to do with the meds and haven't started the Citalopram yet, still weaning off the Zoloft, will start in 2 days or 6 days, have to call my pharmacist tomorrow cuz I didn't quite grasp what he told me last time as I was pretty panicky at the drug store and tend to have trouble concentrating when panicking, hehe), but the "swaying" as you call them, I guess I could handle that, if it even happens at all to me, plus the fact they only lasted 5 days for you. All in all, I just want to get through without having to suffer too much and too long before the desired effect comes on.
    Last edited by n3r0x1k; 08-03-08 at 10:25.

Im sure you will be fine
    you can always pm me even if you just fancy a chat it helps to talk to people when your are struggling.
    xx

I was really worried about taking them too but I am just starting 3rd week on them and did not suffer anything too desperate. Bit shaky and nauseous and pretty tired for a couple of days. These effects have gone now and I can feel that the tablets are starting to help with my anxiety too.
    Good luck with them.

yes nr3 my side effects did go away,after about 4 weeks,although i must admit the jaw clenching took a bit longer,but all gone now,i am back at work life is good again.and doing well, life is good again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information