I think there are 2 stages of phobia. One stage are the thoughts based on our fears which are the "what if's" and the other stage being those fears we are actually confronted with.

For instance, the former could be thoughts of "what if" I go out and have a panic attack, "what if" I meet a dog or "what if" I need a loo!

The latter being actually confronted by the phobia we're afraid of.

One of my phobias used to be about public toilets, including at work.

The night before I'd eat Lots of fruit to make me "go" in the morning in the hope I'd empty myself before I got to work. It never worked of course!

As soon as I woke, I'd rush to drink and have breakfast then when I felt like needing "no.1", I'd hold on which made me want "no.2". (Don't ask me the biological reasons for it though!...al I know is it had that effect.)

Anyway, I'd go to the loo thinking I'm ok now, I won't need the loo at work but as soon as I was in the car, my mind would start "thinking" that I had the whole day to get through, "what if" the urge come back and so as the journey went on, the more anxious I became.

By the time I got to work, my tummy was in such an anxious state, I'd aim straight for the loo again! My boss used to say "you're supposed to be working at a certain time..not being in the loo at that time!"

Anyway, I was then confronted by my fear I was trying to avoid and Having to use the loo! I would cover the loo seat with paper and place alot in the loo too! I even took in my own paper to use on myself! I wouldn't even sit on the loo either!

I don't know how long I took but it must have been ages especially after having to clear the blockage I'd created by using too much paper!

Once I'd "emptied", I was normally fine for the rest of the day because once I started working, my mind was "focussed" on my job.

Later I realised I was going about things the wrong way! By trying to prevent myself needing the loo, I was Making myself need one!

I stopped eating so much fruit at night and began to try and change the way I "thought". I found that if I "didn't think" about "what if" I needed a loo and kept myself calm on the journey, I ended up Not needing the loo.

It's the same with all phobias that once we stop fearing something such as panic attacks, we stop "thinking" "what if" they happen and then they don't.

Of course, once we confront our fear of dogs by gradually getting near one, we can overcome that phobia just like anything that is "physical".

However, some we can't "touch" but we still "feel" them in our minds such as when we're on our own either indoors or out. Not "thinking" about it can help as a distraction but it still exists so in this type of case I think the underlying causes need to be treated through possibly therapies such as counselling.

As with all anxiety and phobias though, the power to overcome them is already there within our minds because it's our minds that create them from past bad experiences.